What do I have here

Place for all of the tips, hints, and facts around the electrical and electronic stuff found around Trailer Sailers, Trailers, and associated vehicles.
Tezza
Able Skipper

What do I have here

Post by Tezza » Apr 28th, '21, 15:51

Whilst replacing the battery today I thought it might be a good idea to check the wiring back to the small solar panel on the stern and came across below sheathed in a inner tube bicycle tube.
I’m guessing this is a home built fuse . What do I replace it with.
3173D804-0CE7-4714-8E80-3A08D2CB7066.jpeg
Sonata 6 Mango

zebedee
Admiral

Re: What do I have here

Post by zebedee » Apr 28th, '21, 16:22

That's a diode.
A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.

Tezza
Able Skipper

Post by Tezza » Apr 28th, '21, 16:25

So I’m guessing its best I leave it in situ.
Sonata 6 Mango

zebedee
Admiral

Post by zebedee » Apr 28th, '21, 16:30

It's basically a one way valve for electricity, with a (forward) voltage drop through it of about 0.7 Volts. That one is probably good for about 5 Amps.
The silver "bar" or "ring" marked around the right side indicates the direction current will flow.
  • Presumably it's in the positive wire from an unregulated solar panel on the left side to the battery on the right side? It prevents the battery discharging through the solar panel at night.
  • How big is the solar panel? Either in watts if it has a label, or area if not.
  • How big is the battery?
  • I assume there is currently no regulator?
A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.

Tezza
Able Skipper

Post by Tezza » Apr 28th, '21, 17:03

Yes its in the positive wire. I cannot see a regulator
Panel is app. 25x20 cms
Battery is Supercharge N43 gold plus 51, cca 410 ,amp hrs.46
Sonata 6 Mango

zebedee
Admiral

Post by zebedee » Apr 28th, '21, 17:23

OK, that's about a 5W panel producing a maximum of about 0.3 Amps, so you can get away without a regulator, but it will take many weeks (if ever!) to fully charge that battery even in summer. I'd recommend using a charger for a few days after trips, and only expecting the panel to maintain charge.

Tezza
Able Skipper

Post by Tezza » Apr 28th, '21, 17:48

Many many thanks zebedee . I would reckon it is the original set up (36+ yrs.)I actually bought a smart charger compatible with the battery. I only use the power for the electric keel winch ,depth and wind speed display and rare use of nav. lights .
Sonata 6 Mango

Tezza
Able Skipper

Post by Tezza » Apr 30th, '21, 16:19

After digesting what zebedee said above and reading up on google I decided to bring the electrics into the 21st Century and have purchased a 10w panel with appropriate pwm regulator and some led globes for Nav./ anchor lights. My knowledge of electrics was from Lucas days where smoke travelled through the wires and occasionally leaked out.
Sonata 6 Mango

zebedee
Admiral

Post by zebedee » Apr 30th, '21, 19:28

Sensible move.

And don't undervalue experience dealing with Lucas smoke; the principles are the same for all smoke and Lucas ensured you had plenty of opportunities to learn...

guzzis3
Able Skipper

Post by guzzis3 » May 1st, '21, 16:52

zebedee wrote:
Apr 30th, '21, 19:28
and Lucas ensured you had plenty of opportunities to learn...
ROFLOL.

I still have a range rover starter motor in the shed with the half rotten cardboard insulation.

I remember doing my apprenticeship back in the days when the diagnostic machines were the size of wardrobes. The teacher saying the ignition system trace should look like this except lucas systems that look like the condenser is shot. They look like that from new and you can't fix them...

Jaguar V12 owners just accepted life with a couple of fouled plugs but if you close the gap on the reluctor to 1 thou they light up and fire on all cylinders.

The good old days..

zebedee
Admiral

Post by zebedee » May 1st, '21, 17:24

Is the starter an M35 or had they progressed beyond the Bendix drive by the time they got to the Rover V8?
Occasionally I mention the JCB backhoe or the Ferguson 135 tractor at my friend's farm. They are bizarrely familiar to someone brought up on 1960s BMC cars.

Tezza
Able Skipper

Post by Tezza » May 1st, '21, 18:03

I had in total 5 Jags two were V12’s . The engines were magnificent , its what hung off them that caused all the trouble. The XJS was the last before all the pollution rubbish was added and it was serviced and tuned by a mechanic who raced an E type v12 and boy it was a beast.
Took me three hours to change plugs before I met him.
DA4265C9-FCEA-4BFB-87AC-66B38C86C901.jpeg
Sonata 6 Mango

zebedee
Admiral

Post by zebedee » May 1st, '21, 18:28

Ray (on the bay) has one or two odd looking devices hanging on his garage wall which he tells me are home made special tools for drastically cutting the time taken to do various jobs on V12 Jags...
Iain (of the JCB and the Fergie) has a collection of 1/2" drive extension bars and wobble joints which he tells me, if assembled in the correct order, make it possible to extract the starter motor from a Holden red six installed in a series IIA Land Rover without removing the entire motor, by threading the extensions through to the starter motor bolts from in front of the bullbar. The Land Rover still has its label on the firewall exhorting the owner to "Use only Genuine Rover approved spare parts"!

colect149
Yachtmaster

Post by colect149 » May 1st, '21, 21:06

We have really strayed off topic here but the posts had addressed the original question anyway. We all joke about Joseph Lucas being "the prince of darkness" I have had twelve Lucas equipped English cars since the mid fifties (I must be mad) and I still have two, apart from a coil in the MG I have never had any trouble. I am probably tempting fate here. The "bullet" connectors arn't nice and after fifty years they do tarnish. The Seven has been rewired but the MG still has the original cloth covered loom and no smoke has escaped so far.
Boatless. Kia Sportage 2L FWD, Jayco 13 Sprite, 1967 MGB roadster, 1932 Austin 7 Box Saloon,
Previous:- TS500, Ultimate 18, Cole 23, Laser, Ultimate16, Farr6000, Hardy 18 Motor Sailor, Farr7500, Farr5000.

guzzis3
Able Skipper

Post by guzzis3 » May 2nd, '21, 11:50

MGB was the least reliable car I ever owned, closely followed by an X1/9.

I did my apprenticeship in part on ambulances. The mechanics laughed at my 3/8 drive socket set but I have never broken anything, universal, flex drive, ratchet. I had a series of outrageously long extensions for unbolting the bellhousings to drop the C6 and C4 autos. Sometimes they wouldn't last a service interval. Take a dead cold 3T F250 out of the shed and immediately flaw it. I've seen 9 inch diffs come out as shrapnel and a FI windsor with a snapped crank and con rods with more bend than a bannana drove in to the workshop and on the hoist under it's own power...it was running a bit rough...

Tezza
Able Skipper

Post by Tezza » May 2nd, '21, 14:53

Ah the good old days. My first was a 1946 Studebaker Champion. Took me everywhere surfing.
When I first bought for 56 pounds I wondered why there was a large and small screwdriver in glove box. Small screw driver was to unscrew plate on top of transmission tunnel in front of front seat then unscrew plate on top of gearbox. Large screwdriver was to unjam gears in third gear which happened regularly.
Sonata 6 Mango

Return to “ELECTRICKERY (Electrical and Electronic Stuff)”