RL28 FREJYA No.16

Project boats, Tips and Tricks for anything you have done to your RL
madmission
Able Skipper

RL28 FREJYA No.16

Post by madmission »

Well it's some time later now but happy to report that the maiden trip went well.
Boat sailed remarkedly well , my aim throughout the rebuild was to keep the rl28 as light as possible . Luckily I started with a rather un molested sample, pretty much stock boat without previous owners holes and additions to deal with.
I removed some internal furniture , shag pile carpet and hideously heavy esky , freeing up all that space under the cockpit and replaced heavy agm for lithium battery.
I repaired the mast and replaced the boom ( thanks to Mob) and spin pole , rigged standing rigging with dyneema and replaced running rigging with spectra to cockpit via cleat and jammer organiser ( thanks to mywinsom) controlled by directors and single small winch , all of which worked really well with few holes through cabin top.
I made no change to the original rudder and although sailing in 20 + knot winds had no weather helm issues and autohelm handled upwind and down easily.
The sailplan was very much a cruising one with rl28 fractional on a profurl c260 with a recut seaway 25 (thanks to Pippin) fully battened main.
I found its performance surprisingly responsive to both sail trim and seaway surfing on port Phillip chop at 7.4 knots under main alone while towing inflatable , above expectation. I would think significant gains on that in a fast cruising mode easily achievable.
Although I have the outboard tilting up from well , fitting Bombay doors to the well would be a major improvement in both drag and noise from the sloshing.
Boat on trailer with mast , cushions and bedding not much more came in at 2.16 t and could move most of the 160 kgs onto ball . It trailed really well behind mazda bt-50 2wd.
Solo launch and retrieve with power winch with water just up to rear axle.
I have 2.8 t trailer upgrade on the way to make it easier / friendly / legal.
Last edited by madmission on May 30th, '22, 10:17, edited 1 time in total.
Castle 610
Yachtmaster

Re: RL28 FREJYA No.16

Post by Castle 610 »

Sounds great!
Stephen
Castle 650 'Mad Mouse'
Sabre 1205 'Wasp'
Nacra 14sq 'Vamoose'
madmission
Able Skipper

Post by madmission »

With another trip under her belt Frejya is fulfilling , actually exceeding my expectations of what an Rl28 would be like to own. Over time I will detail some of the changes made to Freyja during the refit recently under taken and how they have turned out practically.
20220524_201752.jpg
Grith
Inshore Skipper

Post by Grith »

Great looking setup congratulations! Looked very closely at RL28’s myself and have a friend Brian who owns one I have sailed on. Shame they built the bunks at 6 foot as this was what finally had me go a different direction as I need at least 6 foot 4 to sleep comfortably. Brian sleeps on the saloon table from memory also being a very tall guy but I like to leave the main cooking eating space free from bedding or the requirement to make up the bed after a long evening around the table. 😂
They are however a really great maxi cruiser.
Grith
Wellington East South Australia
Imexus 28
Hobie Adventure Islands (sailing trimaran kayaks)
Isuzu NLS AWD with Beyond Slide On Camper

Return to “RL24 & RL28”