Anchor chain

This is for any general chat and information. Posts on specific topics covered in other forums will be moved to keep all forums active and relevant. No political posts will be tolerated, and if you have had your fill of TSP then a political post is an easy way out the door"
zebedee
Admiral

Re: Anchor chain

Post by zebedee » Sep 16th, '20, 18:02

neilmac wrote:
Sep 16th, '20, 16:53
Just wondering from experience what the average depth most TS anchor at . I'm thinking for Port Phillip you would most likely be 3-4 metres. Port Arlington seems to be 2.5m to 3m. Port Melbourne 3m, Beaumais Bay 3.5m. what about the Lakes, Pittwater, Whitsundays.
Gippsland, very rarely anchor other than backed onto a beach somewhere like Duck Arm, where the bottom slopes away about the same angle as the anchor line!
A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.

Furstin
Yachtmaster

Post by Furstin » Sep 16th, '20, 19:34

neilmac wrote:Another question. Do you guys use snubbers. Most Cruisers recommend 10 metre minimum
I had a plumbers rubber ring with a clip sewn to it with webbing when on chain, which is quite often on a ts. Stopped snub and grind noise on roller.

Pittwater around Cowan is al.ost always 10m for a keel boat. Stern too a beach is usually 5. As they drop off a bit.

Sent from my SM-A705YN using Tapatalk

Tinggu
Able Skipper

Post by Tinggu » Sep 16th, '20, 20:43

Could use our MastMate (bungy version)
Anyone tried this?
SC23/Northwind 7 "Isabella Jane"
Discovery 2TD5
and a tinny

bachus
Yachtmaster

Post by bachus » Sep 16th, '20, 21:06

Tinggu wrote:
Sep 16th, '20, 20:43
Anyone tried this?
Not I but neat idea.
Jim
Castle 650 #96. Mystic.
Tow hack: Ford Territory TX SZ MkII Auto AWD

impulse
Able Skipper

Post by impulse » Sep 16th, '20, 21:08

Expensive snubber.
Cheers Robin.

Robin & Terry.
Spider 22 - Tool Time.

bachus
Yachtmaster

Post by bachus » Sep 16th, '20, 21:24

impulse wrote:
Sep 16th, '20, 21:08
Expensive snubber.
Not if you already have one to help raise the mast.
Jim
Castle 650 #96. Mystic.
Tow hack: Ford Territory TX SZ MkII Auto AWD

Swanny
CompetentCrew

Post by Swanny » Sep 16th, '20, 22:22

Tinggu wrote:
Sep 16th, '20, 20:43
Anyone tried this?
I have the MastMate, but I couldn't embed the YouTube link in the way I'm used to. I'll try it now... Yep it works! (off to edit my post in my Sabre thread!)

Tinggu
Able Skipper

Post by Tinggu » Sep 17th, '20, 06:30

Agreed that it is an expensive bit of kit for a simple job but if it's not going to come to harm I'd give it a go.
SC23/Northwind 7 "Isabella Jane"
Discovery 2TD5
and a tinny

MoodyBlue
Administrator

Post by MoodyBlue » Sep 17th, '20, 07:02

Tinggu wrote:
Sep 17th, '20, 06:30
Agreed that it is an expensive bit of kit for a simple job but if it's not going to come to harm I'd give it a go.
But it is made by a local bloke as a hobby, not some giant consortium..............
"There is no perfect boat. There are only those shaded to your preferences.":-)

neilmac
CompetentCrew

Post by neilmac » Sep 17th, '20, 09:48

I do have a mastmate bungee and that will form part of my snubber setup. Re. anchorage depth, the reason I ask is that I have never anchored my boat. When last down at the Lakes I went stern in to the beach and last xmas when I did a lap of the Bay I stayed in marinas or on a swing mooring.However I'm hoping to head North next winter to the Whitsundays where I expect anchoring will be on the cards. So, this summer I intend to do some anchoring around the bay and get some practise in.

I'm also looking at upgrading my anchor and chain etc. I have looked at lots of older threads on TSP and read lots elsewhere and it seems to me that a 6kg Sarca and 20m of 6mm chain plus lots of 3 strand rope will suit my needs (Want light as possible). However I have read that you should have all chain rode up North because of the chance of coral cutting through rope so I'm wondering if 20m of chain is enough hence the question about typical anchorage depths particularly for the whitsundays. In the Bay I reckon 2.5 to 4m would be about right.
Neil M
Farr 7500 SX301

