Remove wheel studs with hub on the trailer or off?

Share information on trailers and towing hacks issues
bachus
Yachtmaster

Remove wheel studs with hub on the trailer or off?

Post by bachus »

re the subject line.
With some luck the old studs will bash out with a hammer with the hub in place but I am concerned about damage to the bearings in doing so.
ie is it better to remove the hub from the trailer and then work on it?

ps yes I suspect I have an overtightened stud due to torquing up to spec but with lubricant in place - naughty me - 70% depreciation of the torque spec should have been applied - so planning on replacing the lot.
MoodyBlue
Administrator

Re: Remove wheel studs with hub on the trailer or off?

Post by MoodyBlue »

Take the hubs OFF. Bashing with a hammer while in situ will more than likely crack an out race.

I have a suitable press if you want, but it means a drive to Romsey.
"There is no perfect boat. There are only those shaded to your preferences.":-)
bachus
Yachtmaster

Post by bachus »

MoodyBlue wrote: Jun 5th, '22, 21:03 Take the hubs OFF. Bashing with a hammer while in situ will more than likely crack an out race.

I have a suitable press if you want, but it means a drive to Romsey.
Re press thankyou for the kind offer.I too have a hydraulic press. Logistics an issue but not impossible ie trailer is at Wyndham harbour.
zebedee
Admiral

Post by zebedee »

Yep, it is good practice to remove the hub before you go hammering on studs. You'll probably get away with it if you don't, but it could be quite a few miles down the road and far from home when you discover that you didn't... There's probably some sort of screw down press tool you can get if you do lots of them; it certainly wouldn't be hard to build something.
A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.
guzzis3
Able Skipper

Post by guzzis3 »

You might be able to modify a ball joint puller but as said why bother.

Just a tip. Maybe everyone knows this. When removing difficult press fits load them up with puller of whatever then give it a sharp moderate whack with a steel hammer. Sometimes the whack needn't even be axial. Just getting it ringing can cause it to pop.

Yes I'm a mechanic. Yes I can do everything with a collection of hammers and vice grips :D and a gas axe...
bachus
Yachtmaster

Post by bachus »

Thanks all.
I should have mentioned that I run oiled bearing. This creates two issues. A mess when the outer cover is removed. Re-sealing the outer cover again.

Thoughts on using a dolly to absorb the impact on the hub itself?. I have a section of railway track for example - veeeery heavy.
MoodyBlue
Administrator

Post by MoodyBlue »

Since you are still trying to do this job "In Situ" I would be trying a tie rod removal tool to press out the offending stud.

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/too ... lsrc=aw.ds

A cheap plastic tray can always be used to catch the oil if the hub is removed. Resealing the hub cover is easy. Just clean both surfaces and use one of the Lok-Tite sealants. May have to refill to oil a few days later to give the Lok-tite a chance to cure.
"There is no perfect boat. There are only those shaded to your preferences.":-)
bachus
Yachtmaster

Post by bachus »

I remembered the dolly under the workbench and raised the question.
I will remove the hub before bashing. I need the practice in removing the hub in any case. The sealant I do have but I suspect it is expired aka set in the tube - I need to take spare tube regardless. I will also take the hydraulic press just in case the studs are stubborn . . Use of same will cause amusement for anyone passing if I deploy it lol.
zebedee
Admiral

Post by zebedee »

bachus wrote: Jun 7th, '22, 18:08 Thanks all.
I should have mentioned that I run oiled bearing. This creates two issues. A mess when the outer cover is removed. Re-sealing the outer cover again.

Thoughts on using a dolly to absorb the impact on the hub itself?. I have a section of railway track for example - veeeery heavy.
I've got a ball joint breaker for Minis which looks just like the one Jeff linked to...
A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.
bachus
Yachtmaster

Post by bachus »

zebedee wrote: Jun 7th, '22, 21:48 . . . I've got a ball joint breaker for Minis which looks just like the one Jeff linked to...
pm sent :-)
guzzis3
Able Skipper

Post by guzzis3 »

tie rod remover. Yep that was what I was thinking of. They can be had pretty cheaply and are worth having about for future situations. As I say don't swing off the bolt. Tighten it then give it a hit. Much less likely to bust anything.
colect149
Yachtmaster

Post by colect149 »

