Depth Sounder not working

Place for all of the tips, hints, and facts around the electrical and electronic stuff found around Trailer Sailers, Trailers, and associated vehicles.
Jack
CompetentCrew

Depth Sounder not working

Post by Jack » Jan 5th, '21, 19:28

Back on the boat after the long Victorian lockdown and my depth sounder has an issue. It is a Plastimo Digipak-S. it flashes the word SOND. I do not have any manuals or info on this Sounder, but managed to find some info on the internet saying that the wire between transducer and screen is not connected. I checked the connections as well as the length of the wire and cannot see anything wrong.

Any ideas? Back on the boat in 2 weeks.
Cheers
Jack
Duncanson 26 DO27

Sue H
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Re: Depth Sounder not working

Post by Sue H » Jan 6th, '21, 06:20

Is it a plug in connection? if so I would have a good look at the pin and the socket it plugs into. The smallest speck of corrosion can cause an error in the connection. I'm no electronics wizz and would try googling the unit to see if the manual is available online... hopefully something small issue wise.
Good luck.

Jack
CompetentCrew

Post by Jack » Jan 7th, '21, 17:41

Thanks Sue,
Unfortunately I could not find any information on the unit on the internet. Checked the length of wire - all good with no visible damage. The end into the transducer looked like it was directly wired but I will have a closer look when I am back on the boat in two weeks. I will also pull out the back of screen connections and check that out.
Cheers
Jack
Duncanson 26 DO27

Sue H
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Post by Sue H » Jan 7th, '21, 19:27

You're correct Jack. The end into transducer would be sealed in manufacture as often they are submerged, ie powerboat on back of transom...I'm going for a bit of crud on the plug in end and hopefully an easy fix for you....or a wiggle of the plug to get the pins to seat correctly. Following with interest cause I hate "electrickery" issues...

Sue H
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Post by Sue H » Jan 7th, '21, 19:32

Just googled digital and found a forum where members were digging digipack just rebrands other products also suggested the enquire (on that forum) checked the back of the head unit for other markings.... I'll Google it again and see what's there...

Return to “ELECTRICKERY (Electrical and Electronic Stuff)”