Launching boat via crane

Let people know the beaut locations to sail and the great boat ramps you've found.
realdror
Midshipman

Launching boat via crane

Post by realdror »

Good morning,
Very new to launching off a trailer and based in SE suburbs of Melbourne - I've been looking at club ramps which seems to solve the issue of wait times and having to go up to St Kilda, and are sheltered. I had a chat to the guys at Mordicalloc Yacht Club, nice small club, very welcoming bunch. They're not sure that the ramp would be suitable for my investigator - the suggestion was that the club crane is used.
What negatives are there with using a crane? Any advice or experience would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
zebedee
Admiral

Re: Launching boat via crane

Post by zebedee »

Mordialloc Sailing Club has a crane used for Flying Fifteens. I don't think Mordialloc Motor Yacht Club has a crane? Neither club have their own ramp, and both ramps on Mordialloc Creek (Pompei's and the public ramp) are behind bridges. I wouldn't like to launch a TS down the beach at MSC.

The Flying Fifteen has built in lifting points and a bridle to ensure safe stable lifting. To lift a TS like an Investigator, you'd need to use slings, with the potential for nasty mistakes, particularly at the end of a cold blustery day's sailing when you're tired and the wind is fighting you.
A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.
Peter Yates
Admiral

Post by Peter Yates »

I am not familiar with the ramp you describe, but what is it that suggests it is unsuitable for launching an Investigator? I have owned three I563’s and never had a problem with launching/retrieving, including off a sandy beach once. You may have to dunk the wheels fully, so maybe the ramp has a drop-off that makes that risky? Other than that, if the water is deep enough to slide her off, you should be fine.
Peter Y
Currently - Investigator 563 "Tricksy", fishing kayaks.
Tow car - Ford Territory 2WD diesel.
———————————————————————————
Previously, Sparrow dinghy, Hartley TS16, South Coast 25 (twice), Dennis TS500, Evening Star 6.5, Myora 24, Heron, Seabird 3.2, Whitehall skiff, Spacesailer 20, 2 previous I563’s, Swanson Dart day-sailer, CAL14.
realdror
Midshipman

Post by realdror »

I'm probably confusing the two clubs - but I assumed that the ramp is the one near MIller Marine - I'm going to go down on Saturday after the kids soccer match and have a look.
MSYC.png
zebedee
Admiral

Post by zebedee »

Mordialloc Motor Yacht Club, on the island, have a slipway, but it's not a launching ramp and there is no way to get a trailer onto the island.
MMYC slip.png
Miller Marine have a private ramp:
MM slip.png
Mordialloc Sailing club have a crane used for Flying Fifteens and a concrete access ramp onto the beach (both circled):
MSC.png
Pompei's private ramp is accessible and can be used for a fee, but it's behind the highway bridge:
Pompei ramp.png
And the public ramp (currently closed) is behind three bridges:
Mordi ramp.png
If you had lifting points on your boat, the crane might be an attractive option, but I'd be really leery about lifting a TS without built in lifting points.
A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.
zebedee
Admiral

Post by zebedee »

realdror
Midshipman

Post by realdror »

That makes sense, thanks.

Return to “Location Reviews & Boat Storage”