Spotted: TS Parts And Accessories For Sale

All info added is on a "VOLUNTEER" basis, so no responsibility will be taken for accuracy or lack of completeness by TSP.
zebedee
Admiral

Re: TS Parts And Accessories Spotted For Sale

Post by zebedee »

Hayman Reese weight distribution set, pickup from Pakenham (east of MELBOURNE).
$100

Spotted on the book of faces,
72406686_10206226732984038_6743593061290344448_n.jpg
A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.
Tinggu
Able Skipper

Re: Spotted: TS Parts And Accessories For Sale

Post by Tinggu »

I've oft wondered how effective these are. Do they actually help stop sway? Or are they simply to distribute the load so everything is on an even keel? If the tow and trailer are properly set up there should be no need? Yes/No?
Looks like a very good deal for someone.
Cheers,
Pete
SC23/Northwind 7 "Isabella Jane"
Discovery 2TD5
and a tinny
colect149
Yachtmaster

Post by colect149 »

Nothing stops sway. It should not be generated in the first place. Proper weight distribution on the trailer or caravan will stop sway being generated. If it sways, do not use the rig until it is set up properly. I have seen near fatals where caravans have swayed until the whole rig gets out of control. A sideways caravan careeing down a single lane highway is not a pretty sight.
Boatless. Kia Sportage 2L FWD, Jayco 13 Sprite, 1967 MGB roadster, 1932 Austin 7 Box Saloon,
Previous:- TS500, Ultimate 18, Cole 23, Laser, Ultimate16, Farr6000, Hardy 18 Motor Sailor, Farr7500, Farr5000.
Tinggu
Able Skipper

Post by Tinggu »

colect149 wrote: Oct 23rd, '19, 09:29 Nothing stops sway. It should not be generated in the first place. Proper weight distribution on the trailer or caravan will stop sway being generated.
Given that the set up should be properly balanced in the first place"Proper weight distribution" Is that not precisely what these things are designed to do? The name suggests that.
Discovery 2TD5
and a tinny
Wanton
Yachtmaster

Post by Wanton »

I do not consider these contraptions as "anti Sway bars" at all. They are for weight distributions. I believe they reduce they transfer some of the weight at the rear of the cars to the front wheel, thereby making the front brakes effective. I understand without these bars the car may have a tendency to have too much weight on the rear wheels thereby reducing the effectiveness of the car's braking system. I am not at all an engineer or mechanic so I would be happy if someone would correct me if I am mistaken
Ed
Wanton C22/110
All I wanna do is sail
http://www.baysidetrailableyachtclub.com
Johny
Inshore Skipper

Post by Johny »

Exactly correct Ed. Weight distribution systems are for levelling the vehicle when the ball weight is considered too high for the vehicle. I use exactly the setup shown when towing our Avan. There is probably an argument that too much ball weight could invoke swaying. Incorrect weight distribution ON THE TRAILER is another matter entirely. There should be at least 10% of the trailer weight on the towball and this is controlled buy the user by loading the trailer/boat correctly (preaching to the converted here no doubt).

Anti-sway systems usually involve friction bars at the side of the towball.

Actually I am looking for a set of the trailer mounted units (as shown) and some way of attaching them to the Jarcat trailer as its ball weight is a tad high for the Outlander to ride correctly.
Jarcat 6, Kismet. 6M Catamaran. 9.8HP 2 Stroke Tohatsu.
Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV tow car.
AVAN Cruiseliner land yacht.
https://jarcat6.blogspot.com.au/
Tinggu
Able Skipper

Post by Tinggu »

We have an adjustable height tow hitch which covers the height difference between car and trailer, so would would make the idea of this complicated contraption completely redundant.
Discovery 2TD5
and a tinny
guzzis3
Able Skipper

Post by guzzis3 »

I'm nitpicking here but it's a serious safety issue so it might be worth clarifying, and if I get anything wrong Zebedee with correct me :D

The 10% thing is one of those rule of thumbs which normally work but not always so to understand the problem and correct as needed...

As your speed increases the air pressure on the front and low pressure at the back cause a force on the trailer. The area above the axle causes it to rotate clockwise as viewed from the nearside (footpath). For most normal trailers 10% of their weight is enough to stop teh force on the towball from going negative but if the trailer is particularly light or the body area particularly large 10% might not be enough. Conversely if the trailer has a very small frontal area, is streamlined or extremely heavy less than 10% might be ok.

