Imexus 28 Thread

Grith
Inshore Skipper

Imexus 28 Thread

Post by Grith »

Hi All
Just opening up a thread to discuss the Imexus 28 Power Sailer and to connect with other owners and interested people.
I have owned trailer sailers for 38 years having commenced sailing as forward deck hand for a racing Hartley TS 16 when only 10years old making my involvement with trailer sailers now nearly 50 years.
I helped build boats back in the Court Marine days in the 70's in Perth and sailed, raced and cruised many different types including owning several once viewed unconventional trailer sailers like a TT680 Trimaran, Jarcat 6's, a 20 foot strip cedar plank one off 1/8 ton racer with stainless drop keel and bulb along with some old standbys like an RL 24 and several Hartley 16's.
I have sailed, cruised or raced on a huge variety of yachts from these up to monsters of their day including briefly Siska with Roly Tasker, Evelyn with Jack Cassidy.
In relation to the criticisms these new ideas sometimes generate, I was involved as one of the first owners and paddlers of Tupperware Kayaks as the original roto molded plastic kayaks were called in the eighties. I have therefore suffered the slings of derision from the old hands unwilling to look with an open mind at new alternatives.
Yes the first attempts are often flawed and sometimes over marketed but for instance a Perception Dancer from the eighties can still occasionally be found playing in white water when nearly every fiberglass kayak from that period is in landfill somewhere or brittle and unused in the back shed or under someones house.
Now days most kayaks are plastic except for extreme lightweight competition models and this has revolutionized their use and acceptance.
Back then I was literally laughed at yet some 8 years later paddled a Dancer the entire length of the Grand Canyon in the US. This is one of the world's really big white water adventures.
I do ask that the old hands often so quick to dismiss new ideas and their ability to bring new people into the pleasures (and costs!) of sailing go a little easier on new ideas despite there sometimes perceived or actual flaws.
Catamarans and Trimaran owners where also initially treated as absolute outsiders by many in the sailing community yet now are the boat of choice of many for extended cruising and even for racing in the America's Cup. Sacrilege!!
Looking for open discussion and happy to give my advice and views.
Best wishes to all Regards Graeme
Grith
Wellington East South Australia
Imexus 28
Hobie Adventure Islands (sailing trimaran kayaks)
Isuzu NLS AWD with Beyond Slide On Camper
INMA
Admiral

Re: Imexus 28 Thread

Post by INMA »

Graeme, welcome to TSP.

You will find it takes several posts before the site lets you add attachments.

Its good to see someone with your experience join the site.
Nothing is free, abuse the environment and nature will make us pay the cost with interest.

Anyone ignoring the environment, is probably neglecting our children's future.
Grith
Inshore Skipper

Post by Grith »

Hi
With the gradual demise of many older trailer sailers and dwindling numbers participating I feel we need to be more encouraging of people joining our hobby/sport/passtime.
Last year my 13/14yo daughter ( birthday at sea ) and I chartered a 33 foot Beneteau in the Whitsundays during the July School Holidays as I was between yachts.
Admittedly it was only several months after the devastation of Cyclone Debbie but I was dismayed that in 10 days out in the islands we only saw one trailer sailer. Guess what? It wasn't a traditional cruising or racing TS it was a Mac 26M. At the very least they were out there doing it while many of the arm chair critics weren't.
In my view anything that gets people out on the water is worthwhile and with the demise of previous generations of DIYers Trailer Sailing just needs more people participating and most existing TS's are getting pretty old.
The next generation of round the bouy's dingy's and yachts may well be foiling boats with no application for cruising whatsoever. We just need some new designs hitting the water and with so many now exceptionally cheap often very old trailer sailers for sale the manufacturers are seeking a hook to actually sell new boats.
Sometimes I think there are so many armchair critics as they are not sailing that much themselves anymore and just don't want new options pinching their buyers.
I think the other way myself. Get them into something and if they want to upgrade later then they may purchase a more conventional cruising TS.
I admit that after many years of sailing the rather unconventional Jarcat's, which can plane under sail and motor, I kind of like the rush that comes with just occasionally going really fast. My daughter and friends are also not adverse to a little tubing or knee boarding on some rare occasions.
Regards Graeme
Grith
Imexus 28
Wanton
Yachtmaster

Post by Wanton »

Hi Grith,

Congrats on finding a boat that you like. Contrary to perception, I do not mind the new water ballasted yachts, they appeal to a segment of the market, they are luxurious compared to many TS's and if that works and gets the family as a whole into a boat to do a little sailing that is fantastic. I do however draw a line when visiting vendors' sites for these types of boats where their focus is on the size of the motor and mainly showing the yacht charging through the water under motor instead of under sail.

