Centipede sail lash ,anyone tried

Discussion on how to make that Trailer Sailer go faster & more comfortable
Tezza
Able Skipper

Centipede sail lash ,anyone tried

Post by Tezza »

Got myself in a bit of a mess out sailing Wed. Having a great sail on a reach with full sail and genoa. When It was time to turn around I dropped the genoa as winds were gusting to 17kn on the wind gauge and sailed with main alone playing the mainsheet in the gusts. I started the OB in idle as a precaution.
Getting near to turning where I would be head to wind ,as normal , I bought on the topping lift and on going head to wind lashed the tiller straight ,put the motor into gear and let go the halyard.
The main is too light to drop all the way so I went up to the boom ,pulled the sail down and proceeded to tie the sail to the boom. I was fiddling trying to get the first sail tie ( balls at each end) when the wind gusted ,catching the sail , turning the boat side on with the sail ballooned out even though pulled down. Being in a narrow part of the broadwater I had to jump back into the cockpit to bring the boat back head to wind then repeat , twice .
I have been thinking about lazy jacks but as the sail will not drop all the way I will still have to go up and pull down . I have seen on google the centipede sail lash which would ,for me , negate the need to throw a couple of sail lashes around the neck and then try and take off when up whilst holding the sail to the boom. Has anyone had any experience with one.
Sonata 6 Mango
bachus
Yachtmaster

Re: Centipede sail lash ,anyone tried

Post by bachus »

Not tried but the concept is intriguing. I do hate bungee cords though with lumps (boggles) at the end. Very dangerous to the eyes. I would rather a 20mm webbing strap from gooseneck to boom end with more 20mm webbing sewn to this and either
  • velcro at each end - size adjusted so longer as the gooseneck is approached. Then when main dropped the loose ties lifted and velcro’d together or
    Standard sail loop one end of each strap and the free end looped though and a half hitch used to secure the main.
I like the latter option - easier to make and much more adjustable and basically all the sail ties normally thrown to the cockpit sole or cabin sole are now always “at hand”
Jim
Castle 650 #96. Mystic.
Towing with Ford Territory SZII TX AWD
impulse
Able Skipper

Post by impulse »

Those bungy cords with the balls are horrible things, the first thing I bin if they are on a boat I buy. Once you get one in the eye you will never see it coming again.
Have you considered a down haul on the main to pull the luff down from the cockpit. Nonetheless, once you install lazy jacks you will probably wonder why it took you so long to do it.
I like these little dooby whackies -https://www.whitworths.com.au/shock-tie. Just make sure you have a long enough tail so you can pass it through the olive before you stretch it too much.
Cheers Robin.

Robin & Terry.
Cavalier 9.75
davem
Inshore Skipper

Post by davem »

impulse wrote: Apr 21st, '22, 19:19 I like these little dooby whackies -https://www.whitworths.com.au/shock-tie.
These are great. Dont buy the blue 4-pack ones, they are ordinary. Just in case you miss the obvious, you dont need to use a full length of shock cord. Depending on the application, I often use them tied to a length of cord. ie. dooby whackie - say 8" of shock cord tied to 500mm of cord. Still gives you some stretch with almost no eye danger. Bunnings sell 4mm(?) starter cord which works great - its tough and seems to work best.
Peridot
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Post by Peridot »

Not sure why your sail won’t drop, I use Dry-glide in the track to lubricate the slides. Drops OK if head to wind. I assume you have slides (slugs). If it is a bolt-rope you have a problem. Something that would help a lot, especially in the Broadwater, is a Tiller -pilot. I would not be without mine now, not so much for sailing, but deck-work or motoring. Magic, well worth the money.
Peter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
All that really belongs to us is time,
even he who has nothing else has that. (Balthasar Gracian)

Peter

"Peridòt", 6.0m Jim Young, and 05 Jeep Renegade Cherokee
Tezza
Able Skipper

Post by Tezza »

Some very practical suggestions thanks . It will be a blessing to chuck those two ball bungees .
I use a downhaul for the headsail with great effect but am unsure about using one on the main . I will still have to go up to tie down the sail. I will try above before going the lazy jack way. Thanks
Sonata 6 Mango
Peridot
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Post by Peridot »

