Sailing the Coorong.

SteveZsuzska
Midshipman
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Sailing the Coorong.

Post by SteveZsuzska »

Yesterday I thought I'd try sailing on the Coorong, having come across a tour on the Internet offered by Backpacker Tours Australia. According to their website they put-in at Hindmarsh Island and head down Mundoo Channel from where they sail along the Coorong. So I packed up the family and my Cherry 16 and headed down to the boat ramp on the Mundoo Channel. We launched the boat and lowered the centreboard but very soon found ourselves running aground. I hauled up the centreboard bit by bit but was uncomfortable about the loss of stability that is entailed in doing this, what with having the family aboard. It also made the boat hard to sail to wind, which I had to do to head down the channel. In the end we decided we weren't getting anywhere under sail and as we don't have a motor we called it a day.

I can only imagine that for the advertised tour they use a boat with a very shallow draught. Is it a practical proposition to sail the Coorong in trailable yacht or is it best to stick to the waters around Goolwa and north of Hindmarsh Island?

The very helpful staff at the visitor centre in Goolwa did not have much information on sailing but they did have some wonderful A3 colour SA Government maps of the area showing channel markers for free!

Steve
zebedee
Admiral

Re: Sailing the Coorong.

Post by zebedee »

SteveZsuzska wrote:The very helpful staff at the visitor centre in Goolwa did not have much information on sailing but they did have some wonderful A3 colour SA Government maps of the area showing channel markers for free!
Hah!

I asked around all over the place when I was over there and couldn't find anyone who knew anything about maps/charts for the Goolwa area! Thanks very much for letting us know where to find them.
A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.
porridgepots
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Post by porridgepots »

The charts of the coorong are in Murray River Pilot, they are just sketches but very helpful.
You want to get an up to date edition as you can as this area changes (published every few years)
http://www.chartandmapshop.com.au/16722 ... 0646115603

There is also a publication for coorong exclusively, published just a few years ago. I thought it was mentioned on this site at the time..
Ben

Sonata 7 "Pitchin' Inn"
porridgepots
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Post by porridgepots »

Found the other charts on that same site but they are out of stock
http://www.chartandmapshop.com.au/product.php?id=18917

"cruising from Goolwa" by David Brook. Has a CDROM as well as the book.
I understand there may be some copies still available from the Hindmarsh Island Marina.

Don't forget the cruising guide on the Goolwa Regatta Yacht Club
http://www.gryc.com.au/crusing/cruising-destinations/
Ben

Sonata 7 "Pitchin' Inn"

Return to “South Australian Trip Reports”