Trailerable trimarans

Members Trip Write ups and placed of interest visited with their Trailer Sailers
wet-feet
Midshipman

Re: Trailerable trimarans

Post by wet-feet »

Rseydler the scarab 10 looked like a fun day out.
The young fella had a smile on his head.
Furstin
Admiral

Post by Furstin »

Even Keel wrote:Hi Tony,
Violet hill is a steep ramp but LOTS of cross current so very tricky. Also a crappy dirt road to get there. Mungo Brush is very shallow but should be ok. I'd be going there as long as you don't have an unusually high trailer.
Re myall
I don't recall any cross current at violet Hill in the 10+ times I've used it, but probably coukd get it in flood - it's the best ramp for top lake access, but road conditions can vary, rains can corrugate, etc. Pontoon around from ramp, beach next to.

Nerong on bottom Lake a nice ramp, no pontoon, but a wall with tyres for fenders.
Not bad, but muddy bottom if you wade to centre boat.

Nerani, gravel shallow ramp, good for smaller boats, but big have launched.

Not too keen on others.

wet-feet
Midshipman

Post by wet-feet »

Cheers furstin
What have you launched there?
A lot of the camp sites are closed after the flood apparently and Parks are concerned about navigation hazards.
Furstin
Admiral

Post by Furstin »

Ts16, Princess 18, sonata 26,
impulse
Able Skipper

Post by impulse »

Violet Hill is a nice steep ramp, stiff southerlies are more of a problem than current. Ample little beach area beside.
Truth is, if National Parks had their way they would boot everyone off the lake and keep it as a nature reserve.
The access road is ok for a dirt track, still better than your average Sydney road. We can't expect to get everywhere on tarmac.
I've only launched monos, 26 and 28 footers.
Cheers Robin.

Robin & Terry.
Spider 22 - Tool Time.
Furstin
Admiral

Post by Furstin »

Sorry, width issue!
Nerong might be a problem, violet Hill good, leggs camp good, Mungo good, nerani no go.

Violet puts you straight into top Lake, also an easy stop to hop in car to get to town for a restock if there for a couple of weeks.

wet-feet
Midshipman

Post by wet-feet »

An interesting vid
rseydler
Yachtmaster

Post by rseydler »

:)
Even Keel
CompetentCrew
Has thanked: 0

Post by Even Keel »

Looks like a beautiful sailing boat. It reminds me a lot of the skiff moths from the late 90's, and the challenges we had sailing them down wind in a blow. We didn't have trainer wheels though.
rseydler
Yachtmaster

Post by rseydler »

Well if you had the cut down surfboard wings, then technically they were training wheels ;)
rseydler
Yachtmaster

Post by rseydler »

Stole this from SA ( https://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index ... nt=7549298 )

To pitchpole, the boat's KE has to be sufficient to hoist the CM vertical (or half the boat length). In flat water, a 50 footer can go 24 kts and be safe. Of course in 8 meter waves, it is much less than that at 14 kts.

In contrast, a Farrier 8.2 can only safely speed at 17 kts in flat water but won't be safe in waves of 4.1 meters if he goes more than 10 kts. Which could explain a lot of pitchpole events for Farriers/Corsairs.

These are Swags based on how a pole vaulter works and doesn't account for the elastic collision of the bow with the water and assumes all KE goes to height. Wave shape makes a difference so I also guessed that 35% of the height was already used going down the wave face so you are already closer to pitchpole. Boat designers don't seem to design a safe operating envelope so I decided to swag my own.

This is pretty neat, can you share the formulas?

After some algebraic manipulation it boils down to boat length in meters times gravity (9.8 m/secsq) and take sq root of the result. Change m/s to kts. Mass divided out so it is weight independent (which surprised me when I did it).

Return to “Trailable Trip Reports”