Ross 650

AZAmagnum
Able Skipper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Ross 650

Post by AZAmagnum » Sep 27th, '17, 20:57

a few pics of our Ross650 at a windy Sussex Inlet regatta in 2017.

I gave the boat up to 6 kids from Port Kembla Sailing Club who normally sail Flying 11's.

The kids had a ball and did well on a "big boat" for their first time. Even put a reef in !
Attachments
IMG_5662.JPG
IMG_5561_small.jpg
Ross780 Mk3

Jeffw
Midshipman

Re: Ross 650

Post by Jeffw » Dec 14th, '20, 16:38

I have just bought a Ross 650 from down your way. Can you tell me if you were ever able to raise the mast by yourself and if so, how did you do it.
Regards, Jeff

Jeffw
Midshipman

Post by Jeffw » Jan 13th, '21, 13:07

Hi All,
Further to my question on raising my Ross 650 mast my new best friend Chris Keevers came up with the solution. By making the top of the keel winch removable I was able to reduce the height of my crutch pole from 2.7 to just under 2 metres. Now there is much less angle on the mast to step it. Still working on blocks etc to complete the system. Am also thinking of fitting a highfield lever to the forstay. Any comments on this? If I knew how to post pics here I have a few to show. Thanks for all of your input.

bachus
Yachtmaster

Post by bachus » Jan 13th, '21, 15:10

I fitted a CS Johnson Hyfield lever (imported) to the Castle 650 forestay. Works well. Can get quite high tensions on the forestay now without winching the mast forward using the spinnaker halyard to get the forestay into position (and without the resulting stress on the mast sheeves). My forestay is currently set up to 35 on the loos gauge (40 under full backstay tension). I could only get 30/35 before. Other point it is very quick to release the rig tensions during mast up storage.
Jim
Castle 650 #96. Mystic.
Towing with Ford Territory SZII TX AWD

zebedee
Admiral

Post by zebedee » Jan 13th, '21, 18:06

Jeffw wrote:
Jan 13th, '21, 13:07
Am also thinking of fitting a highfield lever to the forstay. Any comments on this?
I reckon my highfield lever is a Good Thing (tm). Make sure it doesn't interfere with the bottom hank on your jib/genoa.
Jeffw wrote:
Jan 13th, '21, 13:07
If I knew how to post pics here I have a few to show.
There are two ways to insert an image into your post:
  • If the image already exists somewhere on the internet and you know the location (url), you can insert the url between (img)http://somewhere.on.the.net.com/yourimage.jpg(/img) tags, but using [square brackets] not (round brackets)
  • If you have the image on your computer you can "attach" it to your post using the "attachments" tab below the editing window and following the instructions.
A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.

Return to “Ross Trailable Yachts”