Gecko fridge

This is for any general chat and information. Posts on specific topics covered in other forums will be moved to keep all forums active and relevant. No political posts will be tolerated, and if you have had your fill of TSP then a political post is an easy way out the door"
Furstin
Yachtmaster

Gecko fridge

Post by Furstin » Feb 6th, '20, 15:14

Anyone know anything about these fridges? I can't seem to find confirmation on compressor brand.

https://www.catch.com.au/product/gecko- ... eREALw_wcB

bachus
Yachtmaster

Re: Gecko fridge

Post by bachus » Feb 6th, '20, 18:38

Similar pricing at Jaycar for similar size fridge. If it goes wrong take it back to the store. Mucho better.
Jim
Castle 650 #96. Mystic.
Tow hack: Ford Territory TX SZ MkII Auto AWD

Harb
Able Skipper

Post by Harb » Feb 7th, '20, 12:34

Kogan mentions the compressor as being German technology in their ads so I'd say it would be a Chinese made Secop.

Furstin
Yachtmaster

Post by Furstin » Feb 7th, '20, 13:08

Yes, they seem to be the old story of multibrand same factory - just wondering if they are crap or not, or which are the least crap.

This stuff is getting pretty cheap, ive bought 2x100watt flexible solar panels and dual battery regulator for $160 new on ebay.

Pand JR away
CompetentCrew
Has thanked: 0

Post by Pand JR away » Feb 7th, '20, 17:09

In terms of the Gecko;
  • It seems very well priced
    Reads like it is Secomp compressor
    Size is good maybe to big?
    No mention of insulating cover
    I don't know how warranty's work with Catch.com probably better to buy from direct from Kogan who does coincidentally have one of the more infamous warranty settling records.

Other thoughts you may have already covered.

For a range of reasons many just co-incidental we own quite a few dc compressor fridges with about 1/2 the number being second hand. Mostly Waeco's (50l and 210l) but we have a Kings (70l), an Evercool 22L and a very old Engel 90L. Interestingly the Kings seems to draw less current than other similar designs but not enough for us to changeover the Waeco's. I have heard from a number of people that the new Waecos (CFX)are more efficient than the older ones (CF). The CFX's dont use Danfos / Secomp compressors

Not surprisingly the location and the surrounding temperatures of the fridge has a lot to do with its power consumption. Similar power variations apply depending upon the mass stored in the fridge and the degree of cold chosen.

All of our box refrigerators have external covers and some have ones that we have added additional insulation or reflective coverings to. If I was buying new I wouldn't buy one that didn't come with an insulating cover as they improve function and are a bugger to make yourself.

Our most recent purchase was a the small Evercool which we purchased for 3 jobs.
Firstly to go on the back seat (footprint and shape) of our older extra cab ute as a fridge (-2 deg) (50/50 food and drinks)
Secondly to go in the trayback camper as a supplementary freezer ( -14+ deg) to the 50L Waeco fridger/freezer and
Lastly as the primary fridge in the Siren (-6deg) mainly due to size, shape and user access.

We have had 2 fridges repaired and probably wouldn't do that again as the expense is usually substantial, another fault seems appear relatively quickly and the machines had already provided a long service life.

We have reached the following conclusions that have guided our recent purchases
  • If the fridge reaches its warranty period it will probably last a lot longer.
    If it doesn't reach its warranty period then you want to be confident you are able to to easily return /replace / refund and be not be required to have it fixed.
    In the modern day market brands don't mean as much as they used to but componentry is a good indicator
    All rounders are uncommon and a couple of complimentary and maybe cheaper machines may prove to be more useful over time and span of application.
    Have more power available than you think you will need
    Be thoughtful when you plan your system for packing and the fridge and its real use requirements. Ice for a couple of afternoon G&T's is a high demand and can really disrupt your food storage or battery storage expectations.
    Be prepared to manage the fridge daily ie turn it off at bed time or change its temp setting or compressor speed to reflect changing conditions.
J
Pam and John
Sunshine Coast QLD

Pand JR away
CompetentCrew

Post by Pand JR away » Mar 14th, '20, 16:39

I have just seen this refrigerator advertised. It seems like a good price if you want this sized unit.
https://www.australiandirect.com.au/buy ... e/KAF-13CF

It is only small but it is compressor driven and is well able to keep goods and ice below freezing. It could make a great dedicated freezer in conjunction with a larger unit used for +3degree storage. It could also be good for a small boat for a few days. It would be easy to relocate from home to the car to the boat fully loaded with chilled goods.
Last edited by zebedee on Mar 14th, '20, 19:11, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed all the tracking guff from the url - zeb
Pam and John
Sunshine Coast QLD

Furstin
Yachtmaster

Post by Furstin » Oct 17th, '20, 20:57

In interests of full circle. We bought this iceco jp50 fridge.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/392977920005

It was $370 delivered, main choice reason was reviews online, and 5 year warranty on compressor.
Initial tests are quite good, although insulation is probably not best, I plan to have alot of power generation.

