I've joined the dark side - and happy about it!

For our friends who no longer are able to have a trailer under their Yacht ;-) and we all use a mast and sails at the end of the day (or start of the day!!)
Wingman
CompetentCrew

I've joined the dark side - and happy about it!

Post by Wingman »

We finally sold our Boomerand 20 to a great new owner who is thrilled to bits with it. Our new boat is a Cavalier 28 which we have named Elleray. We are absolutely over the moon with this boat and the survery was glowing. The only thing I wasn't happy with was the rubbish TD 10HP engine which we have just replaced with a lovely, shiny and red Beta Marine 16hp. I can't say enough about the engine or Beta Marine Australia who did the installation for us; in three days... I've had a heap of fun sorting all the electrics as the previous owner was a day sailor and as we're cruisers, it needed some attention. Boat came with the mooring apparatus and we couldn't be happier with our location in Alexandra Bay (Lane Cove River).

We loved our Boomerang but having more than 6' headroom in the cabin and an enclosed head (my wife and daughter insisted on this!), is pretty nice.
port tiny.jpg
port tiny.jpg (6.74 KiB) Viewed 237 times
Cheers!

Wingman
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cavalier 28 'Elleray" - CYCA
Sue H
Able Skipper

Re: I've joined the dark side - and happy about it!

Post by Sue H »

Congratulations.... nice looking craft.
Furstin
Admiral

Post by Furstin »

Great boat!

Yes, the twin pot is so much smoother, good choice.
MargGannet
Yachtmaster

Post by MargGannet »

Congratulations. Sounds great!
Marg
Balderdash Cavalier 30
LC 80 series
Bayswater North, Vic
bachus
Yachtmaster

Post by bachus »

Congratulations. But keep in touch :-)
Jim
Castle 650 #96. Mystic.
Towing with Ford Territory SZII TX AWD
Jon
Able Skipper

Post by Jon »

Congratulations and I see your from Canberra, I’m interested in hearing how the keeler on a mooring works for you. I can see myself going that way in a couple of years.
impulse
Able Skipper

Post by impulse »

Having a boat on a mooring is sometimes a pain and even though I am not in a position to afford a berth in a marina I'm not actually convinced they are that much better. My mooring is a 5 minute walk down the road and I have a similar problem with bird droppings as I would do in a marina which is a 10 minute drive away.
More often than not however the short row out to the boat on a beautiful still morning really is blissful, and not having a trailer to maintain is the icing on the cake. 8)
Cheers Robin.

Robin & Terry.
Spider 22 - Tool Time.
Tezza
Able Skipper

Post by Tezza »

Got kicked off daughters pontoon so have Mango in marina berth between two large motor cruisers . Could not be happier. Go down to boat any time , hop on and I’m off .Or wander down do some work on her or wash down or whatever. Chat to neighbours (all oldies like me).
24hr. Security. Whats not to like! Err the $4600 pa fee.
Sonata 6 Mango
Wingman
CompetentCrew

Post by Wingman »

Thanks for your kind comments. Going from a trailer to a mooring has so far really worked for us. I've always hated towing and even though I got competent at launching and retrieving the TS, I always hated boat ramps and the amout of D**kheads that seem to be attracted to them (and who are always free with their worldly advice...). All told, our costs are comparable to our former situation (our boat was in the CYC boatyard) so we are happy with that. For me though the best thing, as mentioned above, is the ability to just get on and go. Yes I travel from Canberra or usually from work in Goulburn on a Thursday night, but I used to have to travel a similar timeframe, while towing a boat, to get the TS to the water and then have set-up. Winning!
Cheers!

Wingman
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
guzzis3
Able Skipper

Post by guzzis3 »

Tezza wrote:
Jun 2nd, '21, 19:06
Got kicked off daughters pontoon so have Mango in marina berth between two large motor cruisers . Could not be happier. Go down to boat any time , hop on and I’m off .Or wander down do some work on her or wash down or whatever. Chat to neighbours (all oldies like me).
Did you look into getting a mooring ?

I've heard it's virtually impossible in SEQ but I haven't tried and wouldn't know where to start.

Now I can't drive a TS is a lot less attractive.
Tezza
Able Skipper

Post by Tezza »

guzzis3 wrote:
Jun 3rd, '21, 12:28
Tezza wrote:
Did you look into getting a mooring ?

I've heard it's virtually impossible in SEQ but I haven't tried and wouldn't know where to start.

Now I can't drive a TS is a lot less attractive.
Never tried Guzzis .
I gather you apply with Waterways Gold Coast for Gold Coast or for rest of Qld.
https://www.msq.qld.gov.au/-/media/MSQI ... .pdf?la=en
Sonata 6 Mango
MartinDreaming
Able Skipper

Post by MartinDreaming »

Wingman wrote:
Jun 2nd, '21, 15:43
We finally sold our Boomerand 20 to a great new owner who is thrilled to bits with it. Our new boat is a Cavalier 28 which we have named Elleray. We are absolutely over the moon with this boat and the survery was glowing. The only thing I wasn't happy with was the rubbish TD 10HP engine which we have just replaced with a lovely, shiny and red Beta Marine 16hp. I can't say enough about the engine or Beta Marine Australia who did the installation for us; in three days... I've had a heap of fun sorting all the electrics as the previous owner was a day sailor and as we're cruisers, it needed some attention. Boat came with the mooring apparatus and we couldn't be happier with our location in Alexandra Bay (Lane Cove River).