It took me a long time to learn this. Don’t coil your halyard, flake it into a bag so it comes out easily, no tangles. Much better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
All that really belongs to us is time,
even he who has nothing else has that. (Balthasar Gracian)

Peter

"Peridòt", 6.0m Jim Young, and 05 Jeep Renegade Cherokee
impulse
Able Skipper

Post by impulse »

I am intrigued that sailors coil ropes and then suffer the consequences of tangles if you don't basically de-coil before use.
Climbers and tree loppers flake ropes where each twist of the rope is followed by a twist in the opposite direction, that way they don't tangle when they unwind.
Cheers Robin.

Robin & Terry.
Cavalier 9.75
Tezza
Able Skipper

Post by Tezza »

A oicture is worth etc.etc.
I did not mention above that during my circus explained above my daughter passed me going the other way. She has just sent me a photo of when I had just bought the boat back around to have anther go at securing the main. It does not look it but it was dammed windy
F33E2D44-4305-4BCF-A103-BD5842D93E38.jpeg
Sonata 6 Mango
impulse
Able Skipper

Post by impulse »

Two words.
Lazy jacks.
8)
Cheers Robin.

Robin & Terry.
Cavalier 9.75
Peter Yates
Admiral

Post by Peter Yates »

impulse wrote: Apr 21st, '22, 19:19 Those bungy cords with the balls are horrible things, the first thing I bin if they are on a boat I buy. Once you get one in the eye you will never see it coming again.
Have you considered a down haul on the main to pull the luff down from the cockpit. Nonetheless, once you install lazy jacks you will probably wonder why it took you so long to do it.
I like these little dooby whackies -https://www.whitworths.com.au/shock-tie. Just make sure you have a long enough tail so you can pass it through the olive before you stretch it too much.
Yes Tyga Ties are great. I have them through the eyelets on my main, just to tidy up when a reef or two in place. But looses Tyga Ties are also great for tidying up the main when fully down on the boom. Would not be without them.
Peter Y
Currently - Investigator 563 "Tricksy", fishing kayaks.
Tow car - Ford Territory 2WD diesel.
———————————————————————————
Previously, Sparrow dinghy, Hartley TS16, South Coast 25 (twice), Dennis TS500, Evening Star 6.5, Myora 24, Heron, Seabird 3.2, Whitehall skiff, Spacesailer 20, 2 previous I563’s, Swanson Dart day-sailer, CAL14.
guzzis3
Able Skipper

Post by guzzis3 »

I was told years ago that type of coiling was called in-out. I always wrap everything that way, power cords, everything.

I see I was beaten to the suggestion of a downhaul. Several boats I have owned have had reluctant mainsails. A downhaul sorts it nicely. You could even go a step further and have a continuious halyard. If you go that way it's needs some thought. Properly designed they are good, get it wrong they are a dangerous nightmare.

You need to think carefully before incorporating an elastic bola in your inventory. A strip of elastic with velcro ends would be safer and more idiotproof in unhappy circumstances.

FWIW whenever I'm considering a set up for anything (sailing, towing etc) I always ponder the worst situation I can imagine and design for that. Anything can work on a perfect day, it's when that 4' waves, gusting 30 knots, pouring rain at dusk that it all goes pear shaped.

Maybe I'm a pessimist :D
bachus
Yachtmaster

Post by bachus »

Hold the rope in the left hand palm with the left thumb facing to the LEFT. Grasp the rope to be coiled in the right hand and pass to the left NOT allowing the rope to rotate in the right hand. The result will be a figure 8 loop of rope hanging from the left hand. Repeat.

This rope - coiled like this - will uncoil without twisting - such twisting causing knots and such.

This only work on a rope that is not twisted to begin with. To remove the twist troll the rope off the stern in a moving boat then coil it back on board as above. The trolling will remove any existing twist.

This also works well with a garden hose ;-) (update not the over the stern bit lol)
Jim
Castle 650 #96. Mystic.
Towing with Ford Territory SZII TX AWD

Return to “Performance & Modifications”