Small outboard motor for inflatable tender

Any details you care to add about rebuilds, problems solved, how to do etc,
MoodyBlue
Administrator

Re: Small outboard motor for inflatable tender

Post by MoodyBlue »

If we are looking at weed eater motors, why not make a smaller version of the Long Tail motors used in Asia.

Not as fast as the video example but the principle is easy to copy

A bit more tame.

"There is no perfect boat. There are only those shaded to your preferences.":-)
Jon
Able Skipper

Post by Jon »

Cool long tail, can't give thumbs up.
bachus wrote: Sep 27th, '21, 12:30 Quoting myself to update some information after some research.

The drop stitch kayak option is good and an eye opener but the length will defeat me.
At 4+ metres in length to cary two persons they will have to be completely deflated for transport -
--[]-----,'Should be[ end quote] here

Length not an issue. Leave in kayaks in water overnight on a tether. I have sailed 10Nm between islands with an inflatable kayak on each gunwale, tie up by grab handles much like paddle board shown earlier. For longer passages or if in chop I deflate them and leave in the coffin berth.

If you can buy a stand up paddle board for $200 I suggest try one for at least a trip. Small dinghies with small motors are a lot of hassle for a castle sized boat.

Also we have used a rotomoulded kayak as a tender, a cheap second hand rotomoulded sit on top is excellent also as a long board type fender when coming alongside old oyster encrusted pile wharfs. They are long enough to span piles and have give to dampen motion.
Screenshot_20210928-091421_Gallery.jpg
Sail4life
Midshipman

Post by Sail4life »

Hey all,

I purchased a small 2nd hand sirrocco 2.2m air deck dinghy and Honda 4st 2.3hp ob. I normally tow it behind the Noelex. It’s a great light weight and compact setup.

Very economical to run and no water pump means I can run it up the beach and my kids can also legally drive it which gives added attraction to a weekend on the boat with me.

I can fit the motor in the lazarette if needed, but easier to just tow.

It tows well and handles a bit of rough water, caught in a 30 knot squall last weekend getting back to the boat to chit hatch before the rain. It will almost plane with me in it @95kg. It works perfect for my situation.

A pic from earlier this week at Rottnest Island with the missus
25B68D6E-F051-4413-9763-D42FB5AAB82F.jpeg
Fair winds,

DJ
SC Magnum 8.5
Hartley TS18
Noelex 25
8)
impulse
Able Skipper

Post by impulse »

What does it row like, the inflatable ?
Cheers Robin.

Robin & Terry.
Cavalier 9.75
Sail4life
Midshipman

Post by Sail4life »

Pretty well actually. I e we ouldnt like to row 1km into a 20 knot headwind, but for normal use it’s great.

DJ
SC Magnum 8.5
Hartley TS18
Noelex 25
8)
PaulS
Able Skipper

Post by PaulS »

Most row just like you imagine they would..... okay but not as good as a solid hull, ours does make forward motion but the motor is the answer.

PaulS
BETTER DROWNED THAN DUFFERS IF NOT DUFFERS WON'T DROWN
South Gippsland Victoria
zebedee
Admiral

Post by zebedee »

Jim; I've just bought a 4m rotomoulded kayak; it's even still strapped to the roof of my ute.
Would you like a look and a paddle? You're well within 15km as are a few suitable waterbodies.

It's a well used example of this model:
http://safarih2o.com.au/home/canoes-kay ... drifter-ii
A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.
bachus
Yachtmaster

Post by bachus »

An update.

The weed eater motors of the Honda GX25, GX35, etc ilk use an oil vapour lubrication system - hence can operate at any angle. This was the innovation that Honda patented in year 2000 approx. The Patent has now expired hence all the knockoffs.

But after considering the Chinese (and Thai) knockoffs and reviews of such - sorry, not going there. But to buy Genuine Honda GX35 power head is not possible (no stock) and even if was the combination of the motor and the outboard "bolt on" shaft is approaching $600.
Noting that I was considering the weed eater type as it can be disassembled - motor stored in the fuel locker and shaft inside the cabin.

If anyone else considers this bolt an outboard shaft to a 4 stroke power head - only GX35 compatible motors will fit to the generic outboard shaft. GX25 clutch too small, GX50 clutch too big.

There are used Honda 2.3's out there but again where to stow any such.

So the experiment. I have bought a Mercury 240 dinghy. I have bought a Watersnake ASP 24 electric motor and a Victron "super cycle" 24AH AGM all for apron $250. If does not pan out I will sell.

I plant to fit a Pulse Width Modulation speed controller to the motor - more efficient speed control (less amps used at half speed than the standard controller).

The 24AH AGM battery is approx 6.5kg so easy to lift in and out of the dinghy. I will sling this battery under the seat. I have a currently unused 120AH AGM but that at 37kG is not portable but in theory I can sling this under the seat as well (will need to spread the load) IF I can get it into the dinghy without dropping it and sinking same. I will charge the AGM in the boat using a second solar controller from the main house panel. Will see how this runs in parallel with the house controller charging the house lithium battery. So a few experiments . . . . and I can actually get on the water now to play . . .
Jim
Castle 650 #96. Mystic.
Towing with Ford Territory SZII TX AWD

Return to “OUTBOARD MOTOR STUFF”