Noelex 25 outboard

Any details you care to add about rebuilds, problems solved, how to do etc,
David Lamb
Midshipman
Has thanked: 0

Noelex 25 outboard

Post by David Lamb » Apr 11th, '20, 15:34

Can anyone recommend a 15hp-20hp four stroke outboard that will fit into my Noelex 25 without having to be modified.

Frank Peters
Able Skipper

Re: Noelex 25 outboard

Post by Frank Peters » Apr 11th, '20, 22:18

Hi All,
Two years ago I decided to update my Yamaha 9.9 4st outboard. I like electric start and minimal modification, 8 or 10Hp, anything bigger is an overkill. The only short leg was Tohatsu 9.8.4 st. I inspected few Noelexes and one was fitted nicely without ruder extension. So I ordered one on the way from Japan. Three weeks later it arrived This new model has high cowling and will not fit. So I learned how to cut and weld plastic. That was successful and all I needed to do was cut 25mm of the mounting board. That gave me 20mm clearance from ruder stock. Then I did not like the handle as it is in the way we walk in the cockpit. So I took it off and made small leaver fitted next to gear leaver. I have the original propeller, it is not perfect, but very economical. So I am happy with this motor, it is not Ferrari, more like Holden. Regards Frank

Peter Yates
Admiral

Post by Peter Yates » Apr 11th, '20, 22:39

A rude question, but why do you need 15-20HP for a Noelex?
Peter Y

Investigator 563 "Tricksy"

Tow car - Ford Territory 2WD diesel.

Harb
Able Skipper

Post by Harb » Apr 15th, '20, 19:41

David Lamb wrote:
Apr 11th, '20, 15:34
Can anyone recommend a 15hp-20hp four stroke outboard that will fit into my Noelex 25 without having to be modified.
Can't help with what would fit in a Noelex but would suggest you also check the range of props available for it to make sure they make a high trust prop for it or at least they can take a something like a Tohy or Honda high trust 4 blade .
I didn't think getting thee right prop would be an issue when I bought the 30hp Honda and after I modified the cat to take the outboard I found the lower pitched props for this model only go down to 9". I ended up using the lowest pitch 4 blade I could get my hands on which is a 9" so I can just reach the lower end of the recommended WOT range for the outboard but ideal pitch would have been a 7" which I'd have to have it custom made.

capt_nemo
Inshore Skipper
Been thanked: 0

Post by capt_nemo » Apr 18th, '20, 22:25

Hi David, I have also fitted a tohatsu 9.8HP with elect start & hi thrust/4 Bladeprop and it is a good match and a tight fit.
There are numerous good fit out examples getting around including the Honda also.
It did fit under the standard tiller but I have since been loaned a tiller lift extension and that is soooooo much better.
My wife and I changed the motor from an 8hp Yammy to the Toehy in the King St Car Park at Paynesville so it is not really a difficult job for the basics.
We used a block off the boom to lift it into the boat.

The new motor works really well in reverse and gets to max hull speed easily. It will cruise economically at 5 knots also.

This is a round about way of suggesting that bigger than 10HP is unlikely to produce any nett benefit whereas the excess weight, fuel consumption and size might tip the scales backwards.

cheers

Steve
NX933-Wild Honey

Furstin
Admiral

Post by Furstin » Apr 18th, '20, 22:52

In that vein, I'm curious why you would want 30hp and a 7" prop? Surely torque at less hp would do the same, or make use of hp with faster prop on cat.

As for noelex, there's a few fitting experiences on here you can search for. That said current models are relevant.
I know macdee fitted the 4 st 9.8 tohey without much drama.

Sent from my SM-A705YN using Tapatalk

pdandy
Admiral

Post by pdandy » May 10th, '20, 17:27

I'll put in another vote for 8-9 hp , lighter is better.

Stay away from the suzuki 8 - I'm too lazy to search for the old description of my fitting saga , admittedly that was about 6 years ago and it's coping well with neglect - still pulls 3 kids on a paddle board at 6.5 knt....

Personally, I'd be looking at the newish yamaha 9.9 - it's the most compact , and most importantly I could buy one from Bairnsdale instead of a certain dealer in Pain vile
noelex 25 green velvet

duncanhayward
Able Skipper

Post by duncanhayward » May 10th, '20, 20:33

Furstin wrote:
Apr 18th, '20, 22:52
As for noelex, there's a few fitting experiences on here you can search for. That said current models are relevant.
I know macdee fitted the 4 st 9.8 tohey without much drama.

