keel depth indicator

This is for any general chat and information. Posts on specific topics covered in other forums will be moved to keep all forums active and relevant. No political posts will be tolerated, and if you have had your fill of TSP then a political post is an easy way out the door"
southcoast52
Midshipman

keel depth indicator

Post by southcoast52 »

HI All . Is there a keel depth or indicator to show how much keel/centre board is in the down or up position ? If there is, can it be described to me where it is or how it works Thanks sc25
Hartley 27ft ferro , bollard steel 30ft star-fire , Manners 30ft trimaran , current south coast 25 . cars , Austin Healey 3000 , MG TD , Chrysler crossfire , Holden VY
Furstin
Admiral

Re: keel depth indicator

Post by Furstin »

Ive seen it on drop keels where they have a sight glass (tube) on front of keel case with a line and weight in it, line is attached to top of keel, through a block and into glass. Its then been marked at intervals indicating drop level.
I suppose the same could be done with a swing keel and elastic line at end of line.
Mat,
Hunter 310
Tezza
Able Skipper

Post by Tezza »

This was set up on my boat when I got her. I could see position of red flag attached to elastic from cockpit. Wire broke after many years and I did not bother to replace
0918ED30-8391-413E-84DA-275C56DA5F08.jpeg
83F596B6-6255-4BE5-AAA5-8EFF1BF0DCE8.jpeg
Sonata 6 Mango
Peter Yates
Admiral

Post by Peter Yates »

Unless your SC25 has been modified, it should have a dropkeel operated by a hydraulic ram. The centreboard slides up and down in the casing which has the table fixed to the top. If you release the hydraulic valve in the cockpit, the board slides down until it either gets to the fully down position or you shut off the valve and lock it in an intermediate position. To raise the board, pump it up using the handle in the cockpit. Both my SC25’s had the manual pump but many owners use electric pumps.
There is a mast section near the front of the keel case/table. There is a rod with a small marker on the top end, The bottom end is attached to the top of the board and slides up and down inside the mast section (the sail track if it was a real mast). So you can see from aft of the mast section exactly how far up the board is. Most people make marks on the mast section to show fully up or down etc. From memory the board only drops less than a metre from the fully up to fully down. I had a depth sounder with alarm on my last one. I set it at 1.8 metres and it always let me know before I grounded. The hydraulics are great but the ram is a pig to remove if it plays up.It
Peter Y
Currently - Investigator 563 "Tricksy", fishing kayaks.
Tow car - Ford Territory 2WD diesel.
———————————————————————————
Previously, Sparrow dinghy, Hartley TS16, South Coast 25 (twice), Dennis TS500, Evening Star 6.5, Myora 24, Heron, Seabird 3.2, Whitehall skiff, Spacesailer 20, 2 previous I563’s, Swanson Dart day-sailer, CAL14.
southcoast52
Midshipman

Post by southcoast52 »

Hi Peter , I Thought this maybe the case, mine has had the rod removed, thanks for that, On April the 26th I described the removal of the hydraulic ram under "hydraulic ram removal" I at first thought it to be a difficult job but it turned out to be a simple one albeit a time consuming exercise SC25
Hartley 27ft ferro , bollard steel 30ft star-fire , Manners 30ft trimaran , current south coast 25 . cars , Austin Healey 3000 , MG TD , Chrysler crossfire , Holden VY

Return to “General”