Moreton Bay in winter?

This is for any general chat and information. Posts on specific topics covered in other forums will be moved to keep all forums active and relevant. No political posts will be tolerated, and if you have had your fill of TSP then a political post is an easy way out the door"
juan
Inshore Skipper

Moreton Bay in winter?

Post by juan »

I am thinking about escaping the Canberra winter and heading north. Unfortunately, we only have a week + 2 weekends, 9-10 days total so getting all the way up to the Whitsundays is out of the question as it's 2.5 / 3 days driving each way.
I was thinking about spending a few days in Moreton Bay. I've seen some reccomendations around here already, but I have a couple of specific questions:

1- how cold can it get? I'm still in doubt about staying on board (and saving some money in accommodation).
2- Any suggestions for or against staying in the big Marina in Manly? We have some friends who live nearby that's why I think it's a good option. We want a base with proper toilets and showers.

thanks
Juan
Juan
Castle 650 #52. 🧉 mate
Tezza
Able Skipper

Re: Moreton Bay in winter?

Post by Tezza »

Juan,Juan,Juan ,Its Queensland your talking about .Beautiful one day perfect the next.
Which part of winter are you talking about. Notwithstanding the fact I live in the coldest part of Brisbane ( Western Burbs.)I am currently sitting out the front in shorts ,T and light jumper. Don't wear socks anymore.
Out of the wind you will cook until around 5 when the lights go out and it gets cold ,for me that is anything below 19c. It can get down to single figures some nights with cloudless skys so
sleeping onboard may be a bit chilly . July is about the same ,perhaps a little warmer with low to mid 20’s and August fantastic. Whale season has started and they do come into Moreton bay if your into that ,and who is not.
The Manly Marina comprises a few yacht clubs and marinas and as you are one of many doing the same thing, except Vics., I would start checking availability as a priority. Google Brisbane Marinas. I can’t comment on those marinas ,sorry.
Sonata 6 Mango
MartinDreaming
Able Skipper

Post by MartinDreaming »

juan wrote: Jun 15th, '21, 10:59 1- how cold can it get? I'm still in doubt about staying on board (and saving some money in accommodation).
When we were sailing the Hebridean Sea off Scotland, they'd say that there was no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing.

Seriously though, its about as cold as it gets right now, with min temps at about 9-10 degrees.
juan wrote: Jun 15th, '21, 10:59 2- Any suggestions for or against staying in the big Marina in Manly? We have some friends who live nearby that's why I think it's a good option. We want a base with proper toilets and showers.
There are actually three marinas in the "big marina". I'm with WMYC, which has proper toilets and showers. It has walking distance to local pubs and shops and a nice boat ramp. My berth is not noisy over weekend nights. You'll need to call to confirm rates, but I'd guess at about $100 per week for up to 8m. Make sure you get a sleep-aboard berth as many/most are not live-aboard berths.

I'm biased, but I think Manly makes a good base for exploring the rest of Moreton Bay. Allow 4-6 hours to get over to Moreton Island or Stradbroke Island.
Cavalier 28 "Bolero"
Previously Austral 20 Mark 2 "Yakumin", Sail Number 108
http://theboattinkerer.blogspot.com.au/
juan
Inshore Skipper

Post by juan »

thanks!
The trip would be soon, last week of June.
Thanks for the tip about the 3 marinas. I already have a no (full) from MWYC and a yes at $50 per day from East Coast Marina.
Juan
Castle 650 #52. 🧉 mate
impulse
Able Skipper

Post by impulse »

Even Tasmania is warmer than Canberra at the moment.
Cheers Robin.

Robin & Terry.
Spider 22 - Tool Time.
Furstin
Admiral

Post by Furstin »

What about Harvey Bay / Frazer?
JimboT
CompetentCrew

Post by JimboT »

Hi Jaun,
Sorry that I can't help with any marina knowledge but winter is absolutely prime sailing time on Moreton Bay, with clear water, typically awesome weather, great fishing and definitely not too cold to overnight.

I cannot remember the last day sail we did as we always stay out for at least a night or 2 (or week if I can get away from work) and we have never been truly cold. We have a 20 foot Boomerang which has a very small cabin but a generous cockpit, so we tend to spend our evenings outside fishing, sipping on a red, or just lounging around. Outside is typically chilly by our standards, but I usually get away with wearing shorts and a jacket or two plus a beanie/hoodie. On really cold or breezy nights, I sometimes get out the track pants, but that is pretty rare.

The cabin stays very pleasant for sleeping overnight as it has a natural heater from the water which never really gets much below 19 or 20 degrees.

The winter wind is pretty variable, with absolutely gorgeous glass-out days interspersed with 15 to 20 knot "bursts" that typically last a few days. The stronger wind is generally westerly or southerly resulting in great flat water sailing for the majority of the bay, particularly if you are based in Manly. Looking at the Seabreeze forecast for the coming week will give you an idea of pretty classic Brizzy winter weather with clear skies, temp 10 to 21 and glass-out followed by a few days of a good breeze.

Have Fun!
Cheers,
JimboT
juan
Inshore Skipper

Post by juan »

Furstin wrote: Jun 15th, '21, 19:25 What about Harvey Bay / Frazer?
yep, that's an option we are also considering
Juan
Castle 650 #52. 🧉 mate
juan
Inshore Skipper

Post by juan »

JimboT wrote: Jun 15th, '21, 23:05 Hi Jaun,
Sorry that I can't help with any marina knowledge but winter is absolutely prime sailing time on Moreton Bay, with clear water, typically awesome weather, great fishing and definitely not too cold to overnight.
thanks Jimbo
Juan
Castle 650 #52. 🧉 mate
Furstin
Admiral

Post by Furstin »

I've not sailed Morton but flown over it enough to be more Intrigued by Frazer.
10 days I'd put in at uragan.

