New Member in South Australia, Adelaide region

To let people know who and where you are.
seasquirt
Midshipman

New Member in South Australia, Adelaide region

Post by seasquirt »

Hi boating lovers, I'm Seasquirt, and joined up here after searching for trailer sailers, and found this site, and it's full of Australians with local knowledge. Like the up to date log of boats for sale - excellent.

I've had about 50yrs experience sailing small mono hull dinghies, cats, Hartley TS 16, and my dad's 21 foot Bonito, along with tinnies, canoes, kayaks, wind surfers, a jet boat, and other peoples boats. Mostly coastal, some inland, not much on rivers. I've sailed Heron dinghies mostly (not racing), because they're small, easily beach launched and single handed, strong, versatile, and fun.

Now I'm getting tired of camping on shore, lugging camping gear through mud, and want a small TS to sleep on.
Also I'm so sick of getting sunburnt while out sailing despite seeking sail shade, layering sunscreen goo, and zinc cream, wearing a big broad brimmed hat, and with my collar turned up. I don't want to wear an umbrella hat, or sombrero, or bee keeper's (although good for mosquitoes). They're some of the legitimate reasons why I need a bigger boat. I'm sure someone here has done what I want to do.

I noticed that someone here has the same by-line here, as I do on boatdesign. Great minds think alike ? I found this particular site recently, and didn't copy. I won't use that line here. I am Seasquirt on boatdesign also, Look up 'Jack Holt Heron' for my posts.
seasquirt
Midshipman

Re: New Member in South Australia, Adelaide region

Post by seasquirt »

Sm Ero Coorong.png
Sm Ero Coorong.png (84.35 KiB) Viewed 15 times
This is my latest toy. It was a Heron dinghy I reduced to 10 feet long, and added a bowsprit. It's called ERO - a heron with the front and back cut off. The masthead rig with no gaff makes it very stable, and two jibs helps make up for mainsail area loss. With weight low across the floor, is is safe from tipping in squalls and back winding gusts. I've been off Adelaide's Outer Harbour in 25 Knots wind, on 1m swell and 1m whitecap streaking seas, quite safely, although not making way upwind so well. The pic is from an Easter camp in the Coorong, in S.A. It is loaded for a week's camping. Not quite enough room though, even with no crew. 14 feet to 16 feet long with a large cabin is my next need.

Return to “Member locations”