South Coast owners on here?

This is for any general chat and information. Posts on specific topics covered in other forums will be moved to keep all forums active and relevant. No political posts will be tolerated, and if you have had your fill of TSP then a political post is an easy way out the door"
Plasnart
CompetentCrew
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

South Coast owners on here?

Post by Plasnart » Mar 10th, '10, 19:48

Hi all,

As a new owner of a South Coast 25 I would be interested to hear from any other South Coast owners out there.

There doesn't seem to be an active South Coast association operating in Victoria (although a strong Magnum one) and it would be nice to converse with like-boated people.

I look forward to anyone with a South Coast 25 or a pecuniary interest in these yachts dropping me a line.

Cheers everyone,

Rohan.

Abracadabra
Midshipman

South Coast owner

Post by Abracadabra » Apr 2nd, '10, 23:02

Hi Rohan
I have an 1985 SC25. Bought it 2years ago in South Australia (still Here). Love it ,great boat. Sail it with my wife,great for two to handle Been across the gulfs ,on the coorong and Murray River. Haven't seen any others in SA.
Cheers Mal

Plasnart
CompetentCrew

Post by Plasnart » Apr 3rd, '10, 18:12

G'day Mal, good to hear from you mate. Yes they are terrific boats aren't they? I recently bought mine from my uncle who had it for 25 years. Have had to modify my side fence and gates just so I can get it down the side of the house, but finally got her home this afternoon!

I understand the majority are in NSW (they were built on the south coast of NSW, hence the name) but seem to be a few floating around Gippsland and Melbourne also. There used to be a South Coast Association in Victoria (two uncles of mine were involved) back in the '80s but it no longer exists.

Would love to pick your brains from time to time if that's OK with you Mal.

Thanks for the reply. Have been waiting a while for someone to answer my opening post!

Cheers, Rohan.

Abracadabra
Midshipman

Post by Abracadabra » Apr 5th, '10, 07:42

Hi Rohan,
Glad to here you got your boat home. What is your tow vehicle? Glad for you to send me queries & will try to answer. But you might have to wait for a couple of weeks as we are hitching our boat Abracadabra up as we speak , to go on atrip to Port Lincoln from Port Victoria across the bottom of Spencer Gulf. Fingers crossed!!, we tried this trip last year in Feb but had the winds against us , so hopefully April will bring calmer weather! Just finishing of a purposely built shed to store her in when we get back. Hope you get a sail in between times and we can compare notes later.
Cheers Mal

Plasnart
CompetentCrew

Post by Plasnart » Apr 5th, '10, 16:48

Well have a great trip Mal. I was in Whyalla a couple of months ago and thought the Spencer Gulf would be a fantastic place to explore.

My tow vehicle is a Nissan Patrol. It tows no problems but will need to invest in some level rides for longer trips even though it has heavy duty springs and shocks fitted.

Make sure you take some photos and post them up here mate. Would love to see the boat and scenery of the Gulf. Hopefully this thread can grow to include multiple South Coast owners' stories and photos.

Cheers, Rohan.

SambOz
CompetentCrew

Post by SambOz » Apr 5th, '10, 21:26

G'day fella's, a group is getting off the ground at the following and while I'm not an owner of a SC25 I would be interested in the right one.

Mr.&Mrs TonyT, owners of a very nice SC25 invited me to have a close up of their boat at Paynesville some weeks ago. (I liked what I saw :D )

Tony gave me the attached address for a SC25 group.

All the best.

http://au.groups.yahoo.com/group/SouthCoast25/

Plasnart
CompetentCrew

Post by Plasnart » Apr 6th, '10, 19:45

Thanks SambOz! Will definatley join Yahoo Groups so I can check it out.

Was the SC25 you looked at for sale? I saw one for sale on the web recently in Paynesville (not sure which website though). Similar to mine in that it has spent its entire life on a trailer, not a mooring which I think is a plus.

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll go and have a look at Yahoo Groups now.

Rohan.

SambOz
CompetentCrew

Post by SambOz » Apr 11th, '10, 14:17

G'day Plasnart, replied via users group. Regards S.

Peter Yates
Admiral

Post by Peter Yates » Jun 28th, '10, 20:53

Hi Folks,
I am picking up my "new" 27 year old SC25 tomorrow. I owned a new one in 1983 as part of the Marc Hall Marine hire fleet in Metung, but it was a bad investment and at that stage I couldn't afford to keep it. So I am finally going full circle after an intervening 6 smaller trailer sailers and trailable yachts.

