Anchoring behind surf zone

This is for any general chat and information. Posts on specific topics covered in other forums will be moved to keep all forums active and relevant. No political posts will be tolerated, and if you have had your fill of TSP then a political post is an easy way out the door"
Jon
Able Skipper

Anchoring behind surf zone

Post by Jon »

This summer I'm keen to try anchoring out behind the surf breaks then swimming in for a boogey board along some remote beaches in the NSW south coast.

Most of my of my previous anchoring has been in behind the GBR where swell isn't an issue (but I grew up with surf in SA). In preparation I have upgraded my anchor to an second hand oversize Sarca Excel, 10m chain and 100m of nylon rode. But if I bugger it up the boat goes in the surf and she's lost.

I'm assuming I pick a place with a rolling gentle swell as protected as possible and should expect a couple of hundred metres swim to get in the break?

Anybody do this regularly?
barnaclephill
Able Skipper

Re: Anchoring behind surf zone

Post by barnaclephill »

I've anchored on surf beaches about 3 times, with less than a metre of swell, in waters that were 16 and 19 metres deep. Same set-up: oversized SARCA anchor, 20m of 8mm chain and up to a hundred of rode.
2 years ago I had 4 hours to wait for high tide, but the swell was between 1 & 2m so I decided to tack back and forth for 4 hours instead. Instead of trying to lift at least 30kg of tackle against 2m swells.
Once your rode is hauled in as much as is physically feasible, the best idea it to motor against the set of the anchor, so that it comes out more or less vertically. You could motor into the waves a bit, pull in more rode & make it fast, then motor into the waves again until the anchor breaks out, then keep going toward deeper water, when you should be able to bring it all on board, because it is now vertical. It saves your back, using the motor. Swell action also breaks out an anchor, if the rode is more or less taut.

The problem is that the sea always has swells, and if you plan to boogey board, those same swells will give you a hernia as you haul in the anchor. You're pulling at least one or 2 tonne against the sea bed.
To save losing a nice and expensive anchor, tie a buoy to its crown, as if you were to pull it up backwards from that buoy and its rope.
resting in peace
Jon
Able Skipper

Post by Jon »

4 hours on the end of a taunt anchor line in a rolling swell is a an unpleasant outcome.

Thank you for all your points and I haven't got the greatest lower back so I might now start low and ease into it with kayak surfing off the boat as you use a lot smaller wave.
Furstin
Admiral

Post by Furstin »

Id choose something like Palmy where you can drop the pick on the south end in a SouEasterly set and be pretty much out of it, the kids can swim in very small swell or in the pool and you can dial in surf as you go north out of the lee of the headland.
Attachments
2021-10-18 09_38_38-Google Maps.png
colect149
Yachtmaster

Post by colect149 »

It was only the Whisundays but we anchored several times in exposed waters. Problem was the current would take charge of the keel and the wind would take charge of the hull, the result of about five beam on rolls, then about five bow on into the wind. Most unpleasant.
Boatless. Kia Sportage 2L FWD, Jayco 13 Sprite, 1967 MGB roadster, 1932 Austin 7 Box Saloon,
Previous:- TS500, Ultimate 18, Cole 23, Laser, Ultimate16, Farr6000, Hardy 18 Motor Sailor, Farr7500, Farr5000.
Jon
Able Skipper

Post by Jon »

Yes, I think sheltering behind a headland then walking across a spit is a much better option. If the weather allows it (there are currently strong wind warnings, will just linger in the Clyde River if this continues), I am planning to beat to Boulee this weekend. Hide in lee of Broulee Island , then walk across the spit to possibly best surf on NSW south coast.
Screenshot_20211020-085318_Boating.jpg
Castle 610
Yachtmaster

Post by Castle 610 »

I have always wanted to do that at Broulee. We have launched at Moruya a few times and sailed to Batey or Bermy (once).
Stephen
Castle 650 'Mad Mouse'
Sabre 1205 'Wasp'
Nacra 14sq 'Vamoose'
Even Keel
CompetentCrew

Post by Even Keel »

I look forward to the review.
Screenshot_20211020-161203.png
This is a top spot. Anchor Lobster Beach, surf Box Head
impulse
Able Skipper

Post by impulse »

Bloke on facebook just did it. :shock:
FB_IMG_1634708830901.jpg
Cheers Robin.

Robin & Terry.
Cavalier 9.75
bachus
Yachtmaster

Post by bachus »

impulse wrote: Oct 20th, '21, 16:48 Bloke on facebook just did it. :shock:
FB_IMG_1634708830901.jpg
The tender survived - yay!
Jim
Castle 650 #96. Mystic.
Towing with Ford Territory SZII TX AWD
barnaclephill
Able Skipper

Post by barnaclephill »

Something's missing from the bottom part of the cat.
resting in peace
Jon
Able Skipper

Out the Re: Anchoring behind surf zone

Post by Jon »

I was asked for a quick write up.

Well we surfed last weekend but not on a boogie board. Surfed south under kite, surfed N with a strong wind warning and 3m sea, once seeing 9.5kts under motor at half throttle, no sails. A bit rough and had the ultralong leg sailpro come out of the water three times, which it's never done before.

Sunshine, escaped Canberra dreariness and had a bit of excitement, it was excellent.

Return to “General”