I have seen some Mac owners that have actually downsized their motor as they really do not care to motor at 20 knots, but they love sailing instead. Down sizing the motor on these high profile yachts is not so easy because of windage particularly on approaches to jetties and boat ramps. I am told they are not easy to maneuver with a smaller motor in windy conditions near jetties. But then again neither is my boat with its small outboard and small propeller. Perhaps the vendors are attempting to convert motor boat enthusiasts to consider purchasing their design, and perhaps it may work. I just wish they showed a little more promotional videos of their boats under sail. That way they may just convince old sailors like me to upgrade to these concept yachts, given that most of TS sailing is in sheltered waters and often with the family on board.

Glad you found the boat you sought and welcome to the forum. PS: do not let conservative sailors, like me, discourage you, we are not so anti to forget our manners and not be friendly. I look forward to seeing some more posts from you about your sailing adventures. If you are ever in Victoria let us know on this forum, I look forward to someday meeting you on the water if ever you come to Victoria.
Ed
Wanton C22/110
All I wanna do is sail
http://www.baysidetrailableyachtclub.com
Grith
Inshore Skipper

Post by Grith »

Hi Wanton
Yes I agree with you on the promotion websites. The Imexus 28 website is broken into two sections and it would be great if the order was swapped and the sailing, cruising and interior section was first and a shorter section of just aimlessly tooling around under motor. It would also be better if at least the motoring section had a variety of motoring uses on show like pulling the kids or friends around on water toys, running from a storm front or the difficult bar crossing rather than what it shows.
Personally the long run into the anchorage in dead calm conditions so as to sit back and relax just that much earlier is attractive. Sorry about pinching the best spot but you will be welcome to raft up and join me.
I have already experienced the advantages of the extra speed back to the ramp as several times I have been back and retrieved before the crush turns up 10-15 minutes later.
I admit the internal size and layout were also a factor in my decision and the Imexus
has a nice balance between timber and white gelcoat inside. Ease of access on land and from the dingy was also important. I will look you up if down that way. Regards Graeme
Grith
Imexus 28
Grith
Inshore Skipper

Post by Grith »

Hi All
I have just completed towing a second Imexus 28 Bheara from Perth to Kangaroo Valley in NSW. My best friend and I completed the journey in 3.5 days with only one major incident.
We slept on the yacht for three nights on the way over and averaged about 15.9litres per 100klms into what was a pretty stiff headwind for almost the entire journey behind a 3 litre diesel VW Touareg.
Given the likely combined weight of the yacht and dual axle trailer was just over 3 ton I felt this was acceptable and the VW was supremely comfortable doing it and handled the big hills closer to home without slowing at all. The consumption differences when on the brief occasions we didn't have the headwind were around 2 liters per hundred klms less.
Our one incident in the SA Riverland was on a section of rural freeway where after cresting a small hill on a perfect condition dual lane section we encountered a downhill portion of the road which was a series of huge rolling undulations which setup a cyclical bucking motion. Upon application of both the car and trailer brakes the trailer managed to detach from the cars towing ball due to the huge forces involved.
In reflection if just the trailer brakes alone should have been applied ( car controller) but my friend who was driving had not experienced anything like this before and neither had I.
The huge rolling waves of the road and their specific distance apart just had the trailer and car completely and unexpectedly at odds with one another creating huge forces on the ball connection and braking both car and trailer together pushed these limits just too far.
Fortunately the solid chains, big shackles and break away system all worked as did tying the yacht to the trailer for the long journey which paid off handsomely.
The only damage done was the trailer hitch sliding under and into the car as the car braked to a stop too quickly for the trailer brakes.
Given the relatively fuss free rest of the journey this moment was very sobering indeed.
We were able to reattach everything which was adequate to complete the journey and the hitch unit is now being replaced in case of some unseen structural damage to this.
Despite this one incident ( and the extra learning this has involved) and given the huge distances traveled I am confident that the Imexus VW package can be used as a grey nomading boating /caravan combination as I intend to do in several years when I retire.
Thanks also to my wonderful friends Eric and Flo (Court 750 Erflo) from Roleystone in Perth who helped so much at the Perth end of the project and extra thanks to Eric who has designed and developed an ancillary tiller steering system for my Imexus Supa Dream using Bheara as the prototype mold whilst storing it for me.
For further information please just respond here and I will endeavor to respond. Regards Graeme Smith
Grith
Imexus 28
Grith
Inshore Skipper

Post by Grith »

Hi All I have moved discussion on the Imexus 28 to the member forum under Trailer Yachts. For those interested in these unique powersailers, which have perhaps a more yachting bent than some others, futher info and discussion can be found over there.
Regards Graeme
General internal and sailing layout of Imexus 28
General internal and sailing layout of Imexus 28
CA1FFBFB-7067-4E3F-9CA1-1DA9485AEE99.png (51.92 KiB) Viewed 743 times
Grith
Imexus 28
Grith
Inshore Skipper

Post by Grith »