My boat has never been anti-fouled and looks pretty good for its age. I plan to keep it at home while I sign-write and do any other jobs, then later in the year take it to Paynesville for mast up storage and use.

The boat was "Golly Gosh" but the old owner is keeping that name for his new Hunter 290. So I will be re-naming it "Saltpetre". My great grandfather, believe it or not was a windjammer captain and his surname was Salt. Not a bad title "Captain Salt". So I am adding my name and using the old spelling to come up with what should be a unique name.

Look forward to sharing SC25 experiences with you all. Mine will be exclusively on the Gippsland Lakes though at this stage.

Cheers

Peter
Peter Y

Investigator 563 "Tricksy"

Tow car - Ford Territory 2WD diesel.

Plasnart
CompetentCrew

Post by Plasnart » Jun 28th, '10, 22:11

G'day Peter, good to see another SC25 on the forum. I've had mine for about 6 months but unfortunately haven't been able to christen her yet as I'm saving up for a trailer overhaul. This should be done soon though so can't wait to get out on her.

Yours is about 4 years "newer" than mine but its also in pretty reasonable nick. I bought it off my Uncle who had it for 25 years so I know the history of it and have sailed on it numerous times in the past.

Would love to see pics of yours and any sailing stories you want to post up.

There's also a SC25 user group on Yahoo Groups. There's only a few members though so if you join up the more the merrier.

Cheers mate,

Rohan.

Peter Yates
Admiral

Post by Peter Yates » Aug 25th, '10, 22:45

Hi Guys, Rohan invited me to put up any sailing stories, so I will tell one against myself. Being from 1983 when I was a callow youth, I guess it is OK to relate now. I will try to be brief.
Coming back from Ocean Grange on the Gippsland Lakes to Metung to return my then SC25 Gandalf to the Marc Hall Marine jetty after doing a bit of owner usage of the yacht which was part of their charter fleet. Nice fresh easterly and by the time we got near Shaving Point, we thought we had sailing pretty well mastered.
So instead of dropping sails in Lake King and motoring around into Bancroft Bay to return the boat, we decided to sail around and do it all in front of the adoring crowds at the Metung Pub.
Furled the jib, started the trusty Volvo and turned into wind a few hundred metres from the pub. Dropped main and put Volvo into gear to motor home. Motor shuddered violently and stopped. Quick inspection revealed a jib sheet had blown overboard and entangled the prop. Having not enough time to get sails up again, dropped anchor to think about things. Restarted motor and found it was able to run slowly and roughly (shaft out of alignment etc), so decided we could limp into Chinamans Creek under power. Tried to raise anchor but discovered we had found the submarine cable off Metung. Cut anchor free. Limped into creek where we had to turn into wind and lumpy waves to drop bow line over a pole and then back up to jetty. Did that successfully but Nylex tender got stuck between stern and jetty and shoved rudder off its pintles into several metres of water.
Taught me never again to get above my station about having total command of any situation as it only takes one poor decision and away you go!
Ended up with a big bill from Marc Hall for diver to retrieve anchor and rudder and new engine bearers, shaft repairs, jib sheet etc. I think the Sunday afternoon patrons at the pub had a great time that day though!

I feel better now!
Peter Y

colect149
Yachtmaster

SC25

Post by colect149 » Aug 25th, '10, 23:32

Rohan about your tow vehicle the Nissan Patrol, I was lucky enough to get one that had "Poly Airs" fitted. saves mucking around with level rides. See new post in Trailers and towing.
Mal
Boatless. Kia Sportage 2L FWD, Jayco 13 Sprite, 1967 MGB roadster, 1932 Austin 7 Box Saloon,
Previous:- TS500, Ultimate 18, Cole 23, Laser, Ultimate16, Farr6000, Hardy 18 Motor Sailor, Farr7500, Farr5000.

