We bought an RL 28.

Project boats, Tips and Tricks for anything you have done to your RL
Furstin
Admiral

Re: We bought an RL 28.

Post by Furstin »

My eBay one has shown UV breakdown of the cover. The aluminium frame had a small bend in 35knots. Other than that I'd buy it again. Its about 18 months old and I recon its good for over 3 years, would need a new cover after 2.
Cooper
Admiral

Post by Cooper »

How about $2780. :shock: Then, to rub it in a little, small print, "GST not included". Needless to say a two word response was forthcoming. :lol:

Coops.
Some people are like clouds. When they go away it makes the day seem brighter.
MoodyBlue
Administrator

Post by MoodyBlue »

Coops,
Why not buy a $125 fleabay unit, strip it apart, and copy the aluminium tube in Stainless, then reassemble using the fittings and canvas?

With samples to copy from most small engineering places will do it for you. I know thin SS tube needs a good bender. The cheap hydraulic ones usually kink the tubing.
"There is no perfect boat. There are only those shaded to your preferences.":-)
Furstin
Admiral

Post by Furstin »

The canvas is the weak point also.... They are what they are, and will last a few years at least if put away and covered when not in use.
Cooper
Admiral

Post by Cooper »

It's got a cheapo-cheapo production one on it now. I could just use that as a pattern Jeff, then change the plastic fittings for stainless. After that I could get a trimmer to finish the job with good material. I reckon it would cost below $1000 doing it that way. I could just keep buying a new one every two or three years as well. I will be dead most likely before I get to $3000 that way. :D

Coops.
zebedee
Admiral

Post by zebedee »

For $3000 you get sides and a back, right? And fly screens and a dodger, and a flexible solar panel built in?

Right? Surely?
A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.
sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike »

zebedee wrote:For $3000 you get sides and a back, right? And fly screens and a dodger, and a flexible solar panel built in?

Right? Surely?
You mean like this one from Blue Water Yachts in the US http://bwyachts.com/web%20catalog%20312 ... losure.htm

and that includes the dodger all the sides, a bimini and the joiners from the bimini to the dodger
Cheers Mike
Macgregor 26X SeaYaLater
Hastings Yacht Club
Warneet Motor Yacht Club
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClULxh ... a5w/videos
Cooper
Admiral

Post by Cooper »

Well, we have spent two days motorcycling this week and half a day at the beach. The weather forecast was for 15 knot southerlies for today so we said, of course, let's go sailing.

We set off from the marina and the water was like glass. :roll: Figured that we would pootle north and wait for the wind to arrive. It didn't. After motoring for a couple of hours on this sheet glass we decided to have lunch just moored off of Russell Island. After that it was time to go home and guess what? That's right, the wind piped up and we were motoring into a fresh southerly all the way back. :D Not the day we planned but as we all keep saying, it sure beats working. :wink:

Coops.
maxbicyclemax
Able Skipper

Post by maxbicyclemax »

Is there nothing interesting south from Horizon?
Seems it would have been near perfect swapping up for down :roll:
Classic C18 as seen on front cover of Cruising Helmsman January 1983.
Has anybody out there got a copy of that magazine?
Cooper
Admiral

Post by Cooper »

We based our direction on the forecast and figured that we would get some blow to go north. Our mistake there, yes. :D The reason that we go north whenever possible is that it is always quieter that way. The nearer that you get to the Gold Coast the more white boats and jet skis you encounter. Plus, who wants to look at buildings when you can look at natural stuff? :wink:

The only reason that I would choose to go south, other than wind direction, is to go out through the seaway and enjoy the ocean.

Coops.
Cooper
Admiral

Post by Cooper »

Today was forecast as the first rain free day of the week and 12 knots or so predicted abating after lunch. We set the alarm for 6am, bloody cold, fired up the poota, looked at the wind speed and it said 6 knots at the marina. Sod it we are going anyway.

Got there and not a breath. In the water at 9.30 and then the wind picked up from the west. Seriously, we sailed all day, well 5 hours, up and down and for some reason no matter which direction we headed the wind decided that we were going to windward all day. Did not matter though. It was sunny, heeling nicely at 10-15 degrees with an occasional 25 degree bullet thrown in. :D

Great fun was had and to top it off, when we got back to the marina the guys had seen us coming and had the trailer in the water, I pulled up the keel, and the rudder near fully up, then I just drove it straight on and they pulled us out. Never done that with a yacht ever before. :roll:

Coops.
Cooper
Admiral

Post by Cooper »

After sailing last friday we decided that life should be easier. So,the man from Doyles sails is coming down on monday to measure up for a stack pack and lazyjack fitting. Should make mainsail upping and downing a lot easier. :lol: Plus, no taking the main(fully battened) off the boom and rolling up into it's bag.

