My RL24, "VENDETTA" and the rebuild

Project boats, Tips and Tricks for anything you have done to your RL
Pirate
Inshore Skipper

My RL24, "VENDETTA" and the rebuild

Post by Pirate »

Thanks for the RL section Jeff 8)

I had a tough decision or 5 to make, the missus put her foot down about me taking the 2 younglings out on the catamaran, its not safe, they sit ON it and I want them to be IN a boat so they cant fall off and drown :roll: blah blah blah .....anyhow, I'd always had the hankering for a larger boat to cruise on, my mates have all gone off in their caravans to explore the country..... meh ! seen it all over the many years I've done charity rallies and driving around with a caravan just isn't my thing

Simple Solution -> buy a trailer sailer :mrgreen:

The next issue became which one :shock:
The local club has a mix of trailables and coming off a fast catamaran onto a mono-slug just wasn't going to happen, I'd noticed that there was a strong fleet of RL's in the area and a former champion as well that I had known from my days back on my Impara Cadet as a junior sailer.
Obviously Lanie wasn't about to let me even look at much else but an RL but I managed to sneak in here and learn my way around a few things and got some great advice in the meantime.

Eventually all the stars aligned and with pockets of cold hard cash and a handshake a deal was done and I now own an RL 24
:mrgreen:
and now the real work begins......
links to a couple of my questions threads
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12898
&
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12973
Yar, & this ere post be done without a sin'le drop o' rum passin' me lips ..... maybe ;)
https://www.facebook.com/RL24LightningJack/
Pirate
Inshore Skipper

Re: My RL24, "VENDETTA" and the rebuild

Post by Pirate »

As it happened "my boat" was up in the Ballina region and me, well I've got a 19hour drive to go and get her, the owners however were cruising Tassie and the long weight of them to return home and me keeping it all on the hush hush wasn't an easy task by any means, as it eventually turned out I had a function I wanted to attend in TweedHeads and the owners would be home at the time of my trip up.... finally something was going to plan

After 19 hours up, a week to have some RnR and pick up the RL it was time to leave sadly, and 24hours later we arrived back home much to the joy of my 2 young boys
My youngest, Jensen who is all of 5, came running down from the house yelling dad, dad, dad, then stopped dead in his tracks and turned back to mum on the verandah and yells mum, mum, mum, dad bought a ship !!
Seems I've won a heart already !!!!!

Needless to say they spent the following day trying to find a can of black paint to paint the boat and have named her the Black Pearl after a certain film ;)
certainly NOT happening !!!

pics from the owners website add...

Yar, & this ere post be done without a sin'le drop o' rum passin' me lips ..... maybe ;)
Pirate
Inshore Skipper

Post by Pirate »

So why this particular RL you may well ask..... and why go for a ~40hour drive just to have a boat on top of that ????

One thing I'd noticed in looking around at various boats was ...
1/ The Racer -> set up mainly for club racing and usually bare to the bones interior wise
2/ The Cruiser-> set up to cruise but generally with old but proven sails that sort-of need replacing
3/ The Renovator-> damn cheap but needs cash and labour to bring it back to a good base
&
4/ the Bit-sa -> does a bit or racing, does a bit of crusing, needs a few things fixed....... and generally doesn't exceed well in any of the fields !!!..... translation => spend way more cash on every department !!!!
This RL tho was a pure racer, several sets of sails to suit the skiff mast or the cruising mast, the actual sailing hardware is all good stuff but she is bare inside from the weight reduction that someone has done way back when the decision was made to race her seriously, just how much has been removed I'm still discovering some gems that are hidden away from her past lives with the previous owners.

again from the add...
There are two (2) complete skiff rigs
One for Racing ~ One for Cruising
comprising:
2 masts,
2 mylar mainsails fully battened,
4 mylar headsails,
a spinnaker and detachable pole,
all in good condition.

Swing Keel

15 HP Tohatsu outboard
runs well

Tandem Trailer recently inspected and registered.
New trailer springs, bushes, U bolts just installed.

Stored under cover for the last two years.