When the downforce on the towball is gone that's when you get the caster effect where the trailer tries to go anywhere but straight.

Those load levelers obviously don't change the mass forward of the axle (or effective axle). What they do is change the way the hinge between the draw-bar and towball works so it doesn't sag at the coupling. It does shift the car's weight distribution forward and as said above increases downforce on the front wheels, which is a very good thing :)
guzzis3
Able Skipper

Post by guzzis3 »

Tinggu wrote: Oct 23rd, '19, 14:19 We have an adjustable height tow hitch which covers the height difference between car and trailer, so would would make the idea of this complicated contraption completely redundant.
Actually no, they do different things.
Tinggu
Able Skipper

Post by Tinggu »

Re the 10% thing: I once read, and tore out to keep, a very interesting article in one of the caravanning mags but stuffed if I can remember where I "filed" it. 10% is aguide line but there are other factors as guzzie3 has said.
Discovery 2TD5
and a tinny
colect149
Yachtmaster

Post by colect149 »

Tinggu, I stand by what I said, I was referring to the trailer/caravan as an entity, if it already badly balanced one of those load levellers could make matters worse in some circumstances. I have used them from time to time to make a rig to look more level, but not to stop sway. From memory I had a car with soft rear suspension and already loaded boot.
Boatless. Kia Sportage 2L FWD, Jayco 13 Sprite, 1967 MGB roadster, 1932 Austin 7 Box Saloon,
Previous:- TS500, Ultimate 18, Cole 23, Laser, Ultimate16, Farr6000, Hardy 18 Motor Sailor, Farr7500, Farr5000.
zebedee
Admiral

Post by zebedee »

To prevent sway the centre of gravity of the trailer needs to be ahead of the resistance to sideways movement (the axle(s)), so that when the trailer is perturbed (moved out of line), it is rotated back towards straight, damping the system.

If the centre of gravity is behind the axle, then when the trailer is perturbed, the sideways force from the axle tries to rotate the trailer away from the car, feeding more energy into the swaying system.

In practice, this means that the drawbar must carry a significant portion of the total weight of the trailer; rule of thumb is typically 10%.

Weight distribution bars like these do two things.
  • When first coupled up to the car, the bars are preloaded, so that they "bend" the car and trailer system at the towball, pushing the trailer and the front wheels of the car down and raising the rear of the car, addressing sagging of the rear of the car when the drawbar weight out at the towbar often exceeds the weight of typical rear seat passengers!
  • They introduce a spring to the pitch motion of the trailer. When the trailer pitchs forward, the distribution bars resist this movement, reducing pitching of the car too.
When Jim replaced his heavy Touareg with a lighter Ford Territory, he was experiencing pitching on uneven roads when towing his Castle. He expressed an interest in weight distribution bars, so we put my system on his car and took my Castle out for a tow, with and without the bars.
It was immediately apparent on uneven roads that the car pitched far less with the bars. On the Frankston Freeway this was obvious on undulating long uneveness in the road. It is also very obvious at slow speeds driving over large speed humps. Jim bought some bars.

Weight distribution bars themselves won't fix sway; you just have to look at them to see they cannot apply any lateral forces. What they will do is fix the other unpleasant issues which may arise, like car rear suspension sag and pitching motion when you move the weight on the trailer far enough forward to fix sway.
A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.
bachus
Yachtmaster

Post by bachus »

The weight distribution hitch transfers weigh to the fort axle of the towing vehicle but also transfers weight to the trailer axle/s

The adjustable tow ball - adjustable in height - will also re-distribute weight but not but as much. As an example. Have you ever weighed your trailer on a scale with lead up and lead down ramps? Total GVM is easy, trailer GTM (axle load) however cannot be done by just driving the car down the ramp until only the trailer wheels are on the scales. The downwards slant of the car cocks the tow ball up and transfers weight to the axle - approx 40kg in my case. The tow ball height must be carefully measured on the flat, the trailer disconnected, the jockey wheel off the scale used to adjust the ball height to the measured value. Now the axle can be weighed. The point being that ball height will transfer “some” weight.