We loved our Boomerang but having more than 6' headroom in the cabin and an enclosed head (my wife and daughter insisted on this!), is pretty nice.
port tiny.jpg
Dark-sider here in peace ...

Hi Wingman, I did almost the same thing over a year ago, selling my Austral 20 and getting a Cavalier 28. Nice boat. Mine still has the original Bukh 10HP single-cylinder and I'm considering replacing it. My budget is looking like $10K for a Nanni 14 HP plus $5K for all the other stuff, including new beds, wiring, pipes etc. How does this compare with your engine replacement?
Cavalier 28 "Bolero"
Previously Austral 20 Mark 2 "Yakumin", Sail Number 108
http://theboattinkerer.blogspot.com.au/
Furstin
Admiral

Post by Furstin »

Long time darksider, has recently downsized back to spacesailer 24, and repowered with honda 10hp.
We will go back up in size, but this suits us ATM.

Wingman
CompetentCrew

Post by Wingman »

MartinDreaming wrote:
Jun 4th, '21, 13:13
Dark-sider here in peace ...

Hi Wingman, I did almost the same thing over a year ago, selling my Austral 20 and getting a Cavalier 28. Nice boat. Mine still has the original Bukh 10HP single-cylinder and I'm considering replacing it. My budget is looking like $10K for a Nanni 14 HP plus $5K for all the other stuff, including new beds, wiring, pipes etc. How does this compare with your engine replacement?
Hi Martindreaming,

The retail for the Nanni 14hp is just over $11000 but I was offered one at trade which was about $9500. Nanni Australia were great ( a bit slow to respond to emails though) but the determining factor for me was installation. I had to arrange an independent installer and my experience with maritime diesel mechanics in Sydney has been very, like VERY, negative (except for Alan in Balmain). No call-backs, no reply to emails etc. Beta Marine were BRILLIANT from the outset and handled installation and will service the engine for me as well. As for installation costs, mine was about $5000 so I think you're on the money by saying $15000 for a repower. They had to repair some butchering of the engine bed from the previous installation and I needed a high-rise exhaust but $5000 still covered it. I'm sure you've done your research but I have found that Nanni parts are expensive. $36 for a bleed screw??? Check what comes with the engine because from memory it was just the basic stuff. From memory all the control cabling, electric wires etc are standard but exhaust pipes will be extra. Have fun!
Last edited by zebedee on Jun 6th, '21, 11:08, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed quoting code
Cheers!

Wingman
Wingman
CompetentCrew

Post by Wingman »

Tezza wrote:
Most marinas in Sydney Harbour are about $12000+ per year... No thanks.
Cheers!

Wingman
impulse
Able Skipper

Post by impulse »

I just repowered my Cav32 with a Beta30. It was a $13.5 K change over doing all the work myself, including a new split coupling, anti-siphon loop and motor controls. Their base price included everything I needed except the split coupling, that is gearbox & mounts complete.
Whether Beta is better than Nanni or Yanmar I wouldn't know, but their sales and technical support is excellent. The motors are designed for DIY installation and ease of maintenance and this does not void the warranty. They are an English marinised Kubota engine so a well known and reliable base.
I went with the 30Hp as it, supposedly, fitted my existing engine mount footprints better. It was close, minor & relatively easy alteration.
My main complaint is I need a new prop as the gear reduction is different from the old Bukh. Luckily a smaller flatter one so hopefully will be a cheap fix.
(I can't believe I actually used that word, cheap, on a boating forum. :roll: )
Cheers Robin.

Robin & Terry.
Spider 22 - Tool Time.
rseydler
Yachtmaster

Post by rseydler »

With all the talk of electric power did anyone price up an electric conversion ala sailing Uma style?
Tezza
Able Skipper

Post by Tezza »

I have had the Sonata 6 for four years now and although I’m having a ball on her I sometimes yearn and bigger craft and to go back the a keeler and then I ask why? I sail solo mainly ,where I sail is very tidal and lots of sand banks and I do not intend staying overnight onboard regularly. Aside from touching up the topsides anti skid and fixing that soft spot on the foredeck nothing needs doing unless I want to refurbish the interior. Everything else new since 2018 . Buy a keeler ,boat dollars . Decisions, decisions. But still the grass always looks greener.
Sonata 6 Mango
Furstin
Admiral

Post by Furstin »

Solas can repitch and reduce circumference for a reasonable price compared to a new prop.
Wingman
CompetentCrew

Post by Wingman »

I have to be honest and say that I didn't even think about electric. I like the little control stick they have on Sailing Uma but I also note that they're a running a massive solar array. As for the Nanni V. Beta debate it's hard to say. Beta has a 5 year warranty against the 3 for Nanni and the 'factory' installation/servicing was too good to pass up IMHO. I'm sure Yanmar are great but I couldn't even get a quote because noone got back to me...
Cheers!

Wingman

Return to “DARK SIDERS (Keel Boats)”