We bought an RL 28.

Project boats, Tips and Tricks for anything you have done to your RL
Tumbleweed
Yachtmaster

Re: We bought an RL 28.

Post by Tumbleweed »

just curious if you think the BBQ is a safe distance from the fuel tanks that sit beside the motor in the well? I was thinking of getting a BBQ but thought I may need to mount it off a stanchion further forward.

I like the style of companion way door you have, mine is two panels that fit vertically. Can you please get some shots of your doors for me as I was just thinking today that it would be good to make up a new one in the original style.

It would also be nice to have a shot of your motor well if that's possible. Just curious to see if mine is normal or not :)

she looks pretty happy to be with new owners :)
--
RL28 "Windale" Located in Yeppoon, QLD

I used to have ambitions and then I started sailing, now everything else just seems pointless.......(Bixler McClure)
zebedee
Admiral

Post by zebedee »

Tumbleweed wrote:...I like the cabin roof hatch might have to do that although those hatches are around $400-$500...
I saw one of those hatches, new, on either fleabay or gumtree a while back for a fraction of that price. Be patient and set a good search with emails on ebay.

edit: It was ebay, 300mm square, new, $150.
A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.
Cooper
Admiral

Post by Cooper »

Had not thought about the fuel tanks TW. We took the barbecue off yesterday anyway as I did not like it stuck out there all the time. Plus, the gas bottle sitting on top of the cleat made berthing somewhat awkward.

We are going back up on sunday at this stage so will get some shots of all the stuff that you are interested in and will post them in this thread.

Coops.
Some people are like clouds. When they go away it makes the day seem brighter.
Tumbleweed
Yachtmaster

Post by Tumbleweed »

zebedee wrote:
Tumbleweed wrote:...I like the cabin roof hatch might have to do that although those hatches are around $400-$500...
I saw one of those hatches, new, on either fleabay or gumtree a while back for a fraction of that price. Be patient and set a good search with emails on ebay.

edit: It was ebay, 300mm square, new, $150.
I think that hatch is bigger than 300mm x300mm. But yes bargains do come around. The hatch I got was cheaper to buy and get delivered from the UK $400 so I went to order there. They pointed me to the Aussie rep. He wanted $600. I went back to the UK mob and they got the local guy to honour the $400. Nice aluminium frame and real glass. A nice hatch.
--

I used to have ambitions and then I started sailing, now everything else just seems pointless.......(Bixler McClure)
Cooper
Admiral

Post by Cooper »

We are going to measure them for insect screens anyway so will let you know on sunday.

Coops.
Steady Ed
Midshipman

Post by Steady Ed »

Coops do you cover it up while on the hardstand.? Im thinking mine is going up to Horizon Shores shortly. Went up a few weeks ago to inpect. Good facilities. Just trying to work out what sort of cover to put on with mast up. Just tarps i guess. Nice boat to by the way.
I've reached the age where 'happy hour' is a nap.

Ed.
zebedee
Admiral

Post by zebedee »

The common standard hatch size is 19" (500mm) square. Everybody and his dog seem to make hatches to suit that particular size.

I've seen about 5 or 6 RL28s around Paynesville in the last few days, having never really noticed them before.
A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.
Cooper
Admiral

Post by Cooper »

We did make a kind of cover out of a grey tarp for the Coronet while it was there. It lasted a year before we brought the boat home and added an extra 15 mins at each end of the day. I always had keelers down in Sydney and they sat out in the weather all the time without covers. Not sure if we will cover this one at all yet,

Coops.
Cooper
Admiral

Post by Cooper »

Ed, if you are considering Horizon Shores they have a deal that if you pay for a year up front you get an extra three months free. :lol:

Coops.
sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike »

taminga16 wrote:Cooper, when do we get 'Too old to sail?' My dear friend and mentor Ray is 87, still sailing and winning I might add.
Greg.
We have an old guy Max down at Warneet, he is in his mid 80's and sails a Boomerang 20 (No 46 I think) that he has owned from new.

He and his wife are regular sailors and also spend lots of time kayaking on PPB, they are such a lovely couple, I always go out of my way to help them with boat handling as poor old max is deaf as a post and half blind and his poor wife who is a couple of years younger get foredeck duty when they are leaving or docking, can you imagine walking up to the foredeck and doing rope work in your mid eighties on a 20 TS?

She even has to hank the jib as Max who would like a furler cant really see the point of it at this late stage.