Inside is a basic fit out ready for racing or handy person to add value.
as it turned out there's actually 3 mylar mains, 4 mylar heads, & 2 Dacron heads in the sail department, so a good selection for both running as a skiff rigged boat or for cruising.

So my decision was based very much on the 'replacement value' of the hardware only, it was going to be far cheaper for me to add the minor bits and pieces to make her a weekender again compared to buying a new wardrobe of sails for a boat that was setup to cruise, seems logical then yeah ???

more pics.....

and Jack (previous owner) fiddling with the swing keel's electric winch wiring...
Pirate
Inshore Skipper

Post by Pirate »

The odd thing about this RL was the complete lack of 2 distinct things that I still don't quite understand and can not find any info anywhere that would assist me in finding some of this boats past history

1/ she has no name :shock:
I cant find a damn thing on any of her gear that suggests a name, nothing, not a sausage, not even a glimpse of there ever being a name anywhere on any of the gear including the hull. Even the previous owner couldn't get a name for her from the guys he purchased her from....

2/ she has no sail number
nothing, not even a number that says it maybe this or that that I could use to identify her, and whilst there are lots of "measured approvals' on nearly all of the sails and quite a number of texta signatures and a few numbers too there's nothing to say its sail number "this one"

Even the official RL site didn't help much in the way of discovering her name or number either from active forum or private messages, she simply doesn't seem to have a traceable past as such at this point in time that I can find......
:?

The 2 youngest kids are now warming up the black paint and the 8yearold (Damon) has been practising writing The Black Pearl on the white board, and yes they found a jolly roger flag..... things aren't looking good
:shock:
things are starting to worry me, I cant even add her to the RL24 registrar, she has no name or sail number, what to do ???

And that's about when lady luck popped in for a cuppa
I'd moved the sails out of the cabin and had unrolled each sail and taken a few pics as the day was coming to an end, and a few had been a tad dark but mostly I had enough shots for my insurance girl to be happy.
With the pressure off at work and some available "boat time" but sadly a shocker of a day outside, I had some me time to actually have proper look at the pics I'd snapped off in a hurry..... 2 of the mylar mains have this unusual 'V' on them .... its slightly larger than the RL24 logo but in a similar place on the 2 sails, this had me stuffed, why would this weird 'V' be on the sails ???

V.......
the grey matter rolled over n groaned momentarily before muttering the name of that film.....
V for Vendetta....

We had a name..... and oddly enough, why have a number when you can have a letter instead

her name is now Vendetta, and her sail number is V

Pirate
Inshore Skipper

Post by Pirate »

Couple more pics to finish off the night

Last edited by Pirate on Jul 19th, '15, 16:47, edited 1 time in total.
ray on the bay
Able Skipper

Post by ray on the bay »

maybe its a ghost ship
Ultimate 18S Allanah

"Water Cures All"
Pirate
Inshore Skipper

Post by Pirate »

that's all the kids would want to hear

I had a list of names that I was going over and over in my head but none had that distinct "yeah that fits" feel about them, I had a few that were like "Never Again II" but I don't know that for sure, I may well go bigger one day..... one I almost left a damp spot in the pants form by laughing so hard was "Wasted Seamen"
Image the missus just couldn't see the funny side of that one.... so I was sort of stuck until I saw that weird 'V'

I'm more than happy with the name, it fits just right
:twisted:

Pancho 43
Inshore Skipper

Post by Pancho 43 »

Hello Pirate, a bit over 7 years ago I bought a Farr 6000 that appears to have never had a name either.

Interesting that you've decided on the name of the ship that a mate of mine spent his Navy days on. While enjoying a Pub lunch with him and my Brother in law Rob, a few years ago, (They had only just met for the first time), he mentioned that name and immediately Rob said "So that was you that dropped short on us" in some battle in Viet Nam. I can't remember the name of the battle or it's location. Further discussions revealed that Rob and his troup had been almost wiped out by friendly fire from Vendetta. Rob said that it had been the most frightening episode of his entire tour of duty and that he was being sprayed by detrius back from the blasts in front of him. Scary stuff!!

