OVNI

For our friends who no longer are able to have a trailer under their Yacht ;-) and we all use a mast and sails at the end of the day (or start of the day!!)
Jon
Able Skipper

OVNI

Post by Jon »

I have always wanted an Ovni as my next boat as it appears to bring most of the positive attributes of the TS in a keelboat.
This advert for a second hand Ovni popped up today in my feed. I think they have done a good job selling the dream, my kids want one now and I hope you enjoy it.

Watch "THE MOST VERSATILE YACHT IN THE WORLD - THIS OVNI 435 YACHT IS FOR SALE" on YouTube
Furstin
Admiral

Re: OVNI

Post by Furstin »

Yes, great boats, and as you see a bit of a gold brick, even for 20yr old boat.

Furstin
Admiral

Post by Furstin »

Jon
Able Skipper

Post by Jon »

Nice boat, but a forty year old alloy boat gives me nightmares. I used to look after three, 10m long, 35 yr old alloy plate boats at work. They were all rehulled at least once. 6mm corrosion pits in 7mm plate is worrying stuff.

I have also been luking on the OVNI French forum for the last seven days with translation software. Lots of corrosion issues with dissimilar metals, lead ballast eating hull or being an anode in a marina.

I love the ONVI concept, but only after a big windfall and then onsell it after a few years. Now researching Adams 13m daggerboards.
impulse
Able Skipper

Post by impulse »

Interesting comments and makes me wonder whether there has ever been a perfectly built boat, given that there aren't really any perfect materials in a marine environment.
Cheers Robin.

Robin & Terry.
Cavalier 9.75
Furstin
Admiral

Post by Furstin »

Lots of foam core Adams were built, which have another set of fun potential issues. Also a canoe.

Jon
Able Skipper

Post by Jon »

I have spent many years of my life travelling around the world on war canoes. As long as your not travelling slow or stopped in a beam sea it's a nice efficient hull form.

PS this is good link to follow as an alternative to OVNI

Facebook
My Kiribati Mk2 Aluminum Construction

An impressive Melbourne lock down project.
Last edited by Jon on Jul 22nd, '21, 09:22, edited 1 time in total.
Furstin
Admiral

Post by Furstin »

Yep, exactly. Plus fortunately you do actually stop.
There's alot of great designs out there..... sunbeams etc, some great euro shallow draft boats that we don't really see.

There's a roper 40 pilothouse drop keel which is great aus design, but only a couple made.

Return to “DARK SIDERS (Keel Boats)”