Plasnart
CompetentCrew

Re: SC25

Post by Plasnart » Sep 6th, '10, 22:57

colect149 wrote:Rohan about your tow vehicle the Nissan Patrol, I was lucky enough to get one that had "Poly Airs" fitted. saves mucking around with level rides. See new post in Trailers and towing.
Mal
G'day Mal. I understand your fondness of the polyairs, however I am not so keen for one particular reason. The nissan Patrol has a known issue with cracking the rear shock towers when subject to prolonged heavy loads. I have therefore had the shock towers replaced with reinforced towers. The reason I'm not keen on polyairs is that it's my belief that they reduce the effectiveness of the springs and therefore transmit greater forces up to the shock towers. I suppose it's each to their own and I wouldn't like to preach on this subject, it's just my opinion that's all. I would personally prefer the level rides which transfer more load onto the front suspension and let the rears do their work as they were originally designed.

Cheers mate.

Banool bay
Midshipman

Re: south coast for sale Paynesville

Post by Banool bay » Feb 21st, '21, 18:31

Plasnart wrote:
Apr 6th, '10, 19:45

Was the SC25 you looked at for sale? I saw one for sale on the web recently in Paynesville (not sure which website though). Similar to mine in that it has spent its entire life on a trailer, not a mooring which I think is a plus.

Rohan.
Hi Rohan
I bought a south coast 25 in Paynesville about six months ago . It was a bit sad so both the boat and myself spent three weeks at Fresherville’s boat yard before she was relaunched . She is now at Boxes Creek and I Just love her and take her out nearly every week . I’ve been back to camp at Paynesville and beautiful Duck arm . At the moment Shes having electrical problems so won’t be out on the lake again until it’s all fixed . :(
There doesnt seem to be many South coast 25 ‘s about, so this forum is a great idea . I enjoy reading about other people’s boats and experiences .
Regards
Kate

Peter Yates
Admiral

Re: south coast for sale Paynesville

Post by Peter Yates » Feb 21st, '21, 22:25

Banool bay wrote:
Feb 21st, '21, 18:31
Plasnart wrote:
Apr 6th, '10, 19:45

Rohan.
Hi Rohan
I bought a south coast 25 in Paynesville about six months ago . It was a bit sad so both the boat and myself spent three weeks at Fresherville’s boat yard before she was relaunched . She is now at Boxes Creek and I Just love her and take her out nearly every week . I’ve been back to camp at Paynesville and beautiful Duck arm . At the moment Shes having electrical problems so won’t be out on the lake again until it’s all fixed . :(
There doesnt seem to be many South coast 25 ‘s about, so this forum is a great idea . I enjoy reading about other people’s boats and experiences .
Regards
Kate
Just wondering what the name of your SC25 is Kate? I had mine in mast up storage at Allawah for some time (until July 2015) and really enjoyed "SaltPeter". I also owned "Gandalf" in the Marc Hall charter fleet back in the early 80's. Great boats.
Peter Y

Banool bay
Midshipman

Re: South Coast owners on here?

Post by Banool bay » Feb 23rd, '21, 20:54

Hi Peter ,
It was previously named ‘The Observer’ and owned by a local in Nungurner . He never got to sail it so was in a bit of a state when I bought it . I’m now having trouble with the electricals hopefully once they are fixed I’ll be back out on the water ! It’s moored permanently at Boxes Creek , I don’t have a trailer for it . I would post a pic but don’t know how to !
Kate

Peter Yates
Admiral

Post by Peter Yates » Feb 23rd, '21, 21:10

Banool bay wrote:
Feb 23rd, '21, 20:54
Hi Peter ,
It was previously named ‘The Observer’ and owned by a local in Nungurner . He never got to sail it so was in a bit of a state when I bought it . I’m now having trouble with the electricals hopefully once they are fixed I’ll be back out on the water ! It’s moored permanently at Boxes Creek , I don’t have a trailer for it . I would post a pic but don’t know how to !
Kate
I don't know how to either Kate! :D
Peter Y

Banool bay
Midshipman

Post by Banool bay » Feb 24th, '21, 21:03

Aha ! I’ve done it !
You go to attachments and then can add a photo from there .
Here’s a photo of my SC25 . I’d like to see other people’s boats and also how they are fitted out inside .
Attachments
Banool Bay
Banool Bay

Peter Yates
Admiral

Post by Peter Yates » Feb 24th, '21, 21:42

Banool bay wrote:
Feb 24th, '21, 21:03
Aha ! I’ve done it !
You go to attachments and then can add a photo from there .
Here’s a photo of my SC25 . I’d like to see other people’s boats and also how they are fitted out inside .
PM sent.
Peter Y

Return to “General”