Nelson Bay / Port Stephens / Soldiers Point - recommendations please

This is for any general chat and information. Posts on specific topics covered in other forums will be moved to keep all forums active and relevant. No political posts will be tolerated, and if you have had your fill of TSP then a political post is an easy way out the door"
Furstin
Admiral

Re: Nelson Bay / Port Stephens / Soldiers Point - recommendations please

Post by Furstin » Dec 21st, '20, 15:08

Yes, we're on Northern Beaches and looks like we just lost Christmas and prognosis for a week on the boat is poor!

That said, the weather is allover the place: https://www.myweather2.com/City-Town/Au ... ecast.aspx

Even Keel
Midshipman
Has thanked: 0

Post by Even Keel » Dec 21st, '20, 18:21

Quite a few opportunities to sail up from pittwater in there. If we are allowed out of our bubble that is.

juan
Inshore Skipper

Post by juan » Jan 14th, '21, 12:04

Well, we ended up going to Nelson Bay. Stayed in the Soldiers Point Marina. It's expensive, as discussed here, but at least they offer a nice lounge with complimentary drinks including wine, beers and Nespresso.

Not much sailing really, and the one incident was being stung by a stingray in Jimmy's beach. It was low tide and we anchored ~50 meters from the beach, I think I stepped on the stingray and stung me. Very very painful and I learned that the best treatment is putting the affected area in hot water. But 3 weeks on and still swollen. Lucky it was me and not one of the kids.
Juan
Castle 650 #52. 🧉 mate

Even Keel
Midshipman

Post by Even Keel » Jan 16th, '21, 12:28

Sorry to hear about the stingray wound Juan. From what I've heard, clean wounds heal pretty quickly. If there is a bit of barb still in there it can take many months to heal. If you think there's something still in there, get it cut out. For next time double shuffle - kick the foot forward before putting it down to scare them away. Thay are very hard to see when half covered in sand.

Return to “General”