Proposed St Kilda marina redevelopment

MoodyBlue
Administrator

Proposed St Kilda marina redevelopment

Post by MoodyBlue » Aug 9th, '20, 20:35

The attachment is lifted from an email from MTYC.

The drawings start at page 16

Looks like the females running the show have made up their mind regardless of submissions from affected parties.

It even looks like they are making it very hard for yachts to rig as the drawing seems to show a large loss of the preparation/rigging area.
Attachments
St Kilda Marina New Long Term Lease Update PackFinal(2).pdf
(1.99 MiB) Downloaded 29 times
"There is no perfect boat. There are only those shaded to your preferences.":-)

bachus
Yachtmaster

Re: Proposed St Kilda marina redevelopment

Post by bachus » Aug 9th, '20, 20:49

Well said yachts will be blocking a lot of roads then.
Jim
Castle 650 #96. Mystic.
Tow hack: Ford Territory TX SZ MkII Auto AWD

colect149
Yachtmaster

Post by colect149 » Aug 10th, '20, 10:50

What a wonderful new look it will have for the general public sure will have it all very nice. Funny how they are so concious of the look and those people in that eyesore Edgewater Towers which will be there forever will have an even better view. As the for trailer boat fraternity (even Stinkies) we can all go to hell. It could get congested even when there was a straight run from the entance to the ramp jetty, now with the fingers to be sited on the other side it will be murder. The simple truth is they have designed the whole thing to discourage trailable boats of any kind. And you can see why, they don't want their precious "public" inconvenienced by cars and trailers moving around.
Farr 5000 (Frodo).Tow hack Kia Sportage 2L FWD, 1967 MGB roadster, 1932 Austin 7 Box Saloon, Jayco 12.38. land yacht.

zebedee
Admiral

Post by zebedee » Aug 10th, '20, 14:39

colect149 wrote:
Aug 10th, '20, 10:50
... that eyesore Edgewater Towers ...
I've been inside Edgewater tower once in my taxi driving days in the late 1980s; it struck me as run down, scruffy and not much better than the housing commission towers at Williamstown which I've also been in. Fundamentally, no matter how nicely renovated, they're small units in a 60 year old tower.

One of my father's colleagues seriously considered buying a flat in Edgewater Tower when it was first built, but decided to keep his humble abode in St Vincent Place in Albert park instead...

Flats in Edgewater tower go for well under a million dollars now;
Humble abodes in St Vincent Place go for around four to six million and up...
A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.

Wanton
Yachtmaster

Post by Wanton » Aug 27th, '20, 21:14

The Development criteria included the following statement, "Public boat ramp: Provision and maintenance of a public boat ramp and trailer parking."

A scan of the plans seems to incorporate a Car parking area, although I am not sure if this is trailer and car parking provision and also a boatramp on the right hand side of the drawing. Although there appears to be no description of the facility at all. Every other area and building has a description, but the boat launching ramp and the car parking areas do not have a description.

It seems pretty clear the the MTYC will lose its storage area for their boats. This is pretty harsh to expel the MTYC from the premises. Is the City Council proposing a new home for the club? May be worth asking the question.

At least they dropped the idea of having a bridge going across the entrance to the marina.
Ed
Wanton C22/110
All I wanna do is sail
http://www.baysidetrailableyachtclub.com

Wanton
Yachtmaster

Post by Wanton » Aug 27th, '20, 21:24

MoodyBlue wrote:
Aug 9th, '20, 20:35
The attachment is lifted from an email from MTYC.

The drawings start at page 16

Looks like the females running the show have made up their mind regardless of submissions from affected parties.

It even looks like they are making it very hard for yachts to rig as the drawing seems to show a large loss of the preparation/rigging area.
I suppose as long as there are no overhead wires going across any access road over the car park and the boat ramp, it may be OK to launch. I do not think I would attempt a single handed launch or retrieve at that boatramp. No pontoon on one side and possibilty of hard wall of the walkway promenade on the other side. I have only launched once at St Kilda and the experience was very unforgettable, ie never again. The plans really do not do anything to change my mind about the "never again."
Ed
Wanton C22/110
All I wanna do is sail
http://www.baysidetrailableyachtclub.com

Return to “VICTORIAN Ramp and Location Reviews”