There are some on eBay selling for $330 if interested.

Mat.

Sent from my SM-A705YN using Tapatalk

zebedee
Admiral

Post by zebedee » Oct 17th, '20, 23:28

I bought a near new Waeco CF18 (1/3 the size of your new fridge) for $320 in 2006 when they were $660 new, and I thought I did really well. They're STILL $530-$660 now. The choice of fridges has moved beyond Waeco and Engel and prices of alternatives like yours are better than half those of the big two now.
A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.

Furstin
Yachtmaster

Post by Furstin » Oct 18th, '20, 07:47

370 was pretty good with a cover, it's definitely best warranty for buck.
330 is a bargain.

I thought 370 would be best price, grrr :)

impulse
Able Skipper

Post by impulse » Oct 18th, '20, 08:32

Evakool via https://www.mygenerator.com.au/ have specials from time to time. I picked up a 60L for a reasonable price, not as good as your covid specials though. 8)
Cheers Robin.

Robin & Terry.
Spider 22 - Tool Time.

Furstin
Yachtmaster

Post by Furstin » Oct 18th, '20, 08:53

If I was going to spend decent fridge money I'd have bought the engel icebox conversion kit for 800.
I may yet regret it!
On the other hand we can have this at home, get it cold with all food in it and take to boat.
Again, it goes to how often we use the boat, and this is happy medium.

impulse
Able Skipper

Post by impulse » Oct 18th, '20, 09:30

I'm still waiting to hear if anyone, even on the 'top of the range' 12V fridges, has successfully maintained a rated temperature of minus 22 degrees.
Even when empty. :lol:
Cheers Robin.

Robin & Terry.
Spider 22 - Tool Time.

Furstin
Yachtmaster

Post by Furstin » Oct 18th, '20, 09:47

Thermometer in box, set to -22, let's see

Furstin
Yachtmaster

Post by Furstin » Oct 18th, '20, 11:53

Set to -22, old school thermometer said -15 after 1 carport footing :)

zebedee
Admiral

Post by zebedee » Oct 18th, '20, 13:43

impulse wrote:
Oct 18th, '20, 09:30
I'm still waiting to hear if anyone, even on the 'top of the range' 12V fridges, has successfully maintained a rated temperature of minus 22 degrees.
Way back when I bought it in 2006 I trialed my CF18 and got -18deg, and it will certainly happily freeze stuff.
A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.

MoodyBlue
Administrator

Post by MoodyBlue » Oct 18th, '20, 19:56

impulse wrote:
Oct 18th, '20, 09:30
I am an Engel fan. I have three Engels of various sizes from our 20 year old 29 litre to a few sizes up and they all do -18 with ease. Never tried -22 though.
"There is no perfect boat. There are only those shaded to your preferences.":-)

Polizei
CompetentCrew

Post by Polizei » Oct 19th, '20, 00:53

I have been thinking of getting the XTM unit from BCF which I believe is their home brand.

https://www.bcf.com.au/p/xtm40-fridge-f ... 20#start=1

Great reviews. Would be enough for a few days on boat for me and not too heavy to lift on and off

Anyone bought one?

Wanton
Yachtmaster

Post by Wanton » Oct 19th, '20, 08:57

MoodyBlue wrote:
Oct 18th, '20, 19:56

I am an Engel fan. I have three Engels of various sizes from our 20 year old 29 litre to a few sizes up and they all do -18 with ease. Never tried -22 though.
If you hear someone telling you that they have had a product for 20 years and its still working, you really have to consider if a 5 year warranty is really all that good. It seems to me the best product recommendation is one that says, "Mine is still working after 20 year." I guess from my experience with buying stuff, if I get 5 years from my Aldi fridge I'd probably be lucky, but happy. But next time I'll get an Engel. I only hear good things, from different people, about the Engel fridges. They may be more pricey, but in the end a lot less pricey than buying 3 or 4 cheaper ones.
Ed
Wanton C22/110
All I wanna do is sail
http://www.baysidetrailableyachtclub.com

impulse
Able Skipper

Post by impulse » Oct 19th, '20, 09:11

That's my philosophy, and I'm still paying for it. :cry:
Cheers Robin.

Robin & Terry.
Spider 22 - Tool Time.