Plastic washboards

This is the place for the great boat tradesmen you've found
neilmac
CompetentCrew

Plastic washboards

Post by neilmac »

H All

Anybody know of a company that can make plastic washboards in Melbourne. I guess i'm talking about Polycarbonate. I already have a set but they're scratched up a bit and chipped.

thanks in advance
Neil M
Farr 7500 SX301
zebedee
Admiral

Re: Plastic washboards

Post by zebedee »

Plastics for Industry, Keysborough
Profile plastics, Bayswater
Plasview, Braeside
Plastics center, Cheltenham.
Datco, Carrum Downs

I've been going to the Plastics Center in Cheltenham for many years.

If you choose to do your washboards in two pieces, get them to do the horizontal cut at 45deg to the surface (eg: bevelled) so the top board overlaps the bottom board and prevents drips.
A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.
Sail4life
Midshipman

Post by Sail4life »

I’ve just bought a 4.5mm tinted acrylic sheet to do my windows. I love the idea of tinted Perspex washboards! Zebedee’s thoughts on the bevel cut is genius.

I’m adding this to my list of upgrades for future. Maybe some 10mm acrylic would look amazing.

Ta for the inspiration Neilmac. 👍

Deejay
Hartley TS18
Noelex 25
8)
neilmac
CompetentCrew

Post by neilmac »

Thanks Zeb. I will check them out. I will give them my present 2 piece washboards as a template.

Just a thought though, any reason why you would not have a single washboard. Most new boats just have a single piece.Seems it would be easier to deal with?
Neil M
Farr 7500 SX301
neilmac
CompetentCrew

Post by neilmac »

Actually scrap that thought of a single washboard. With a 2 piece I can leave the bottom one in if I want and just step over it to get below. Also easier to store. My present ones have a overlapping rabett (see pic)
Attachments
dropboards.jpg
dropboards.jpg (5.3 KiB) Viewed 51 times
Neil M
Farr 7500 SX301
MargGannet
Yachtmaster

Post by MargGannet »

I have a single perspex (?) washboard on the Cav. Made a two piece timber set so I can have one or both in as required, but having recently discovered Profile Plastics for some slidy stuff for the sliding hatch :-) I might get them to make a new clear washboard for me - and split it as well...
Marg
Balderdash Cavalier 30
LC 80 series
Bayswater North, Vic
guzzis3
Able Skipper

Post by guzzis3 »

The rebate joint is harder to make. Another option is lip seal. You can buy sections from a rubber shop (clark rubber etc) that clip over the edge and have a lip that points south. This will cover the lower section and keep out splashes.

It's not a great option but is another option that might suit some..

Personally I have always hated washboards and have nightmares of it being blown overboard but each to their own. Not all boats accommodate the alternatives.

Return to “Recommended Tradesmen”