Oops we bought a yacht.

For our friends who no longer are able to have a trailer under their Yacht ;-) and we all use a mast and sails at the end of the day (or start of the day!!)
PA.
Midshipman

Oops we bought a yacht.

Post by PA. »

We were looking for a trailer sailer but the wife wanted a bit more space, so we bought a Beneteau 50. oops.
Sunrise Bow.jpg
Beneteau.jpg
Beneteau 50.jpg
impulse
Able Skipper

Re: Oops we bought a yacht.

Post by impulse »

Good one.
You'll need a bigger trailer.
Cheers Robin.

Robin & Terry.
Cavalier 9.75
rseydler
Yachtmaster

Post by rseydler »

That's an odd oooppss..
Furstin
Admiral

Post by Furstin »

That's a bit more space alright!
Mat,
Hunter 310
Grith
Inshore Skipper

Post by Grith »

Well that’s one hell of buying a bigger yacht and a complete change of direction. Have you done much ocean sailing with the better half previously?🙂
Personally I found long days of short handed watches to get anywhere interesting in sometimes unpredictable weather is what lead me back to trailer sailers after trialling some big catamarans.
They were supremely comfortable at anchor and so spacious but once the local sailing patch is exhausted then can be a bit epic getting to the next one unless opting out of the work a day world long term or retiring.
I however hope it turns out perfectly for you.
The chap I purchased my current trailer sailer from purchased a share in a big cat and then went straight back and purchased a new version of the same trailer sailer he sold me. 🙂
Grith
Wellington East South Australia
Imexus 28
Hobie Adventure Islands (sailing trimaran kayaks)
Isuzu NLS AWD with Beyond Slide On Camper
Castle 610
Yachtmaster

Post by Castle 610 »

Looks great! You'll have a lot of fun in that!
Stephen
Castle 650 'Mad Mouse'
Sabre 1205 'Wasp'
Nacra 14sq 'Vamoose'
PA.
Midshipman

Post by PA. »

We have sailed from Sydney and today crossed Wide Bay Bar. We have done four night passages so far and are still talking to each other. :) Looking forward to some shorter trips that don't drag. Been head winds on most of our time off the coast so far so lots of motoring and motor sailing.
impulse
Able Skipper

Post by impulse »

Can't have too big a yacht. :wink:
Cheers Robin.

Robin & Terry.
Cavalier 9.75
bachus
Yachtmaster

Post by bachus »

My maternal grandmother some many decades ago once told me - “a gentleman does not beat to windward”. Where that places the bulk of us I am not sure but in her terms you are doing well :P
Furstin
Admiral

Post by Furstin »

Head down to Gary's and have a few.

Mat,
Hunter 310
Sue H
Able Skipper

Post by Sue H »

Now that is a pretty good sized Trailer Sailer!!!! Beautiful.
Tezza
Able Skipper

Post by Tezza »

What SOG did you average Syd. to Wide Bay. Great looking boat.
Sonata 6 Mango
PA.
Midshipman

Post by PA. »

Furstin wrote: Jun 16th, '22, 19:14 Head down to Gary's and have a few.
We are in Garry's tonight.
PA.
Midshipman

Post by PA. »

Tezza wrote: Jun 17th, '22, 11:05 What SOG did you average Syd. to Wide Bay. Great looking boat.
The slog from Newcastle to Coffs Harbour was slow. We were too far out and had around 3 knots of current against us plus we had 15 to 20 knots on the nose. On the passage from Coffs to Yamba was similar but we learnt and were closer to the coast. When we got to Yamba we aborted entering the channel a few hundred meters off as the waves just mounted up. A 6 metre high pyramid of water the the middle of our path put the err of caution into us and we turned and headed for the Gold Coast. So an immediate unplanned overnight passage. We had 20 to 30 knots on the nose most of the night but it did reduce as a we approached the Queensland. A very docile entry into the spit and upon looking up at our main it was torn. We furled it away in the mast only to remove it later with a knife. It was old and needed replacing so not really a loss.

We seem to get overnight passages with wind not good for sailing. On the leg from Morton Bay to Wide Bay Bar we had very little wind, just a rolley sea. Motored all night long. Got to Double Island around 3 am and got some sleep. Got up around 6 and made the last of the high tide to cross the bar.

