Ecoflow Delta Max Opinions Sought

Place for all of the tips, hints, and facts around the electrical and electronic stuff found around Trailer Sailers, Trailers, and associated vehicles.
Grith
Inshore Skipper

Ecoflow Delta Max Opinions Sought

Post by Grith »

Hi All I was wondering if anyone has any experience with these intergrated battery power packs. Just had a bit of a price drop whilst still very expensive at $2,699. Given they accept solar charge, engine charge, 240volt plug in very fast charge and provide sine wave inverter output at 2400w and also 12v and usb etc outlets all in a portable multi use camping and home emergency power unit I thought I would try one for my yacht, slide on camper and energy power outage home use.
Grith
Wellington East South Australia
Imexus 28
Hobie Adventure Islands (sailing trimaran kayaks)
Isuzu NLS AWD with Beyond Slide On Camper
bachus
Yachtmaster

Re: Ecoflow Delta Max Opinions Sought

Post by bachus »

Grith wrote: Jun 12th, '22, 11:02 Hi All I was wondering if anyone has any experience with these intergrated battery power packs. Just had a bit of a price drop whilst still very expensive at $2,699. Given they accept solar charge, engine charge, 240volt plug in very fast charge and provide sine wave inverter output at 2400w and also 12v and usb etc outlets all in a portable multi use camping and home emergency power unit I thought I would try one for my yacht, slide on camper and energy power outage home use.
No experience on my part. Why? Price seems a bit high to me even if discounted. The beast supplies 2400kWh of Lithium battery power. So approx 200ha of 12volt lithium battery ($1400) plus a 2400 watt inverter (Renology 3000W $400), fast (read high current) charger from solar panels or mains ( TBD but approx $2000 to spend and this seems excessive ) and some other lower cost bits packaged up.

Edit Math is wrong $1000 to spend but same comment applies
Last edited by bachus on Jun 14th, '22, 10:25, edited 1 time in total.
Mojo
Able Skipper

Post by Mojo »

I’m sure you can get the individual bits (battery, inverter, charger, regulator) cheaper and make up your own. The self contained unit will be convenient though. Depends if the extra cost for convenience is worth it for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
impulse
Able Skipper

Post by impulse »

How ,many thingymawassis (Amp hours) is the battery ?
Cheers Robin.

Robin & Terry.
Cavalier 9.75
bachus
Yachtmaster

Post by bachus »

Mojo wrote: Jun 13th, '22, 21:43 I’m sure you can get the individual bits (battery, inverter, charger, regulator) cheaper and make up your own. The self contained unit will be convenient though. Depends if the extra cost for convenience is worth it for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agree. A suitable dual input (alternator and solar) MPPT regulator is $300 from Renology. Continuing my math above that sums to $2100 . . . . So the convenience margin is reasonable at the $2800 price but certainly not at at the non discounted price.
Grith
Inshore Skipper

Post by Grith »

Hi All Well having now tested and also installed the Ecoflow Delta Max into my yacht it’s only test left is the about to commence 4-8 week Murray River expedition.
Re comments above whist individual components may be able to be purchased combined cheaper you would be struggling to pack them into a neat about 21 kilo package then control everything remotely via an app on your phone.
I have installed the unit in a conventional hatch with attached box as available through many marine stores which fitted it perfectly. This was slightly modified with 4 holes lined up with the units 4 cooling fans and one extra hole which all the charging and output cables exit through.
The whole thing easily then installed under one of my dinette seats.
Testing to date it all has worked superbly but the proof will be in the pudding over the extended journey.
The ability to remotely monitor on your phone input, output, state of charge, remaining charge time at current output, remotely switch on or off various output ports, modify the amount of input to match generator output and finally a 2400w sine wave 240 v output with 4800watt surge and accept and control solar, alternator and generator or mains power input makes the intergrated package a winner in my view to date if somewhat pricy. It is intended to power an induction cooktop, an 800w electric hot water service, a small ceramic heater and a compressor fridge primarily. $2699 delivered BTW.
A94D5069-1FA8-4165-9839-10D9A461F373.jpeg
Grith
Imexus 28
rseydler
Yachtmaster

Post by rseydler »

madmission
Able Skipper

Post by madmission »

Grith wrote: Jun 12th, '22, 11:02 Hi All I was wondering if anyone has any experience with these intergrated battery power packs. Just had a bit of a price drop whilst still very expensive at $2,699. Given they accept solar charge, engine charge, 240volt plug in very fast charge and provide sine wave inverter output at 2400w and also 12v and usb etc outlets all in a portable multi use camping and home emergency power unit I thought I would try one for my yacht, slide on camper and energy power outage home use.
Seems to me to be not overly large capacity for your intended AC loads and I would be careful overloading in light of the battery chemistry employed. :?