On the subject of studs and wheels, it seems not uncommon to lose a wheel due to stud failure, more common with boats than caravans. Under normal circumstances Wheel Studs are are not a highly stressed item, so what is happening? I think it may come down to rust. Could it be the wheel was fitted ignoring existing rust on the face?The nuts would tighten as normal but the rust in compression is soft, so the nuts will work loose, the wheel will start to move on the hub putting sideways strain on the studs which eventually break. It looks like the studs have failed but in reality it was the loose nuts caused the failure. My theory anyway. I always made sure the mating surfaces of wheel to hub were clean and rust free.
Boatless. Kia Sportage 2L FWD, Jayco 13 Sprite, 1967 MGB roadster, 1932 Austin 7 Box Saloon,
Previous:- TS500, Ultimate 18, Cole 23, Laser, Ultimate16, Farr6000, Hardy 18 Motor Sailor, Farr7500, Farr5000.
Peridot
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Post by Peridot »

Been there, done that. After New Year on Sydney Hbr we pulled out at Tunks Park, Middle Hbr. Towing an 8m trailer in Sydney traffic is a bit stressful for me. I did a right turn and the trailer wheel hit a traffic island rather hard. I should have checked at the next stop. Should have. Held on by 5 studs, 7/16 th, doubtful parentage but I had serviced the brakes and checked the bearings before we left home. I make a point of feeling the temperature of the hubs after a run. The wheel passed us on the highway about 30Km south of Mackay, came to stop in the scrub on the other side of the road. No one coming towards us ( very lucky). A barrier on our side for about the next 500m, so driving slowly on the brake disc, leaving a white line on the road. Eventually was able to pull off and and rang RACQ. This rig arrived after about an hour, all their more appropriate vehicles had been called to head office at Bli Bli to deal with the aftermath of the floods. Parked on the road opposite their Mackay yard and took the hub to a tyre outfit. I asked how this could happen ? They said they had a new car a few days ago, all studs sheared on 2 hubs. New studs pressed in, new rim and tyre, on the way again next day. Poorer and wiser.Image

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
All that really belongs to us is time,
even he who has nothing else has that. (Balthasar Gracian)

Peter

"Peridòt", 6.0m Jim Young, and 05 Jeep Renegade Cherokee
rseydler
Yachtmaster

Post by rseydler »

Wow. Glad everyone was ok.
Castle 610
Yachtmaster

Post by Castle 610 »

Similar thing happened on my old boat. New hub. Halfway to Sydney up the Hume all five studs sheared off and the wheel kept going.
We went and bought some studs at Supercheap and put them in and kept going!
Stephen
Castle 650 'Mad Mouse'
Sabre 1205 'Wasp'
Nacra 14sq 'Vamoose'
zebedee
Admiral

Post by zebedee »

Castle 610 wrote: Jun 16th, '22, 22:53 Similar thing happened on my old boat. New hub. Halfway to Sydney up the Hume all five studs sheared off and the wheel kept going.
We went and bought some studs at Supercheap and put them in and kept going!
Same boat, new trailer, subsequent new axle, I never lost a wheel but I was breaking wheel studs for a while. Turned out to be interference between the centre hole of the 6 stud 15" Rodeo wheels and the chamfer on the centre "nose" of the hub. Realised what was going on when I fitted at 6 stud 16" Ranger/BT50 rim with a slightly smaller centre hole which was worse and obvious.
colect149
Yachtmaster

Post by colect149 »

Zeb, classical example of nuts being tight on the wheel but the wheel not tight on the hub. Granted tandem axle trailers put more strain on the studs when sharp turning, but what's going on? - ever seen stud failure on a car or ute? - very rare.
Boatless. Kia Sportage 2L FWD, Jayco 13 Sprite, 1967 MGB roadster, 1932 Austin 7 Box Saloon,
Previous:- TS500, Ultimate 18, Cole 23, Laser, Ultimate16, Farr6000, Hardy 18 Motor Sailor, Farr7500, Farr5000.
zebedee
Admiral

Post by zebedee »

colect149 wrote: Jun 17th, '22, 15:16Zeb, classical example of nuts being tight on the wheel but the wheel not tight on the hub. Granted tandem axle trailers put more strain on the studs when sharp turning, but what's going on? - ever seen stud failure on a car or ute? - very rare.
The interference with the Rodeo rims was so minor I didn't recognise it, but when I put a Fazda wheel on, it was much more obvious and the penny dropped.
In Cincinnati my girlfriend's "Reasonably Priced Car" (a Suzuki Aerio, known here as a Liana) suffered a broken wheel stud at under 20,000 miles. That really was a very ordinary car; nothing you could point at and say "that is bad", but it had absolutely nothing to recommend it; Top Gear were spot on describing it as a "Reasonably Priced Car".

Return to “Trailers and Towing”