My castle on trailer is probably about 1350 GTM + 160 ball = 1510 ATM (fridge full, no water in the tank),
I have a lighter duty WDH - rates to about 180kg, 90kg if only two bars are used.
Without the WDH fitted, the car and trailer combination porpoises over bumps. With the WDH fitted the porpoising largely stops and the car plus vehicle combination feels much more stable on the road. For short trips I do not install the WDH. Longer trips I do. I also use a lighter grease in the coupling.

Fitting the WDH to a boat trailer is a problem. They are designed for caravans with the tip of the V of the trailer frame being the ball. You “can” mount the hooks on the side of a straight drawbar but I could not due to the swinging jockey wheel. So I built some spreader arms to simulate a V. Essentially a long gal stirrup post (for support poles) “adapted” for the task - cost approx $10 for the bar and another $20 for the U bolt clamps to hold it. The WDH hooks are bolted to the ends as follows. The bolts angle to push the bar against the bracket holding the swinging jockey wheel. This works quite well.
C00D95BC-27C1-4FC3-BE73-67CF9553B419.jpeg
Ps note to self, find out why portrait photos rotate in thumbnail view
Jim
Castle 650 #96. Mystic.
Towing with Ford Territory SZII TX AWD
Tinggu
Able Skipper

Post by Tinggu »

Thanks Jim
That's interesting about the ramps up to the weighbridge and cocking the tow bar.
A while back we were pulling the van to Paynesville and pulled into a weighbridge stop on the highway, Trafalgar or somewhere like that but before Traralgon and the weighbridge lit up with the kgs so we did each axle, car and van, but being in a hurry did not have time to disconnect the van and get the towball weight and van dead weight. Dunno if it's often left unattended and working but what a great idea. Why not? Especially on a major highway.
Point of the story - no ramps, all level ground.
Discovery 2TD5
and a tinny
Peridot
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Post by Peridot »

Autobarn have a scale for measuring towball weight for $70.

Sent from my 5099U using Tapatalk

All that really belongs to us is time,
even he who has nothing else has that. (Balthasar Gracian)

Peter

"Peridòt", 6.0m Jim Young, and 05 Jeep Renegade Cherokee
bachus
Yachtmaster

Post by bachus »

Tinggu wrote: Oct 23rd, '19, 18:44 Thanks Jim
That's interesting about the ramps up to the weighbridge and cocking the tow bar.
A while back we were pulling the van to Paynesville and pulled into a weighbridge stop on the highway, Trafalgar or somewhere like that but before Traralgon and the weighbridge lit up with the kgs so we did each axle, car and van, but being in a hurry did not have time to disconnect the van and get the towball weight and van dead weight. Dunno if it's often left unattended and working but what a great idea. Why not? Especially on a major highway.
Point of the story - no ramps, all level ground.
Agree, a level bridge is mucho better. Just none around me. Closest might be on the highway heading to gippy lakes from Melbourne but on the wrong side about Pakenham I think. Last time I looked it had been completely vandalised though and dead as a. . . . That was some time ago.
Jim
Castle 650 #96. Mystic.
zebedee
Admiral

Post by zebedee »

Peridot wrote: Oct 23rd, '19, 20:00 Autobarn have a scale for measuring towball weight for $70.
The problem with these is that the height of the scale is determined by the weight on it, which in turn varies depending on the height of the coupling if the trailer has a fairly high centre of gravity.
MoodyBlue
Administrator

Post by MoodyBlue »

I am going to point out a fact that most seem to be unaware of.

Level ride, WDH or what ever name you call them do level the tow vehicle / trailer when correctly adjusted.

They ALSO DO contribute to reducing sway.

I can only liken them to a wheelbarrow, where the wheel is the tow ball, and the barrow handles are where the bars attach to the drawbar. It is useless to have the two bars close together and MUST have as wide a "V" as possible to gain the maximum anti-sway leverage. Bars placed parallel to the draw bar will only help levelling and will be useless for anti-sway. When the trailer tries to sway one bar is raised while the opposing bar is lowered. The bar being raised will resist being raised further thus helping dampen any sway.

