Sailing to a schedule.

roverfj1200
Midshipman

Sailing to a schedule.

Post by roverfj1200 » Sep 7th, '20, 15:30

Sailing to a schedule.

Well, it always seems that the best laid-out plans will change and a stick thrown through your spokes. This weekend was just that. We had plans to leave Friday arvo and sail to Woody Point for the night. This went well with a northerly pushing us along and the last bit under motor. 15 kt winds were predicted from the north on Saturday - that would have been Champagne sailing. We are only weekend sailors, and I use the term sailor lightly, so we are always on a schedule. On Saturday there was no wind in the morning, so it was motoring and hoping the wind would pickup. We needed to make Blue Hole by 11am in order to use the high tide to enter Kooringal via the back of Crab Island. It was just as we set anchor on a sand bar that the wind picked up. We let Anchor Point dry out on the sand and then we were off to the Gutter bar for food and refreshments. We had a comfortable sleep as the inlet to Mays Hole is well protected and we dried out early morning as well. On with the schedule…. We had to return home by Monday before 11am, so another night in Kooringal would see us wait till lunch for the Monday high tide to get out. The plan was to leave Kooringal on the Sunday high tide and anchor at the big sand hills for the night, then sail the predicted easterly back to port early Monday. Not to be. As we motored out of Blue hole the wind picked up and was from the southwest. 20Kts or more. Where was my easterly? With just a bit of jib, out we sailed past the big sand hills hoping to find some shelter in Lacinda bay. Kind of knew that was not happening. With it now blowing 20 to 25knts, it was decision time. We dropped anchor to deflate the tender and prep ourselves and the boat. We were heading to Scarborough and home. With 2 reefs in the main and sailing a beam reach we set out. With 14 NM to cover in 20knt winds and some big waves. It was hard going, never sailed in this before, with gusts now making 30knts. I may not be able to judge wave height well, but I’m sure there were 2 metre waves. 2 or 3 times we had waves break on our gunnal - so needless to say it was wet. With just the main up the boat was out of balance and hard to steer. With 2 reefs we were still hitting 6knts and heeling heavily. As we approached Scarborough winds peaked at 30knts gusting to 35knts. Three hours of heavy weather sailing done as we turned in to the leads of Scarborough. It was only now I could wipe the salt from my brow. Anchor Point held the passage well and at no time did we feel things were out of control. Except that time the jib unfurled and flapped like mad. Would I do anything different? Yeap, should have reefed more before we left and used the jib to control power. Lesson learnt. But, what a sense of achievement and now knowing it can be done if needed. It can’t be all fair weather sailing.
Attachments
20200905_140500.jpg
20200904_123501.jpg
Northwind 7 New to this wind powered stuff

roverfj1200
Midshipman

Re: Sailing to a schedule.

Post by roverfj1200 » Sep 7th, '20, 15:32

pix
Attachments
20200906_140645.jpg
20200905_150204.jpg

roverfj1200
Midshipman

Post by roverfj1200 » Sep 7th, '20, 15:33

pix
Attachments
Screenshot_20200906-184828_Seabreezecomau Weather.jpg
Screenshot_20200906-140703_Seabreezecomau Weather.jpg

Sue H
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Post by Sue H » Sep 7th, '20, 15:49

Well Done! Lessons learned and I'm sure others will add advice as they see it but good on you and a great result as you got home safely. These sort of experiences last a life time.
Cheers.

rseydler
Able Skipper

Post by rseydler » Sep 7th, '20, 17:00

Oh yeh, out in the middle there waves get large pretty quick. I'd believe your 2 - 3m without a problem. Kudos to handling the conditions well. At least you didn't get hit by the storms.

Managed to hose all the salt off yet ;)

Tezza
Able Skipper

Post by Tezza » Sep 7th, '20, 17:52

Good write up . Aside from the odd tanker ship coming up the Channel I imagine pretty lonely out there in that weather. Congrats.
Sonata 6 Mango

Furstin
Yachtmaster

Post by Furstin » Sep 8th, '20, 06:07

If running in a big breeze i would use the heady, but each to their own.
Great writeup.

Sent from my SM-A705YN using Tapatalk

roverfj1200
Midshipman

Post by roverfj1200 » Sep 8th, '20, 07:50

Should have posted this
Attachments
Selection_004.jpg

Return to “Queensland Trip Reports”