Hi All Just a final posting on the public forum of the specification details for the Imexus 28 Power Sailer.
Length Overall 8.5m
Beam 2.5m
Draft 0.3m-1.45m
Weight Empty sans motor 1465kg
Swing Keel 65kg
Mast Length 9m
Sail Area Main 16sqm
Genoa 15.5sqm
Headroom at galley 1.85m
780 litres Water ballast in below waterline twin hull chambers.
Different rear berth and rear companionway arrangements for inboard and outboard versions
Queen or King under cockpit (queen inboard engine , KIng outboard) rear berth, generous double v berth and one full length dinette berth and one child’s.
Custom fitted Oak interior cupboards and highlights
Twin rudders, Hydralic Wheel Steering, shore power equiped, inbuilt fuel and water tanks.
Factory on yacht one man mast lowering equipment.
Swim platform and low access stern with twin rung generous custom folding ladder.
Factory stauntions and safety lines with side decks for easier access forward.
Central wheel steering and motor control console which also acts as the mainsheet cockpit mount.
I believe the Imexus 28 is perhaps close to the largest trailable cruising yacht that can be comfortably towed in all states at all times without special restrictions.
From moderate prior cruising experience I feel a flat bottom(drying out) a swing keel( occassional alternate depth sounder), full standing headroom ( I am over 6 foot) and easy access onto the yacht whilst on land, water and jetty ( getting older) and inbuilt really easy mast raising and lowering (one person excersize) are all great attributes. The powersailer bit is just a bonus opening up some other areas of use and cruising grounds along with fast runs to safety or to get settled into the best spots earlier when the wind or conditions are not cooperating. Graeme Smith Kangaroo Valley NSW 🙂
Attachments
Imexus Interior
Imexus Interior
D6F4EBEB-ADCC-42CE-936B-6E84409F58FB.png (101.46 KiB) Viewed 721 times
Imexus Under Sail
Imexus Under Sail
9DD7828B-1493-4493-99A3-A859ECB0A8DE.jpeg (22.79 KiB) Viewed 721 times
Grith
Imexus 28
sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike »

Really comparing a Imexus 28 against a Mac 26 or even a Tattoo 26 is hardly a fair or reasonable comparison. Just the cost for a start, the Imexus did cost close on 3 times the price of a Macgregor, in real terms thats around $80,000 more, you can do a whole lots of upgrades with $80k. (or but 2 more Macs)

I do like the side decks on the Imexus, having side decks would make a huge difference not only to moving around on deck but also allows for the space under the side decks to be used as storage as they have.

Personally I find the interior layout of the Mac to be better thought out, rather than just having 2 bench seats, the full time table and sitting arrangement in the Mac is sensational.

Build quality of the Mac is good, but the finishing bits that you cant see leave a bit to be desired, for example just having the raw fiberglass in the lockers without coating is a bit of a let down, but a lick of paint will fix this.
Cheers Mike
Macgregor 26X SeaYaLater
Hastings Yacht Club
Warneet Motor Yacht Club
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClULxh ... a5w/videos
Grith
Inshore Skipper

Post by Grith »

Hi Mike Yes I entirely agree regarding the huge price difference but it’s more like not quite twice not the three times and $80,000 extra you stated. My near new Imexus cost me around $80,000 which was less than twice an equivilent age and condition Mac 26 and the secondhand one I just sold was only around a third more than the equivilent condition Mac 26’s are selling for.
I know you are a very passionate defender of the Macs and with the scorn sometimes poured on them I entirely understand. I think they are an excellent concept built to a budget for mass market which can then be extensively owner enhanced whilst still remaining fabulous value.
Have you however sailed an Imexus 28 or even walked/crawled over one?
I have sailed and carefully reviewed several Macs. There are very significant differences in value between them perhaps in my view more than the relevant secondhand purchase price differences really recognise. The value of the inboard diesel motors alone on the two I have owned virtually cover the difference in the second hand values never mind the extra size, superior fit and finish, braked electro hydralic dual axle trailers and rigging and sail quality differences. My yacht is parked 6 boats away from a very well maintained and cared for Mac in the yacht club allowing almost direct side by side comparison. From equipment to structural quality, size to comfort, and ability under sail and motor there are definitely differences.
Horses for courses of course and the owner of a V8 Holden can make similar price and other comparative statements about high performance European cars versus his Holden and when buying secondhand there may not be that much difference in price at all.
When mine is thoroughly used, showing it’s age and has been bounced off the odd reef or similar misadventure I expect to take a huge bath on what I paid for it when too old to sail anymore but hopefully I will feel it’s paid me back in use and fun.
The recent one I purchased, swapped trailers and sold wasn’t much dearer than an equivilent age, condition and equipment Mac 26 and had a 120hp mercruiser diesel inboard, marine toilet with holding tank, quality intruments inc wind and GPS, furling Genoa and lazy jacked and bagged mainsail and many other extras.
Each to there own I say and we have something to learn from everyone else.🙂 Graeme
Grith
Imexus 28

Return to “Imexus Water Ballasted”