EDIT: none of the above negates having the trailer as best balanced and loaded as possible.
"There is no perfect boat. There are only those shaded to your preferences.":-)
Tinggu
Able Skipper

Post by Tinggu »

Have to agree that there is only only one sweet spot for the trailer to ride and that is when it is level, ie the height is the is the same from the rear end and front end, as a starting point. Hence the adjustable height tow hitch to match the car the trailer. Dual axle trailers especially. I am impressed by the evidence that the WDH reduces pitching. On our country roads that would be a blessing. I like Jim's outrigger idea to allow the WDH on a TS rig.
Discovery 2TD5
and a tinny
Peridot
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Post by Peridot »

We have just towed from the Far North to the Gold Coast. It was no fun at all on northern roads. A lot are bad, some are terrible. A lot of road-works, some rebuilding but a lot of widening. Our little Jeep has a 3.7 litre motor so bags of power, air bags in the back help the tired springs hold up. But pitching is a big problem, especially on roads in "black-soil" country, where the roads deteriorate into a wave pattern. Having followed this thread with interest I will look at LDH options today. Could help compensate for our short wheelbase.

We have a single axle trailer so I don't see that having it level is important, but when I weigh the tow-bar I make sure it is the same height as the tow-ball, and since that is relatively low it means digging a hole for the base of the scale. Our Young 6m is water-ballasted so the centre of gravity is higher than for a boat with normal ballast, and that probably adds to the pitching.

It was a pleasure to get on to the M1 south of Gympie, and we look forward to driving on NSW roads. We found last time we were down here they are much better than in QLD.

Before you say it, no, our Jeep is not an ideal tow vehicle. But cars, like boats, are a compromise. Wonderful Wife wanted a small automatic for the supermarket, etc. I wanted 4WD for retrieving at our lake when the level is below the ramps. We could tow with the motorhome, but that raises other issues. It all works, and I will be 73 next month. Counting down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Peter

guzzis3
Able Skipper

Post by guzzis3 »

Varying the height of the coupling gets the drawbar level but doesn't change the amount the car will sag. That's what the levelers are for.

My AU ute and EL sedan have towbars about the same height. My flatbed used to be a caravan and has a heavy towball weight. Hook it to the EL and the car drags it's backside. The ute hardly moves. If the balls were a bad height for the trailer a variable height coupling would fix the AU, but to get the EL level you really need a load leveler. you can shift the ball up and down to get the drawbar level but the car will still sag.

I bought my 1 ton crane scale on ebay for about $90. It is remarkably handy and accurate to within a couple of kg. This thread has reminded me I really should measure my flatbed's coupling weight. I hoisted the whole thing and it weighs about 540 kg.
Peridot
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Post by Peridot »

I know what sagging is like, we used to have a Mazda ute with a slide-on. Tried heavy duty springs, (bad), then air bags. Worked well, just had to remember to pump them up before loading. The Jeep does not sag, but it pitches, and I was hoping you would say the LDH would help. It is $500 plus fitting, plus some roller bearings to suit our McHITCH coupling. I presume Zeb's one that started all this is sold.
Peter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Peter

bachus
Yachtmaster

Post by bachus »

If sold they come up on a regular basis. If you can avoid the chain types, the hooks for the chain types are harder to mount on outriggers like I have. From the following photo you can see where the outrigger brackets came from.
But note that the chain types have higher adjustment capability over what I have.

What I have is as follows:
WDH.png
This is advertised on Gumtree in Perth for $80 - about what I paid.
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/emu-pla ... 1231510214
Jim
Castle 650 #96. Mystic.
zebedee
Admiral

Post by zebedee »

Peridot wrote: Oct 24th, '19, 14:14I know what sagging is like, we used to have a Mazda ute with a slide-on.
What vintage of Mazda?
I've got a 2012 (current shape) single cab 2wd, 1700kg tare, which is around 2600kg with my "garden shed" removable box and me (~100kg) onboard. That makes about 800kg including the tray on the back, which it handles admirably. GVM is 3200kg.
Peridot wrote: Oct 24th, '19, 14:14I presume Zeb's one that started all this is sold.
Down to $90 now!
bachus
Yachtmaster

Post by bachus »

Good price - but as stated for a TS . . Difficult to mount.
Jim
Castle 650 #96. Mystic.

Return to “For Sale, or Swap, Barter etc”