NMC warning
"Plus, LFP batteries can better handle larger draws of power. Because of this, LFP batteries are less likely to experience thermal runaway. To make it short, LFP batteries are less likely to catch on fire than NMC batteries."

https://www.solarreviews.com/blog/lithi ... s-compared
zebedee
Admiral

Post by zebedee »

rseydler wrote: Jun 17th, '22, 09:17 Now you can run one of these ;)

https://www.anacondastores.com/camping- ... 906-silver
Ideal cooling area: 25-40sq ft

40 square feet is less than 2m x 2m.
A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.
Grith
Inshore Skipper

Post by Grith »

madmission wrote: Jun 17th, '22, 10:12
Seems to me to be not overly large capacity for your intended AC loads and I would be careful overloading in light of the battery chemistry employed. :?

NMC warning
"Plus, LFP batteries can better handle larger draws of power. Because of this, LFP batteries are less likely to experience thermal runaway. To make it short, LFP batteries are less likely to catch on fire than NMC batteries."

https://www.solarreviews.com/blog/lithi ... s-compared
Hi Obviously when using battery based inverter power you don’t run everything at once.
The unit is actually very clever with its own cooling system and temperature monitoring all show on the app on your phone.
The big advantage for me was that it can run as a wattage supplement to a small generator allowing one of these to be used for much higher loads than they are capable of.
I have had an eu10 for over 20 years and it’s still going strong.
I was about to upgrade to the Honda eu2.2 as my slide on camper has both aircond and a microwave.
This unit was only a little more expensive whilst now allowing me to power these much larger loads.
I previously used the eu10 to run a 40 amp charger for batteries as well as other things but all this fiddle along with Inverters (now died in action) is redundant.
As my yacht actually has a factory generator box for an eu 20 my current eu10 also fits in there with a lot of room to spare.
As stated it’s about to get a big workout and I will report back.
PS I hope to only run the generator whilst driving either in the truck or with the outboard going so not adding anything else to the noise pollution in the wild! 🙂
Grith
Imexus 28
madmission
Able Skipper

Post by madmission »

Hi Graham
Well done :) sounds like you have good understanding of its operation looking forward to your review after your cruise. Apart from your petrol generator or shore power how do you charge the eco flow ? Will you you use dc dc converter from inboard / outboard alternator ?
Grith
Inshore Skipper

Post by Grith »

madmission wrote: Jun 17th, '22, 17:23 Hi Graham
Well done :) sounds like you have good understanding of its operation looking forward to your review after your cruise. Apart from your petrol generator or shore power how do you charge the eco flow ? Will you you use dc dc converter from inboard / outboard alternator ?
The ecoflow delta max is designed to accept solar change or charge from the engines alternator. Unfortunately not both at once which is perhaps it’s only oversight that I have found to date. Given its very technically sophisticated otherwise it’s seems an oversight but perhaps I just don’t understand the limiting factors. It does accept 240volt at the same time as either solar up to 100v or alternator at 12 or 24 volts. It apparently it optimises the use of solar over other sources.
It will all be tested shortly.
Grith
Imexus 28
madmission
Able Skipper

Post by madmission »

Interesting review on the Max's successor the Pro.