Coops.
Tumbleweed
Yachtmaster

Post by Tumbleweed »

I got one too. Makes life so much simpler. I would be interested of the price. Mine was $250 a metre inclusive of lazyjacks.
--
RL28 "Windale" Located in Yeppoon, QLD

I used to have ambitions and then I started sailing, now everything else just seems pointless.......(Bixler McClure)
Cooper
Admiral

Post by Cooper »

Will let you know the exact price but as a rough guide it's $300 a metre and $150 for the jacks. That includes fitting.

Coops.
Cooper
Admiral

Post by Cooper »

Chris from Doyles came down today and fitted the stack pack and lazy jacks. Looks fantastic, the workmanship appears to be excellent and he is a good bloke to deal with. The price all up, including the fitting and some extra blocks etc., was $878, so no sudden surprises at the end which sometimes happens as we all know.

Will get pictures tomorrow hopefully.

Coops.
Cooper
Admiral

Post by Cooper »

Some updates. Had an opening port installed into the back of the cabin. Gives more light and air flow in there. All running rigging replaced with spectra for the halyards and usacord for the rest.

Wire lifelines replaced with dyneema core in clear plastic tubing. We shall see how long it lasts. :roll:

Coops.
Slammin
Able Skipper

Post by Slammin »

Do you mean how long does the plastic tubing last?
Cooper
Admiral

Post by Cooper »

Yep! I figure the dyneema should outlast it. :roll:

Coops.
Slammin
Able Skipper

Post by Slammin »

I agree. That's why I've held off doing the same thing. I've tried to get the white split tubing up here without luck. WW only have it by 2m lengths for some reason. The plastic suppliers look at me like I'm a weirdo. Did you try to get the white stuff?
Cooper
Admiral

Post by Cooper »

No! on trying to get the white. My mate, who did the work and is a very skilled sailor and boat fixer/rig tuner/ painter, has used the clear before and he says that you get a good few years out of the tubing even in the weather all day and every day. We shall see I guess. Worth a try anyway for the same price as wire.

Coops.
Tumbleweed
Yachtmaster

Post by Tumbleweed »

I just used straight dynex dux. still going strong. nice on the hands, legs etc.
--
RL28 "Windale" Located in Yeppoon, QLD

I used to have ambitions and then I started sailing, now everything else just seems pointless.......(Bixler McClure)
Slammin
Able Skipper

Post by Slammin »

Not so nice though if on my calves when moving fast.

I'll explain. I had to get forward quickly once when I was singlehanding and to do so I went around my bimini and close to the lifelins anyway there's room but not heaps so I was going quick and end result a nasty but neat rope burn. I didn't notice it until later when I saw the blood.

At this stage I'm just more careful.

What is and where did you get your tubing Coops? The stuff I've come across perishes faster than fresh prawns in the sun.
Cooper
Admiral

Post by Cooper »

Just the plain stuff from WW's. It's an unknown quanitity for me but willing to give it a go. :roll:

Coops.
Cooper
Admiral

Post by Cooper »

It's been a while and time to update a bit. For a while there we considered buying a bigger boat. But the ones that we looked at, 30'-32', while they were nice, did not have the same cockpit space that this one does and that is where we spend most of our time. Vixen stated that she could very easily live in the RL for 3/4 months at a time and only if we were going to live on a boat more or less full time would she really feel a need for a bigger one. So, we decided to save about $30,000 and spend just a few thousand.

Firstly we had the interior cushions remade and upholstered, including the "backrests" done in a material with a close weave.

Next we let Vixen have the galley area remodelled a bit more to her liking.

The cockpit had some new cushions made as well. There is a cushion that goes across in front of the cabin doors as well that you cannot see in this pic

The bimini was a bit old and tired so we had a new one of those made.

The windows were showing a small amount of deterioration so we had those remade. This time with a very dark tint instead of the plain stuff that was in there.

You can also see the small opening port on the aft end of the cabin on the port side that we had fitted. It may be small but it makes a big difference. :lol:

The rudder pintles were also reconditioned/remade so I think that will do for now. Oh, we also bought a new inflatable and a new 3.3 Mercury for it. The boat fund box is now empty.

All things being well we should be off again just before next weekend for another week/fortnight on Moreton Bay to test all these mods. :wink:

Upholstery and bimini was done by Custom Marine Trimming at Horizon Shores Marina. Windows, galley area and rudder done by Jason at Wood on Water, also at Horizon Shores. Both companies great to deal with and both seem to do top work. Very pleased.

Coops.
SongbirdII
Midshipman

Post by SongbirdII »

Thanks for posting those pics Cooper. It's fascinating to see how different the "same" boat can be!

Return to “RL24 & RL28”