Farr 6000 Lock Down Rope

This is for any general chat and information. Posts on specific topics covered in other forums will be moved to keep all forums active and relevant. No political posts will be tolerated, and if you have had your fill of TSP then a political post is an easy way out the door"
Mbreheny
Midshipman

Farr 6000 Lock Down Rope

Post by Mbreheny »

Hi,
I have a Farr 6000 and am having the keel machined and repainted at the moment. A few years ago the lock down rope frayed and kept jamming so I replaced it. I have had several people advise me to remove the lock down rope when I reinstall the keel as it is "just one more thing that can go wrong".
I am aware that it is a safety mechanism but would be grateful for any views on whether I should remove it or not.
Thanks
Martin
Kjman55
Midshipman

Re: Farr 6000 Lock Down Rope

Post by Kjman55 »

If you scrap it, is there an alternative way Farr 6000 owners have devised to lock down the keel?
"Most of my fortune I spent on liquor and women. The rest I squandered."
Furstin
Admiral

Post by Furstin »

Sounds like you need a good solution for not jamming the lockdown rope? What about a length of shockcord stitched to it so there's always a little tension on it?
duncanhayward
Able Skipper

Post by duncanhayward »

I owned a F6 for a number of years and wouldn't sail without the keel lockdown rope.

Its not too hard to replace - have a look at previous post here and here is a link to some old photos showing the keel rope setup https://goo.gl/photos/vdJ9jFQPmdk378636

The keel rope prevents the keel from moving too far forward. If the winch rope fails it can swing forward without control and damage the forward edge of the keel case.

I marked the red spectra in the photo above with a black sharpie/texta to show when to stop winding the keel down, when it was at the correct angle. The shock cord kept it all taught and out of the way. Under the deck there were are couple of ClamCleat (side entry) that locked the spectra rope in to prevent it moving left or right (probably over kill - in hindsight one would be sufficient).

Duncan
Noelex 25 #952
Quo Vadis
Wanton
Yachtmaster

Post by Wanton »

Is your keel a drop or swing keel. Is it mechanical or is it hydraulic? Perhaps a drawing of you setup may eliminate a lot of guessing of how to deal with this. I think it is important that you do not remove this important safety feature.
Ed
Wanton C22/110
All I wanna do is sail
http://www.baysidetrailableyachtclub.com
Tezza
Able Skipper

Post by Tezza »

Didn’t know you could get a drop keel farr6000
Sonata 6 Mango
Mbreheny
Midshipman

Post by Mbreheny »

Thank you everyone, your comments have been very helpful. I've decided to keep the lock down rope!
Wanton
Yachtmaster

Post by Wanton »

Tezza wrote: Jul 2nd, '21, 14:01 Didn’t know you could get a drop keel farr6000
I dont know either Tezza. I guess I was just after a bit more of an understanding of the issue on hand,

Ignorance, on my part, is often a blissful, euphoric condition for one like me.
Ed
Wanton C22/110
All I wanna do is sail
http://www.baysidetrailableyachtclub.com

Return to “General”