Great trip, and whales arriving soon?
Tezza
Able Skipper

Post by Tezza »

Juan only has 5 days max. at destination.
Sonata 6 Mango
juan
Inshore Skipper

Post by juan »

Tezza wrote: Jun 16th, '21, 12:09 Juan only has 5 days max. at destination.
yes, but seriously considering about leaving my sailing holiday for the spring school holidays and spending two weeks up there not one.
I need to convince my wife. She's too eager to run away from freezing Canberra
Juan
Castle 650 #52. 🧉 mate
Tezza
Able Skipper

Post by Tezza »

Don’t disappoint the family now. Delay your sail holiday till Spring, nip up to GC ,stay at Broadbeach three or four days ,take family to theme parks ,go home and they will be forever in your debt😁
Sonata 6 Mango
Furstin
Admiral

Post by Furstin »

Did gss / harvey Bay in 2 weeks one Oct, great trip. We went tin can to harvey and back, but I'd find storage at uragan and take bus back to tcb if did again, or just launch at uragan and stay in harvey, kingfisher.
2 days at hotel for theme parks on the way?

That said your kids will still be talking about the whales long after some movie world crap is forgotten....

JimboT
CompetentCrew

Post by JimboT »

Hi Jaun,
Sounds like you need to do both! :)
Hervey Bay is also spectacular with opportunities for fantastic sailing, fishing, etc, etc, but adds about 4 hours driving each way, so I would definitely leave that for a longer holiday.
Early September is typically the sweet spot for weather in SE QLD with clear, warm weather and few storms. October is much warmer, but is also our wettest month with regular afternoon storms, so the earlier you get here, the less chance of wild weather. Both Moreton & Hervey Bays have a lot of protection so a storm or 2 shouldn't be a problem as long as you have a good anchor and can get to one of the many estuaries while it blows over.
I believe October is the end of the whale season, so if you are going to delay and travel up to Hervey Bay, this gives you another reason to get there as early in the holiday period as possible.
I am sure whichever way you go, it will be amazing, as there is simply no bad option!
Cheers,
JimboT
juan
Inshore Skipper

Post by juan »

thanks Jimbo
The spring school holidays in the ACT are the last 2 weeks of September. Sounds like a good option...
Juan
Castle 650 #52. 🧉 mate
guzzis3
Able Skipper

Post by guzzis3 »

FWIW

Queensland is miserable in summer. As said our winters are mild. A jumper or something is a wise standby as windy and wet days can be annoying. The water is warmer than the air.

I love both Moreton and Hervey bay. I would make my decision based on marina availability and cost. The club food is better at HB IMO.

September to March is too hot up here IMO.

There are a couple of marinas at sandgate. No idea about price and availability.

When I lived in Sydney one weekend I hopped on my ducati and rode to canberra for something to do. It was only when I arrived blue that I remembered it was july and that I am an idiot. I forget that I'm an idiot sometimes, but I'm soon reminded...
impulse
Able Skipper

Post by impulse »

I think Queensksnd is good for about 5 minutes at some random time at the beginning of winter, the rest of the time its unbearable.
And then there are the inhabitants. 😈
Cheers Robin.

Robin & Terry.
Spider 22 - Tool Time.
guzzis3
Able Skipper

Post by guzzis3 »

impulse wrote: Jun 17th, '21, 17:00 I think Queensksnd is good for about 5 minutes at some random time at the beginning of winter, the rest of the time its unbearable.
And then there are the inhabitants. 😈
You mis spelled "Melbourne"
impulse
Able Skipper

Post by impulse »

You can't say that, do you know how many Victorians there are here. :wink:
Cheers Robin.

Robin & Terry.
Spider 22 - Tool Time.
Tezza
Able Skipper

Post by Tezza »

I know ,I know ,Queenslanders believe the rest of Aust. is a different country , we have even insisted on border passes , nanny state and all that BUT after a hard sail this morning in brilliant sunshine ,10-12 kn. W nothing like a sit in the sun and a healthy lunch watching the boats come and go. How is South of the border today?
28AEDBFC-A6B1-44A6-AE1E-921EF4C92085.jpeg
Sonata 6 Mango
bachus
Yachtmaster

Post by bachus »

Grrr cold and wet . . . better tomorrow and Sunday - racing Sunday - light winds - Castle weather (now I have said that of course the mozz is on)
Jim
Castle 650 #96. Mystic.
Towing with Ford Territory SZII TX AWD
Furstin
Admiral

Post by Furstin »

Cold westerlys
Castle 610
Yachtmaster

Post by Castle 610 »

Recently on Port Phillip Bay

Stephen
Castle 650 'Mad Mouse'
Sabre 1205 'Wasp'
Nacra 14sq 'Vamoose'
Jon
Able Skipper

Post by Jon »

Juan,
I to have similar issues trying to encourage the family to compete with me each Sunday in the cold, windless, toxic blue green algae soup of LBG.

We have cruised Moreton Bay in the past from interstate and I think two weeks including travel is the minimum. We used Manly as a base and if you have time, motoring the Gold Coast seaway with a marina at the end for access to the kids theme parks is fun.

RQYS at Manly had pretty dirty and decrepid toilets and showers for liveaboards when we last stayed there 4yrs ago.

My partner and I are frustrated lovers of all things that are closer to the equator; nature, people and outlooks. Our Canberra strategy is to head to the pacific whenever possible. With the east Australian current it is significantly warmer than Canberra and the 5 degree rise and clear waters its enough in the short term to get our water fix while we save our leave for longer trips away.

Return to “General”