Ripped mainsail

This is for any general chat and information. Posts on specific topics covered in other forums will be moved to keep all forums active and relevant. No political posts will be tolerated, and if you have had your fill of TSP then a political post is an easy way out the door"
Joséjones
CompetentCrew

Ripped mainsail

Post by Joséjones »

Yesterday was not a good sailing day :cry: . I went out for a sail and as the wind was picking up I decided to put in the first reef but as I was hauling the halyard back up the sail gave way at the cringle where the reefing tie goes. Maybe it was my superhuman strength that pulled the sail up too hard or maybe it was just ready to go but anyway now I need to get the sail fixed (if possible) or replaced with new or second hand.
3697084D-EF3A-4E41-ABB2-2111AEE97316.jpeg
38530881-25B3-45C3-AC93-A9B2702B1C57.jpeg
Can I have the group’s opinion on whether a good sailmaker could replace the torn panels and who you’d recommend or whether it is dead? If it’s dead, roughly what cost would I expect for a new main for my Sabre 22 ( foot: 3340mm, Luff: 7300mm, Leech 7800mm)? I would be open to buying a second hand main if any Sabre 22 owners have a spare they would part with.

Cheers,

Joe
barnaclephill
Able Skipper

Re: Ripped mainsail

Post by barnaclephill »

Joe, start by cleaning the sail in that area - give it a wash and dry it; use some detergent or soap to clean off any dust/grime/oils, etc.
Once it's dry you can apply sail cloth tape.
Something like this (but not necessarily this one): https://www.whitworths.com.au/apollo-pr ... 48mm-x-25m
There'll be some specifically suited for sails at about $10-15 a roll.
That will do for most applications. i.e. normal winds.
But then you might want to apply a larger patch with real sail cloth, and sew it (by domestic machine) with a zig-zag stitch. It will largely be the same as sewing a patch on your clothes - zigzag stitching, perhaps several parallel stitches, and layering of 2 sheets of sail cloth.
On my first sail I capsized. On my second sail I tore the dinghy mainsail in some trees. I've learned to sail and to sew since then.
resting in peace
impulse
Able Skipper

Post by impulse »

Interesting. Were you using the ties ?
The solution is largely financial. Patch for $20 or replace for $1500 or more. A $20 patch could quite easily last for years.
Assess the health of your sail cloth. If it's over 20 years old it is likely to be 'threadbare' or the stitching also frail.
Cheers Robin.

Robin & Terry.
Cavalier 9.75
Harb
Able Skipper

Post by Harb »

Joséjones wrote: Oct 10th, '21, 12:05
Can I have the group’s opinion on whether a good sailmaker could replace the torn panels and who you’d recommend or whether it is dead? If it’s dead, roughly what cost would I expect for a new main for my Sabre 22 ( foot: 3340mm, Luff: 7300mm, Leech 7800mm)? I would be open to buying a second hand main if any Sabre 22 owners have a spare they would part with.
Replacing the torn panels is a lot of work and by the look of the tear it looks like the cloth is weakened by years of UV exposure in which case you'd be wasting your money. Better off patching it with some stick-on cloth on both sides and then zigzag sew through them along the edge of the patch and also along both sides of the tear. Should outlast the rest of the sail.
For a new main you wouldn't get any change from 2k and that's for a basic cheapie with extra charges for full battens and reefing points.
Another option , specially if handy with a sewing machine , would be to look for a second hand Dacron main from a Diamond , Soling or whatever else people are racing in your area that is close enough or larger then your main and modify that. Most of them have plenty of life left in them but no longer suitable for racing.
pdandy
Admiral

Post by pdandy »

Joe, where are you based ?

Those measurements are very close to a noelex 25 main, I have an old NX cruising main that I retired because I was too lazy to swap between my race and cruising sails. Two reefing points, heavy duty dacron , peter green. It'd done 3 years of regular sailing ( cruising every 2 nd week +/- 2/3 races a year) . Still perfectly functional - it won the Sunday island race just before being retired, but it wasn't pointing as high as I liked for racing purposes.

If you're near the gippsland lakes you'd be welcome to take it for a test sail to see it it meets your needs , unfortunately it's too bulky to post. It might also be worth posting a wated to buy add on the noelex association website?

A good new main is around $1500 , you can save a few hundred by ordering from an international loft, but once you have experienced a sail built by an enthusiast to suit your boat it's hard to buy generic sails....
noelex 25 green velvet
Furstin
Admiral

Post by Furstin »

The reef eyelets are just to secure the sail to the sail, if it's loose footed or very loosely otherwise to avoid this.

I'd just sticky patch it.

Ypu could source a new replacement for about 800 landed, so don't throw too much after it.

Wanton
Yachtmaster

Post by Wanton »

pdandy wrote: Oct 10th, '21, 16:22 Joe, where are you based ?

Those measurements are very close to a noelex 25 main, I have an old NX cruising main that I retired because I was too lazy to swap between my race and cruising sails. Two reefing points, heavy duty dacron , peter green. It'd done 3 years of regular sailing ( cruising every 2 nd week +/- 2/3 races a year) . Still perfectly functional - it won the Sunday island race just before being retired, but it wasn't pointing as high as I liked for racing purposes.

If you're near the gippsland lakes you'd be welcome to take it for a test sail to see it it meets your needs , unfortunately it's too bulky to post. It might also be worth posting a wated to buy add on the noelex association website?

A good new main is around $1500 , you can save a few hundred by ordering from an international loft, but once you have experienced a sail built by an enthusiast to suit your boat it's hard to buy generic sails....
Paul, Joe's boat is a Sabre 22. My understanding is that the Sabre 22 Rig is the same as a Noelex 25. If so your old sail would fit Joe's boat perfectly.
Ed
Wanton C22/110
All I wanna do is sail
http://www.baysidetrailableyachtclub.com
Furstin
Admiral

Post by Furstin »

I don't think the sabre rig is as bendy as Noelex?
Joséjones
CompetentCrew

Post by Joséjones »

@pdandy, yes I believe that the Sabre rig is almost the same as the Noelex, I was told by Keeley marine that they use the same mast section and they’re the same height so there’s every chance your NX25 main would work. I’m in Melbourne so it might be a while before I can get away to the the lakes. How much would you want to part with your spare?

In the meantime, I think perhaps patching might have to do as I am trying to buy a house at the moment and there’s not a lot of spare lolly for new sails. :(
pdandy
Admiral

Post by pdandy »

Joe, where in Melbourne are you? You'd be welcome to use this one until you have the cash for something new - we Jyst need to get it to you.

Pm sent
noelex 25 green velvet
barnaclephill
Able Skipper

Post by barnaclephill »

Joey's in Thornbury
resting in peace
Castle 610
Yachtmaster

Post by Castle 610 »

Take the sail to Jamie Thompson sails in Bullen. Very reasonable.
Stephen
Castle 650 'Mad Mouse'
Sabre 1205 'Wasp'
Nacra 14sq 'Vamoose'
zebedee
Admiral

Post by zebedee »

It doesn't cost anything to ask a sailmaker what they suggest.
A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.
Joséjones
CompetentCrew

Post by Joséjones »

@Zebedee, I will see what Thompson sails can do for me as he has done some minor repairs for me before. I think the Dacron is pretty aged and it might not be worth repairing. I'm told that it is the original (1987) main from Lady Jane.
bull sails
Midshipman

Post by bull sails »

New main, 6oz dacron, 2 reefs, sail numbers.
$985 Plus GST delivered to you.

Return to “General”