Cheers, Pete.
Farr 6000 "Just Farr Me"
Pirate
Inshore Skipper

Post by Pirate »

g'day Pete,
yeah I scoured both the boat and the gear for signs of a name and can not for the life of me find a thing anywhere on anything that came with the boat that even drops a hint of her past, most unusual to say the least, I guess its the old saying of why give it a name if it wont come when you call it, which is actually a real boat name
:shock:

I fully expected to find a name in texta on one of the PFD1s or life ring, perhaps on a sail bag even but nothing

So many questions and absolutely not an answer in sight

Kingy
Pirate
Inshore Skipper

Post by Pirate »

I know she's been set up as a cruiser at some stage and probably only for 2 people, there are signs that suggest she had additional cabinets fitted at some stage where the side bunks are, I've also found she still has a stainless steel water tank fitted and the deck filler is still in place but all the lines have been removed except for about 3foot. The sink tap is not a "caravan pump" type, its a normal household sink tap and there are signs that a small pump was at some stage fitted ( probably a bilge type pump

After crawling into some of the harder confined places to get to I've found a 'users guide' for a sonar and what's left of a hand written notes for a GPS plotter, screw holes that have long since been filled in also suggest these were mounted near the cabin entry at some stage just above the floating ball compass that's luckily still fitted., on the other side there's been other instruments fitted as well but I can only guess as to what, 3 holes suggest a barometer or such as they are in a perfect circle with a ~6inch diameter, beside that there are the remains of another set of holes in an almost identicle layout, a clock perhaps ?

the bow and stern navigation lights are still fitted to the railings but the port and starboard side lights have been removed although I can make out where they were once fitted, probably removed to allow easier access forward and aft when racing.

The rear railing has at some stage had something hanging off of it, there are short bits of the extensions and supports remaining all be it only a couple of inches of each, as to what they once supported is anyone's guess, a solar panel perhaps, LPG cylinder, maybe even a small dingie could have been hung from it.
So in placing everything in perspective, it was in my mind once a well set up cruiser, my job now is to replace what has been removed.
Pirate
Inshore Skipper

Post by Pirate »

I've also found a LPG on/off tap with an inch or so of copper pipe still attached on the 'stove side' inside one of the storage departments and the rear buoyancy chamber beside the outboard well has the remains of a rubber LPG hose still fitted which tends to favour an LPG stove was once fitted

The actual stove area has been cut away completely and the bunk base area is now extended into that region, I can make out the area where the glass surround was once fitted for the stove even tho its been well and truly cut out almost to the point of being flush with the hull

My main issue at the moment is the stove
I knew it didn't have one fitted well before the purchase date and I'd been watching the usual sites for availability of a good 2nd hand unit, so far tho my luck keeps deserting me at the critical moment, since finding the remnants of the LPG gear I believe she once had an LPG stove fitted and from the size of the "box" that's been cut away I wouldn't be supprised if it was one with an oven and if not then the simple twin burner would have sat rather high up to allow for utensil storage under the stove

The hard choice now is to hang out for a metho stove and probably pay a pretty penny for it or go for a LPG stove similar to the campervan style units, twin burner with a griller....toast !!!

Kingy
zebedee
Admiral

Post by zebedee »

When I was eighteen, I once spent a happy hour or so upstairs in the student union at Monash with a couple of fellow engineering students, a disposable cigarette lighter, an empty coke can and an empty 250ml fruit juice bottle.

We started out by filling the can with gas and lighting it, as 18yos do. Then we started getting clever.

By the time we finished, we were knocking ceiling tiles loose with the bottle, projected mortar style from the can, driven just by butane from a disposable lighter. Repeatedly. All from just one disposable lighter; it really didn't take very much butane to knock out a ceiling tile.
Pirate wrote:The hard choice now is to hang out for a metho stove and probably pay a pretty penny for it or go for a LPG stove similar to the campervan style units, twin burner with a griller....toast !!!
While I'll happily concede that the open space around the outboard well in an RL is adequately ventilated (it certainly isn't a "bouyancy chamber"!), even quite a small leak or unnoticed extinguished flame inside the cabin has the potential to comprehensively destroy the boat. The bottom of the hull, supported by lots of water, won't go anywhere. The deck will depart.

