What the outboard manual didn’t tell me

Any details you care to add about rebuilds, problems solved, how to do etc,
Tezza
Able Skipper

What the outboard manual didn’t tell me

Post by Tezza »

Bought a new Suzuki DF6A four stroke in 2018 and very happy with it. Two weeks ago I made up a couple of bungs to go in the cockpit drains when motoring and whilst doing unscrewed the pilot flushing plug and attached a hose to give the motor a flush. The flushing plug for some reason is nylon or whatever and the thread had stripped to the degree where It would not stay in the flushing port . BTW the plug has a hole in it where the water exits when motoring. I checked the manual and nowhere does it say do not use without plug in situ so I started it up and water came gushing out . No problems so I motored out to check the bungs.
Thirty mins out I could smell burning ,looked around no one near . Seems without the plug in water was being sucked in and straight out the flush hole with very little going into the engine. Got to within 30 metres of berth before it stopped . The burning smell was the wiring and cowling cooking . Thankfully a compression check by the dealer and full service showed no internal damage.
Sonata 6 Mango
svwanabe
Inshore Skipper

Re: What the outboard manual didn’t tell me

Post by svwanabe »

Very lucky that could have been a new motor again. See if you can get a brass bolt to fit and drill a hole in it, that wont fail
Noel with the Cole 23
Miami QLD
Tezza
Able Skipper

Post by Tezza »

svwanabe wrote: Jun 6th, '21, 17:46 Very lucky that could have been a new motor again. See if you can get a brass bolt to fit and drill a hole in it, that wont fail
Good idea thanks
Sonata 6 Mango
zebedee
Admiral

Post by zebedee »

And a useful warning for anyone fitting a hose barb to the flushing port of any outboard - a large opening in the cooling system which should not be there WILL interfere with cooling, so make sure the port is closed when running!
A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.
Wanton
Yachtmaster

Post by Wanton »

This is very interesting. I have always refused/avoided using the water intel plug to flush the motor out after use. I just did not like the idea that flushing it while cold may mean that some of the channels would not be open until the engine is at running temperature and any salts will remain undisolved inside the tubes. As a result I use a water filled bin to run the motor in after every use. I allow the motor to run for about 15 minutes. By that time it easily reaches running temperature. I also let the temperature of the water in the bin to get warm, with my theory being that warm water running through the motor's water passages will disolve any salts.
Ed
Wanton C22/110
All I wanna do is sail
http://www.baysidetrailableyachtclub.com
Tezza
Able Skipper

Post by Tezza »

The mechanic at Suzuki advised me not to use the flushing port in future but to get a suitable bucket from Bunnings ,suspend on the back full of fresh water and run the motor for 5 mins .No need to take off transom BUT I forgot to ask must I take off prop
Sonata 6 Mango
guzzis3
Able Skipper

Post by guzzis3 »

I never bothered removing the prop but my motors have always been small. I think it still pumps water in neutral ? or is yours only forward and reverse ?

My advice get the biggest bucket you can find. Even with a small motor it can chop into the bucket and also chuck water everywhere...
Tezza
Able Skipper

Post by Tezza »

Thanks Guzzis3 . Sucks in neutral.
Sonata 6 Mango
zebedee
Admiral

Post by zebedee »

Yes, outboard motor cooling systems work in neutral!
Blue 200 litre plastic drums work well, cut the top out or even cut them down to a suitable height to fit under your outboard while the boat is on the trailer.
A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.
Tezza
Able Skipper

Post by Tezza »

zebedee wrote: Jun 10th, '21, 16:18 Yes, outboard motor cooling systems work in neutral!
Blue 200 litre plastic drums work well, cut the top out or even cut them down to a suitable height to fit under your outboard while the boat is on the trailer.
Don’t have trailer. Boat is permanent in marina pen.
Sonata 6 Mango
bachus
Yachtmaster

Post by bachus »

Tezza wrote: Jun 10th, '21, 14:11 The mechanic at Suzuki advised me not to use the flushing port in future but to get a suitable bucket from Bunnings ,suspend on the back full of fresh water and run the motor for 5 mins .No need to take off transom BUT I forgot to ask must I take off prop
If like my Tohatsu Sailpro, the pro will turn slowly but with no force. So yes - as I do - I flush in fresh water bucket with propellor attached but running in neutral. Water will not last long in the bucket if running in gear.

AS a side note. Manufacturers will always state remove the prop. The turning prop of the idling engine might cause damage and they will be legally liable as a result . . . .
Jim
Castle 650 #96. Mystic.
Towing with Ford Territory SZII TX AWD
Wanton
Yachtmaster

Post by Wanton »

zebedee wrote: Jun 10th, '21, 16:18 Yes, outboard motor cooling systems work in neutral!
I have never taken the prop off when running my outboard in the bucket. The water is taken up and pumped about just as well as in neutral as when it is in gear. I use a piece of roof perspex to direct the water from the motor outlet back into the bucket. If I don't do that there is the danger that the water level in the bucket will fall below the intake....that would not be good. :shock: :shock:
Ed
Wanton C22/110
All I wanna do is sail
http://www.baysidetrailableyachtclub.com
Tezza
Able Skipper

Post by Tezza »

Thanks for this you have all eased my mind and answered a couple of doubts I had
Terry
Sonata 6 Mango
JimJ
Able Skipper

Post by JimJ »

The turning prop of the idling engine might cause damage and they will be legally liable as a result . . . .
As my rubbish bin can confirm.
It has several nasty cuts from engaging fwd.
Amazing what duct tape can repair.
Peter Yates
Admiral

Post by Peter Yates »

I have the old teflon cutting board vane on mine to protect the rudder from the prop. It also means I can fairly safely engage gears in the big bucket. But like Wanton, I do most of the flush in neutral with only a short, careful forward and reverse. I have the trigger hose ready to top up if needed. I have the bucket on a low stool that we use for our BBQ and by adjusting the jockey wheel, I can get just the right height for the motor leg to be submerged. When done I lower the jockey wheel to make it easier to remove the bucket.
Peter Y

Investigator 563 "Tricksy"

Tow car - Ford Territory 2WD diesel.
MoodyBlue
Administrator

Post by MoodyBlue »

I have a large tank (Round Blue barell) to use for running motors in, but if I do it with the motor still on the transom I use a normal rubbish bin. In gear is not an issue as our motor has stainless steel Power Thrust attachments which stop the prop hitting the sides (or rudder).
Attachments
OB-1.jpg
OB-1.jpg (67.3 KiB) Viewed 141 times
OB-7.jpg
"There is no perfect boat. There are only those shaded to your preferences.":-)
zebedee
Admiral

Post by zebedee »

I prefer the Johnson vertical UP telltale to downwards at an angle aft of the motor as all my motors (Chrysler, Honda, Tohatsu) have had so far.
MoodyBlue
Administrator

Post by MoodyBlue »

To be fair Zeb, my Johnson has the telltale DOWN out the Starboard side, which is out of sight from the operator. I moved the tell tale to the cowling by adding a suitable hole.
"There is no perfect boat. There are only those shaded to your preferences.":-)
zebedee
Admiral

Post by zebedee »

I prefer the Johnson MoodyBlue vertical UP telltale to downwards at an angle aft of the motor as all my motors (Chrysler, Honda, Tohatsu) have had so far.

Return to “OUTBOARD MOTOR STUFF”