They are such a great and sweet couple and can often be seem swanning around Warneet of PPB in their bathers :lol:
Cheers Mike
Macgregor 26X SeaYaLater
Hastings Yacht Club
Warneet Motor Yacht Club
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClULxh ... a5w/videos
Steady Ed
Midshipman

Post by Steady Ed »

Cooper wrote:Ed, if you are considering Horizon Shores they have a deal that if you pay for a year up front you get an extra three months free. :lol:

Coops.
Excellent, thanks for the info.
I've reached the age where 'happy hour' is a nap.

Ed.
Cooper
Admiral

Post by Cooper »

We went up yesterday to pull up the sails and check over a few things. So, we got some photos for TW as requested.

First, the companionway doors.

The outboard well.

The davits.

A couple of the interior as well.

The hatches are 500x500 as Zeb said. :D

Coops.
Tumbleweed
Yachtmaster

Post by Tumbleweed »

thanks for that :)

Your well is pretty different to mine, I will have to get some pics. Mine has a cutout and lowered section of the cockpit floor. There is also a SS bracket allowing you to lift and tilt the motor forward clear of the water.
--

Cooper
Admiral

Post by Cooper »

I think that I am going to try and get one of those tilt assist brackets.

The davits will probably be for sale later in the year if you are at all interested as I am going to get a stainless permanent bimini made and mount the solar panels on it as well.

Coops.
Tumbleweed
Yachtmaster

Post by Tumbleweed »

thanks but no thanks. I like the idea but too big and too much windage and weight up high.

my OB bracket looks home made, its nice and simple and works a treat. I will get a photo tomorrow.
--

Cooper
Admiral

Post by Cooper »

No worries, I just thought that I would tell you in case. :D

Coops.
Cruisinpete
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Post by Cruisinpete »

Congratulations on your purchase Coops, you will never look back once you have standing headroom on a trailer sailer :-)
I installed a Mercury 9.9 4 stroke short shaft with high thrust prop on RL 28 Puwina. The dealer had to modify it a bit to make it tilt up in the well, part of the deal on the sale. Like the idea of exhaust piped out the back Loyd, will look into that.
Pete
RL 28 Puwina
TS 16 Breezin
Paper Tiger Beanna
Cooper
Admiral

Post by Cooper »

We ordered that exact motor on monday and it should be here tomorrow. What was the modification if you can remember?

Coops.
Cruisinpete
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Post by Cruisinpete »

Not sure exactly, it was to do with the the release ratchet. Without modification it would not go far enough up to release to go back down. The Mechanic modified it to it does not have to go so high to release. Hard to hear the click and if I lift too high it will not stay up. Works well though when accustomed to it.
RL 28 Puwina
TS 16 Breezin
Paper Tiger Beanna
Furstin
Admiral

Post by Furstin »

Might take the davits coops. Pm with details. M.
Cooper
Admiral

Post by Cooper »

You have first refusal when the time comes. :wink:

Coops.
lloydyboy53
Inshore Skipper

Post by lloydyboy53 »

Hey Coops.
I made a bracket styled on this principle, but modified it so that it is made out of alluminium angle and it bolts onto the rear blkhd rather than through the floor. much easier and leakproof.
I will take a photo and post it but I got this one off the RL sitein tips and mods
Cheers John
http://www.rlyachts.net/tips-RL28MotorTilt.asp

RL28 Pinarroo Series100 Landcruiser
Cheers John
RL28 Pinnaroo, Ford Ranger XLT
Bligh
Yachtmaster

Post by Bligh »

I like the frame for the solar panels, do they go into the deck or sit just above it?
Cole 23 Saltire-Yamaha 9.9-]Nissan Navara 2.5 CRTD Hyundai 120 and Tucson
Skipper Iain-Sanctimonious Pedant
Bosun Rosemary-Who cares
Bilge Rat Soc (dog)Where's my feed bowl
Stowaways-Sarah & Kate
Warneet Motor Yacht Club-Ultimate Association-SICYC
Cooper
Admiral

Post by Cooper »

The frame/davits fasten to the pushpit with U bolts and just touch the transom. Easy to turn around and face forward giving more shade to the cockpit until get a permanent bimini made and fasten the panels on top of that.

Coops.
Cooper
Admiral

Post by Cooper »

This week so far. New motor was fitted just before the weekend. Rigging tuned/adjusted, the backstay system changed from fixed to an adjustable one. New sheet and blocks for the self tacking system. Cockpit and anchor well marine carpeted as well as all lockers inside and out( we had a about 15 metres of the ribbed stuff spare).

The new yard trailer arrives tomorrow so we will fit some soft rubber to the beds for her to rest on and get the big girl out of the water.

Return to “RL24 & RL28”