X2 for the Tohatsu 9.8 with hi thrust prop. Electric start. Remote throttle. Good combination.

No real issues with installation. Took the boat through Whitsundays / tidal waters / chop / without any problems.
Duncan
Noelex 25 #952
Quo Vadis

zebedee
Admiral

Post by zebedee » May 10th, '20, 22:20

pdandy wrote:
May 10th, '20, 17:27
I'll put in another vote for 8-9 hp , lighter is better.

Stay away from the suzuki 8 - I'm too lazy to search for the old description of my fitting saga , admittedly that was about 6 years ago and it's coping well with neglect - still pulls 3 kids on a paddle board at 6.5 knt....

Personally, I'd be looking at the newish yamaha 9.9 - it's the most compact , and most importantly I could buy one from Bairnsdale instead of a certain dealer in Pain vile
Start here.
A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.

Harb
Able Skipper

Post by Harb » May 18th, '20, 17:08

Furstin wrote:
Apr 18th, '20, 22:52
In that vein, I'm curious why you would want 30hp and a 7" prop? Surely torque at less hp would do the same, or make use of hp with faster prop on cat.
To chase the wind when sailing and go fishing when I'm not sailing. :wink:
1.jpg
In my case I need to push it above 9.5-10kn to start planning the hull.
There is more to it then just torque , the weight of the boat & hull shape affect the propeller slippage and boat speed.

The "faster" 12" pitch that came with the BF30 from the factory was struggling to reach 4500rpm and 7-8kn because the slippage was around 63%
With outboard optimum torque in between 5000-6000 rpm the 9" pitch 3 blade will get me up to 12kn at 5900rpm so nearly the top of the WOT range. Add the extra blade and the 9" pitch 4 blade gets me up to 11.9kn but lower range of WOT at 5150rpm. The difference in rpm/speed is due to propeller slippage ,35% for the 4 blade and 43% for the 3 blade.
Since theoretically each inch in pitch is worth about 200rpm a 7" pitch 4 blade prop should allow the motor to rev right in the sweet spot of around 5550 at WOT.

Cpedicini
Midshipman

Post by Cpedicini » Mar 24th, '21, 10:19

I’m interested in any recent updates regarding experience with fitting Tohatsu 9.8 4 stroke to the Noelex 25. I am thinking of ordering one but would like to understand what modifications to engine well or tiller may be necessary.

capt_nemo
Inshore Skipper

Post by capt_nemo » Mar 24th, '21, 16:48

Hi cpedicini,

Ours was/is a tight fit and we made nil modifications to slot it in.
The tiller did rub across the top of the motor as an interference fit at first and we have a loan tiller extension at the moment.
This is HIGHLY encouraged since it stop rubbing on the motor and allows you to get at the well plate more easily when you lift & tilt the engine to have a real sail.
The 15 litre tank could be a tad bigger.

There is also a modification somewhere on this site about how to modify & eroute the small exhaust out the back to remove the last of the small fumes. On my list of things to do!

thanks

Steve
NX933-Wild Honey

duncanhayward
Able Skipper

Post by duncanhayward » Mar 24th, '21, 19:18

Same experience as Steve. Fits well, but not much room. No permanent changes made. We didn't opt for the tiller modification. Instead we use a small wooden wedge, with a loop of 3mm rope through it, that hangs permanently over the tiller. When motoring we lift the tiller to the required height to clear the outboard cover (1 inch max) and place it underneath the tiller and on top of the metal frame that supports it and the rudder. When sailing we pull it out and it hangs there until needed next.
Duncan
Noelex 25 #952
Quo Vadis

Frank Peters
Able Skipper

Post by Frank Peters » Apr 10th, '21, 16:58

Hi All,
I have modify Tohatsu 9.8 4st cowling to fit my Noelex 25 because the new model does not fit. Cowling is higher then previous model and ruder extension I don't like. One option is to buy older model cowling and replace it. I also recommend proper maintenance as this motor is a bit fussy in carburetor cleaning. It let me down in the way to Lakes Entrance and it was not pleasant, Regards Frank

sheikjabooti
CompetentCrew

Post by sheikjabooti » May 4th, '21, 01:55

This article on the Noelex association suggests a Yamaha F9.9J. See page 10.
http://noelex.org.au/wp-content/uploads ... ltales.pdf

Also a few pics as well...
http://noelex.org.au/2014/06/03/yamaha- ... tallation/
David
Van de Stadt MB21
On 'P' plates

Return to “OUTBOARD MOTOR STUFF”