The pitch on the propeller needs adjusting and can only be done out of the water so that will have to wait until next summer. We manage around 7 knots without over revving the engine. It should be able to achieve closer to 9 knots but we will see.
IMG_1503.jpg
IMG_2220.jpg
Main Out.jpg
Tezza
Able Skipper

Post by Tezza »

Thanks for the run down . Looking on the Windy app the East Aus current is quite prominent right now. You were not by chance motoring up the Broadwater to Moreton Bay last Wednesday. A large Benny gave me a wave just north of Jacobs Well when I was sailing south.
Sonata 6 Mango
madmission
Able Skipper

Post by madmission »

There were warnings posted about this type of behaviour I hope its not a covid mutation.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13908&hilit=Rl28
MargGannet
Yachtmaster

Post by MargGannet »

Haha too late for me! :-)
Marg
Twice Five Northshore 33
LC 80 series
Bayswater North, Vic
Tezza
Able Skipper

Post by Tezza »

madmission wrote: Jun 19th, '22, 14:30 There were warnings posted about this type of behaviour I hope its not a covid mutation.
Oh hell don’t say that. I have literally only today convinced myself that I don’t really need either of those two keelers I have been looking at and decided to refurbish the interior of my 6 and shout myself a new main.
Sonata 6 Mango
impulse
Able Skipper

Post by impulse »

madmission wrote: Jun 19th, '22, 14:30 There were warnings posted about this type of behaviour I hope its not a covid mutation.
According to the BIA it was an experimental prototype virus that escaped from a policy committee meeting at TSP headquarters.
Cheers Robin.

Robin & Terry.
Cavalier 9.75
Furstin
Admiral

Post by Furstin »

A smart person once noted only buy the boat big enough to do what you want to. For some folks that's 50ft!

After having small, biggish, stinky, quiet, etc we have something that I think fits, well it fits for the next 8 years.

50ft is big, personally I think 13m the sweet spot for 2 with 2 visitors occasionally. Pullman berth a requirement.

You would have had a very southerly set for the trip, hope that was good at least.
Mat,
Hunter 310
Arbee
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Post by Arbee »

Yes, that's a big upsize, well done! I wouldn't have been game to upsize that much in one jump. When we bought our Hunter 306 after years of 22-23 ft TS's, it took some getting used to docking it and prop walk, hope you're well endowed with thrusters.

Robert
Hunter 306 "Charisma"
Arbee
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Post by Arbee »

Arbee wrote: Jun 19th, '22, 20:57 Yes, that's a big upsize, well done! I wouldn't have been game to upsize that much in one jump. When we bought our Hunter 306 after years of 22-23 ft TS's, it took some getting used to re docking, wheel and prop walk, hope you're well endowed with thrusters.

Robert
Hunter 306 "Charisma"
PA.
Midshipman

Post by PA. »

Tezza wrote: Jun 18th, '22, 09:42 Thanks for the run down . Looking on the Windy app the East Aus current is quite prominent right now. You were not by chance motoring up the Broadwater to Moreton Bay last Wednesday. A large Benny gave me a wave just north of Jacobs Well when I was sailing south.
My log tells me on Wednesday we went from Manly Boat Harbour to Double Island Point. If I had passed you by I would have waved.
PA.
Midshipman

Post by PA. »

I find the Beneteau 50 easier to dock than our Cole 23 was. It has a 5 kw bow thruster but I only use to it adjust the position of the bow once the midship cleat is on if berthing bow in. Reversing in I use the bow thruster for fine adjustments. The berth we were in on the Pittwater was designed for 40 foot yachts. It was tight and the first couple of times backing in there I abandoned and exited. I then had an experienced sailor do it and I watched very carefully, each time after that I got it but I would pick my times.
Furstin
Admiral

Post by Furstin »

Our hunter 310 is a pig to reverse in, has massive prop walk to port. But that can be used and abused.
You miss being able to manipulate steerage with a outboard sometimes!
My comment about length was around some berths facing inside where 50ft just won't fit well.
Should give you high milage days though. Pacific?

I'm sure you will make it all you need, are you qld based?

Mat,
Hunter 310

Return to “DARK SIDERS (Keel Boats)”