[youtube][/youtube]

See? I told you the deck would depart!
A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.
sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike »

Here you go for the stove. the Sunmaid has a Maxi, but the Mac has an Origo which I find much better, easier to light and no flare ups
http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_odkw ... acat=26443

Or http://www.seabreeze-industries.com.au/ ... stoves-112
Cheers Mike
Macgregor 26X SeaYaLater
Hastings Yacht Club
Warneet Motor Yacht Club
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClULxh ... a5w/videos
SeawayVolcano
Able Skipper

Post by SeawayVolcano »

I had to laugh at your description of why you got a TS. My wife insisted I stop lashing my 4 year old to the trampoline when sailing between various islands in the Whitsundays on a 16 foot catamaran. He's been happily travelling that way since he could first crawl. Anyone who has sailed the Whitsundays in trade winds season though will understand her thoughts.

So I bought a 'big Hartley TS18'. that made her happy for a few years. It had sides.

At the moment I have what my now ex-wife calls BOGG, sitting in the corner of her bay yard. BOGG is short for the Big Orange Garden Gnome. Her real name is Pacemaker and she's slowly being converted into a cruising yacht.

The Porta Potti will run on Napisan as always so there's no smell. It is going inside a custom step in the companionway. That way is is easily accessible and can be closed off for privacy from the cock pit by a storm board and from the sleeping area by a curtain. And it gives a place to step into the boat and also a spare seat.

She's also got space for 100kg of water in 5 litre containers under the vee berth, and two 25kg lead slabs each side of the centreboard (100kg). There's a 30kg lead slab going in the space in front of the compression post and the 100AH battery will be bolten on top of that. All lead slabs are having stainless rigging wire 'handles' built into them so the lead can be lifted out and carried in the van. Makes it more legal on the single axle trailer I have. Pacemaker only has about 95kg ballast as she was designed, so adding another 250kg where Rob Legg suggested, should make her better for cruising and should not affect speed with a couple of people on board.

Other than that, she's a bit like yours. Old and full of potential.

As for the RAN destroyer vendetta. I have memories of time aboard her in the 1960's. From memory she was the first Aussie warship to have her steel plates all welded together instead of riveted, but I could be wrong. We oldies sometimes forget stuff.

Anyway, I thought the dunny idea might be useful. It is hard finding a place for a dunny that doesn;t intefere with life aboard.

Life was so much easier in the days of 'bucket and chuck it'.
Cheers,

RossD
There's not enough room to swing a cat in the Seaway 25 cabin.
Don't ask the cat how I know...
Pirate
Inshore Skipper

Post by Pirate »

Zeb,
I'll happily concede that LPG can be a dangerous thing as you've said & now shown, the key thing from the vid is maintenance of the system. The efforts they went to in order to show the possible effects..... gaffa taping up some "leaking" areas, direct flow of LPG from the two cylinders = a really bad scenario :shock: but I felt it was somewhat an over staged excersize
I think a well placed manual on/off tap and even a 12volt lockout solenoid from an automotive LPG setup would decrease the dangers dramatically but only if they are USED at the appropriate times.

The rubber LPG hose I spoke of in the "bouyancy chamber" is actually inside the chamber beside the outboard well, the only access I have to it is to remove the screw in hatch cover that's beside the actual motor, as to where this hose originally went to I don't know, it would be virtually impossible to put an LPG cylinder in through the hatch hole let alone do up a fitting one handed whilst not being able to see what one was doing..... I suspect the cylinder may have been mounted on the transom and if not then perhaps the rear rail extension may have carried it....

Its all guess work tho and I'll never really know how it all went.

I'll get some photos done of what is still there and the locations of the remaining bits, that may help in the description of the past.

Kingy
Pirate
Inshore Skipper

Post by Pirate »

Thanks for the links Mike.... added to the eBay watch list for now
:wink:
Pirate
Inshore Skipper

Post by Pirate »

SeawayVolcano wrote:....The Porta Potti will run on Napisan as always so there's no smell.

.......Anyway, I thought the dunny idea might be useful. It is hard finding a place for a dunny that doesn;t intefere with life aboard.