Looks like the pro sports LFP cells. Lifep04.
Grith
Inshore Skipper

Post by Grith »

Hi all Murphy struck again and my old faithful Honda eu10 generator of 22 years service died the day before embarking on our Murray River Cruise. Fortunately the local motorbike store in Tailem Bend is a Honda dealer and had an eu2.2 in stock. As I had been considering upgrading to one for our motorhome and the outboard Imexus is actually designed with a box in the stern to accommodate precisely one of these, a snap purchase was made.
The Imexus are designed to have hotwater systems and the diesel version can have a heat exchanger system but the outboard version needs an electric hws which mine already had.
One hour running this today ( whilst motoring into a stiff headwind so no addition noise really) saw the ecoflow fully recharged ( We commenced with the Ecoflow only about half charged due to above eu10 failure) and the hws was also fully heated in the first half hour. Based on use to date only about one hour of running every 2/3 days should be adequate in combination with the eco flow delta max battery system and the solar panels ( not doing much in overcast conditions yet) to cover all induction based cooking, compressor fridge and general electrical requirements. I have not yet used the outboard charging capability as wanted to monitor the new solar panels contribution first trying to limit my dependence on unleaded.
The remote monitoring and remote switching control is excellent allowing me to monitor solar input (generally about 60w from 320w of panels under clouds), adjust the battery charging rate from 200w to 1800w remotely and instantly, continuously monitor separately both 240v and 12 volt output and switch on and off the various power outlets.
So far the system looks capable of making the yacht able to be strictly battery and unleaded petrol dependant eliminating gas and or meths and opening up desalination options.
This trip in cold weather will give me a very good guide on how long we could potentially stay out in something as remote as the Kimberly’s given our unleaded carrying capacity of 200 litres.
Keeping the speed into the stiff headwind down to around 4 knots saw the outboard consuming about 2.5 litres per hour just ticking over at 1000 rpm. We sailed at a similar speed under just the Genoa when the wind direction permitted on the twisting river averaging about half half of each.
So far so good.🙂
Grith
Imexus 28
madmission
Able Skipper

Post by madmission »

I am sure you have this covered but just in case not
I note you have big outboard 150 hp
And running 1000 rpm
= big alternator @ low speed with potentially big dc loads
This victron vid may be of interest to you.

Any damage to an expensive alternator could be a spoiler.
Grith
Inshore Skipper

Post by Grith »

Hi Madmission. Ecoflow have dealt with the highlighted problem by having an adjustable car charging input maxed out at 8 amps and adjustable down to 2 amps in 2 amp increments. As such it doesn’t over stress the alternator on my 115hp Yamaha in the way highlighted in the very informative video you posted. Whilst idling at 1000rpm the alternator was feeding the ecoflow delta max around 100w ie 8 amps approx which was much higher than the available 20-40watts the solar panels were producing due to the overcast conditions. Under more sunny conditions I would be using the solar charging cable generating around twice this input from the current 320watts of hard solar panels. There is room for around another 120-200 watts of flexible panel mounting on the bimini which will be installed later. The ecoflow delta max is designed to accept up to 800watts of solar panels. However I doubt I can find out of the room for that much wattage at current panel size efficiencies.? Thank-you for your concern and the information.
PS Today without the headwind ( in fact no wind!) The 115 Yamaha was returning around 2 litres per hour at 3.5-4knots. This was still over 3x Eric’s 9.9hp Yamaha admittedly pushing over a half a ton at least lighter Court 750. 🙂
Grith
Imexus 28
Grith
Inshore Skipper

Post by Grith »

madmission wrote: Jun 23rd, '22, 22:40 Interesting review on the Max's successor the Pro.

Looks like the pro sports LFP cells. Lifep04.
I agree that they cannot match a full on solar battery system built by an expert but as a drop in solution to yachting and motorhome usage I still feel they will take some beating for size, package compactness and completeness and app control ability versus all but the most technically sophisticated home built systems. 🙂
Grith
Imexus 28
Grith
Inshore Skipper

Post by Grith »

Ecoflow Delta Max update. 8 days in the ecoflow continues to impress. The breadth of its capabilities and uses continues to amaze me. I will be fitting more solar panels however as now in winter my two 160watt panels struggle to produce 100w due to rigging shading and overcast conditions. The exact effect of tilting them and even a cloud passing over the sun can be monitored both in input wattage and via a graph on the control and monitoring app.
Summer should see a big improvement but the unit is capable of handling an 800w load from solar ( and 1800w from mains or gennie ) so more panels will be fitted to both bimini and dodger.
I will report back with more info once tested for a longer period.
Grith
Imexus 28

Return to “ELECTRICKERY (Electrical and Electronic Stuff)”