Pittwater Boat Ramps

Ken
CompetentCrew
Has thanked: 0

Pittwater Boat Ramps

Post by Ken »

I am planning to spend a couple of days sailing Pittwater in the near future, can anyone recommend a good ramp with suitable parking for a couple of nights.
thanks Ken
zebedee
Admiral

Re: Pittwater Boat Ramps

Post by zebedee »

Hopefully the locals will be along shortly with more options, but when I went up there with the Ultimate 18s from Victoria between xmas/new year (dec 2014), we launched from the Parsley Bay boat ramp at Brooklyn. The only issue we had was that, as seems common in NSW, there is no jetty immediately adjacent to the ramp, so you can't retrieve solo without having to beach your boat on the tiny patch of sand just north of the ramp. There is a jetty south of the ramp you can tie up to while you position your car and trailer, but it is not close enough to be useful for retrieving. Of course if you have a power boat with a drive on trailer, this is all you need, but that's not generally how we work!

Inserting googlemaps here is a bit fraught at the moment, but here's a screendump, or click here to go to googlemaps.
Parsley Bay Ramp.jpg
We also visited the marina at Akuna Bay, which had hot showers; not free, but very good.
A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.
duncanhayward
Able Skipper

Post by duncanhayward »

Ken,

have a look at Apple Tree Bay Boat Ramp here

I have used it a number of times with only one, catastrophic issue! Which I'm putting down to an anomaly - I do however park further into the carpark and not adjacent to the ramp. Here!

Edit: Here's a link to one of Pittwater Trips (Coffee trip!)
Duncan
Noelex 25 #952
Quo Vadis
psjamesc
Midshipman
Been thanked: 0

Post by psjamesc »

I too have used the Parsley Bay ramp a few times with no real problems. Car has been OK (well who would bother with mine with so much else to choose from). Sometimes the pontoons (2) can be full with some inconsiderate sods leaving boats there for some time, but generally a space opens up sooner or later. And it's free! Also just around the corner is a marina with fuel and facilities.
James Calvert
F82R Third Day
Furstin
Admiral

Post by Furstin »

Depending on in / out road, use Appletree (preference from West?) Or parsley.
Jon
Able Skipper

Post by Jon »

Any recent use of Apple Tree Bay ramp? I'm thinking of using it for the first time over the long weekend mid June. Plan to leave car and trailer there for four days.
Furstin
Admiral

Post by Furstin »

Don't think anythings changed, launch, go to pontoon, move around to far side of pontoon once parked.

There is a rock wall close by as stated below, but with a stern line run to shore and a painter between you and a helper can pull boat over safely.

Access via Bobbin Head rd IMO.

If you are a stub keel or have to dunk, be careful at low tide as you can drop the rear axle over the edge. (We have friends with Sunmaid 20 who launch there and need to be mindful).

Other option is Akuna, but I prefer Appletree in the past.

Long term forecast has Sat as wet, but Im sure it will change.

A sail out to Maitland Bay is a good stretch of the legs in a NE'er:

Mat.
Attachments
maitland bay.jpg
Last edited by Furstin on Jun 1st, '21, 12:48, edited 5 times in total.
duncanhayward
Able Skipper

Post by duncanhayward »

Jon,

I haven't used the ramp since this time in 2018. I had a quick look on Six Maps for updated imagery. https://maps.six.nsw.gov.au

I had a problem there in 2013 - https://trailersailerplace.com.au/phpBB ... f=2&t=9646 . In hindsight I parked too close to the ramp, and a stolen car doing burnouts lost control and wrote off the trailer. I have stayed there several times since without incident, and parked further away in a less "burnout" likely spot. I reckon this one was an anomaly.

There is no pontoon next to the ramp, but a rock wall for about 10 m. Its easy enough to put someone on the pontoon with a long line. I've retrieved and launched the Noelex solo there without issue, the ramp is well protected.

Easiest way into the park from Canberra is via Kuringai Chase Rd at Mount Colah, off the Motorway. If leaving late in the day a great first overnight stop anchorage is the bay about 500 m ENE from the ramp (Honeymoon Bay?).

Regards Duncan
Duncan
Noelex 25 #952
Quo Vadis
Jon
Able Skipper

Post by Jon »

Thanks both of you for the good info. Even if it rains it can't be worse than yesterday in Canberra at -6 degrees while setting up the boat for kite training with new crew.

Thanks for the info on both parking and the shallow ramp. Both important.
rseydler
Yachtmaster

Post by rseydler »

GTFO. That must be a little shock coming from FNQ?
Slammin
Able Skipper

Post by Slammin »

I used Rowlands last time.
Rowland Reserve Boat Ramp
https://goo.gl/maps/ydmtxiZihS4GaiiX8

It was good and with sensible security you can St park nearby. Also good washdown area.

For the more adventurous there’s little Palm Bch.
Dropped pin
https://goo.gl/maps/JpgpcAiswKiYrFbB8

It’s very tide dependant but possible.
Even Keel
CompetentCrew

Post by Even Keel »

Roland, parsley and apple tree all good. Pittwater and Hawkesbury are magic cruising grounds bit it's a big effort driving through Sydney traffic for just a couple of days. Jervis and port hacking are a lot closer.
Jon
Able Skipper

Post by Jon »

rseydler wrote:
Jun 1st, '21, 14:43
GTFO. That must be a little shock coming from FNQ?
Yes, bloody nasty and dangerous with ice on the decks in the morning. But... currently leading the Winter Series with a win last weekend, so have a high commitment to try and remain in the lead at the moment.
Jon
Able Skipper

Post by Jon »

Looking at Google Maps it shows Apple Tree closed dusk to dawn. I am looking at about 9pm arrival so maybe Rowland is better? I had a problem last time at Rowlands with overhanging trees making access too and from the ramp difficult.
Furstin
Admiral

Post by Furstin »

I'm sure that means the park is closed, but not physically.
My mate with the sunmaid regularly launches there after dark, and you'll probably bump into them Friday!
He said:

There are no gates to lock you out of Apple Tree Bay nor gates into the picnic area at Bobbin Head or even the front gate of the park.

They say there is no camping or picnicking outside of daylight hours....
Last edited by Furstin on Jun 1st, '21, 20:51, edited 1 time in total.
Jon
Able Skipper

Post by Jon »

Thanks Furstin, thats the info I needed.

Return to “NSW Ramp and Location Reviews”