Johny
Inshore Skipper

Post by Johny » Sep 17th, '20, 10:46

Hi Neil. Re the Whitsundays. Out of six days on the water (cut short from the intended 12 by strong wind) we only anchored twice due to the proliferation of mooring balls now available there. We anchored once for lunch at Cid island in about 5 meters and once overnight in Nara inlet in about 3 meters. At Nara we spent a few minutes following the 8 meters of chain and a few meters of nylon rode as it wound around rocks when we pulled it up. Nara is very quiet wind wise and anchoring there is not difficult. The Govt have put in lots of extra moorings in the past few years so anchoring is not as common as it used to be.
Jarcat 6, Kismet. 6M Catamaran. 9.8HP 2 Stroke Tohatsu.
Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV tow car.
AVAN Cruiseliner land yacht.
https://jarcat6.blogspot.com.au/

neilmac
CompetentCrew

Post by neilmac » Sep 17th, '20, 10:49

Thanks Johny, that's good info.
Neil M
Farr 7500 SX301

duncanhayward
Able Skipper

Post by duncanhayward » Sep 17th, '20, 16:13

neilmac wrote:
Sep 16th, '20, 16:53
Just wondering from experience what the average depth most TS anchor at . . . Pittwater, Whitsundays.
When we did the Hawkesbury River we were surprised at the depth in some places, especially on the outer bends 16-22m. 5 - 10 metres has been our experience around Pittwater. Whitsundays was 1 - 12 metres. For our cruising trip to Whitsundays in 2017, not knowing what to expect we had 9 metres of 8 mm chain, 10 metres of 6 mm chain and then 50 metres of 12mm nylon rope. In two of the deeper anchorages I would have been happier with a bit more chain, not for weight, but because of the presence of coral and concerns that we might chafe the nylon rode. We joined lengths with shackles that were cable tied - easier on the hands than wire if we weren't paying attention. For a snubber we used a 2m length of 16mm nylon rope with a hard eye spliced in the end - this shackled to the chain and eased out and tied off to a cleat. Not so much for shock loading but keeping the noise/vibration coming up a taught chain when it moved along a rocky/shell bottom. For trips to Gippsland only used the 8mm x 9m and rope. Cruising anchor is 6kg ROCNA.
Duncan
Noelex 25 #952
Quo Vadis

zebedee
Admiral

Post by zebedee » Sep 17th, '20, 16:25

neilmac wrote:
Sep 17th, '20, 09:48
I'm also looking at upgrading my anchor ... a 6kg Sarca.
It just happens that I have (in Melbourne) a 6kg #2 Super Sarca anchor which I don't use. Freshly galvanised, briefly dipped in Sydney Harbour, and then used to decorate the space behind the garage for several years. If you still want one when we can actually move around and go sailing, contact me.
A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.

neilmac
CompetentCrew

Post by neilmac » Sep 17th, '20, 16:26

Hi Duncan. So if you were doing both Pittwater and Whitsundays again what length of chain would you like to have?
Neil M
Farr 7500 SX301

Rcracing2
Midshipman

Post by Rcracing2 » Sep 17th, '20, 19:18

On my sonata 26 i have a 7.5kg Bruce anchor attached to 10m of 8mm chain and around 60m of rope as my primary anchor. My stern anchor is a 5kg Bruce with about 6-7m of 8mm chain and about 30m of rope.
When we anchor around the islands up here (North Queensland) we just work out what the low tide will be plus what we draw and add about say half a metre for a bit of tolerance. I only anchor in sand/mud and well clear of coral bombies( if possible). We did 3 months cruising from the Keppel island's to Cape Upstart earlier this year and never had an issue even in some pretty ordinary conditions.
We were using just the 5kg Bruce for about a year but had to get the larger one to comply with AS racing rules.
The best thing i did after plenty of research was to lower a weight (i used or second anchor) down the anchor line after i was happy it was set. This pulls the anchor line vertically down from the boat and it does 2 things. #1 is provides a 'spring' effect and reduces shock loading on the anchor. #2 and this was a massive benefit, because the line pulls vertically off the bow, the boat swings around this point instead of swinging all around the place on the full length of rode paid out. Great benefit when anchored in close to islands where puffs come from multiple directions.

duncanhayward
Able Skipper

Post by duncanhayward » Sep 17th, '20, 20:17

neilmac wrote:
Sep 17th, '20, 16:26
Hi Duncan. So if you were doing both Pittwater and Whitsundays again what length of chain would you like to have?
Really happy with 6kg ROCNA.
Pittwater - happy with 10m x 6mm chain and the 50m x 12mm nylon rope.
Whitsundays - pretty happy with what I had! If I hadn't already had the chain and joined it I would have bought 25m x 6mm plus 50m of 12mm rope. We never had an issue with our combination, except for getting it up one time in Plantation Bay.

The nylon rope was something similar to this https://www.arnoldsboatshop.com.au/prod ... nchor-rope - easy on the hands and a good load rating.

For racing we run a light weight anchor, 5m x 6mm chain and the 50 x 12mm rope. In a bag, sitting next to the keel case.
Duncan
Noelex 25 #952
Quo Vadis

Return to “General”