Life was so much easier in the days of 'bucket and chuck it'.
New potti has been ordered :mrgreen:
The missus was in no way happy with the bucket n chuck it idea, & there was no way in hell a 2ndhand unit would have been excepted either
:lol:

Good idea on the napisan, I've not heard of this before 8)

Haven't decided on the location as yet but companionway is looking like the place to be

Thanks for the tips

Kingy
( better get me ugly butt off to work now to earn the money to pay for the boat....)
Bligh
Yachtmaster

Post by Bligh »

Quick question on the napisan, Mike told me to use about 1 cup and I have forgotten where, top tank, holding tank or both.
Cole 23 Saltire-Yamaha 9.9-]Nissan Navara 2.5 CRTD Hyundai 120 and Tucson
Skipper Iain-Sanctimonious Pedant
Bosun Rosemary-Who cares
Bilge Rat Soc (dog)Where's my feed bowl
Stowaways-Sarah & Kate
Warneet Motor Yacht Club-Ultimate Association-SICYC
colect149
Yachtmaster

Post by colect149 »

Peace of mind can be important, properly installed and used LPG can be OK, but for mine there would always be that nagging thought that something bad can happen. We have LPG in the campervan, if I think of it I turn off at the gas bottle before going to bed. The Origo is as foolproof and safe as any stove can be. Unlike the Maxi it can be lit and turned off and on at will, it cant flare up and it cannot leak metho if one burner goes out (the cause of most on board fires) It does not vaporise as well as the Maxi, so there is some smell, but again peace of mind is important for me anyway.
Boatless. Kia Sportage 2L FWD, Jayco 13 Sprite, 1967 MGB roadster, 1932 Austin 7 Box Saloon,
Previous:- TS500, Ultimate 18, Cole 23, Laser, Ultimate16, Farr6000, Hardy 18 Motor Sailor, Farr7500, Farr5000.
sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike »

Bligh wrote:Quick question on the napisan, Mike told me to use about 1 cup and I have forgotten where, top tank, holding tank or both.
Bottom tank, also a a bit in the top tank helps, wont break the waste down like the expensive smelly stuff does but stops the odours, best done a day before to get the enzyme action working before you start depositing, I also used hot water to boost it along the way before use.

With the added bonus Nappysan or generic product makes excellent deck cleaner, so very handy to keep on the boat
Cheers Mike
Macgregor 26X SeaYaLater
Hastings Yacht Club
Warneet Motor Yacht Club
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClULxh ... a5w/videos
Bligh
Yachtmaster

Post by Bligh »

And laying down dunny roll in a cross on the flap prevents stains, I may have posted this before but can't remember.
Cole 23 Saltire-Yamaha 9.9-]Nissan Navara 2.5 CRTD Hyundai 120 and Tucson
Skipper Iain-Sanctimonious Pedant
Bosun Rosemary-Who cares
Bilge Rat Soc (dog)Where's my feed bowl
Stowaways-Sarah & Kate
Warneet Motor Yacht Club-Ultimate Association-SICYC
Pirate
Inshore Skipper

Post by Pirate »

couple of pics of the "V" on 2 of the mains..... this also shows some of the odd numbers I have on the sails

sorry about the blur ..... was laughing at the cats that were having a ball on the crinkly sail material
:lol:
Pirate
Inshore Skipper

Post by Pirate »

an example of some of the hand written (in texta) notes that are on most of the sails

and the "stamped on" number/letter sets that are also on most of the sails..... no 2 sails have the same numbers.... :|

the next 2 are of the same sail...

Pirate
Inshore Skipper

Post by Pirate »

I have no idea as to what many of the numbers represent, but many of the hand written notes seem to be all dated as in an official measurers signature and then there's just random numbers in texta like 787, 784 , 150 , 625.... none of these make any sense at all. Each sail has these random texta numbers and the stamped in number/letter combo, they also each have the date/signature on them aswell
:?

thoughts :?:
Pirate
Inshore Skipper

Post by Pirate »

the spinnaker and its markings....

Return to “RL24 & RL28”