Noelex 25 trailer updates.

Share information on trailers and towing hacks issues
Frank Peters
Able Skipper

Noelex 25 trailer updates.

Post by Frank Peters »

Hi All,
After my last sail at Easter I spent a lot of time considering my Noelex 25 trailer updates.
I spent many hours researching trailer parts, quality and prices.
It is very confusing and I change my mind many times.
I am still considering two options.
One is to leave 40mm axles and update two new brake hubs so I have brakes on all wheels.
Then comes the decision on brakeaway unit.
There are 4 different once on the market and price around $ 800 to$1100, all probably good for the purpose.
One option I like was what INMA mentioned in the past and if I understand it was using the spring pretension the hydraulic brakes and it will activate if disconnected from the car.
This system can be effective but then you rely on over ride braking and I don’t know if it is legal over 2T weight.
I will be always a bit over 2T and on long run some modification is essential.
And prices in Melbourne are half what I have in my place.
Lucky I have three months to do it so no rush.
Any advice from TSP friends is welcome.
Regards Frank
zebedee
Admiral

Re: Noelex 25 trailer updates.

Post by zebedee »

Your 40mm axles are rated 1000kg each.
Even if you assume 10% drawbar weight, you can't get past 2000kg GVM and 2222kg ATM (ATM 2222kg - 10% drawbar weight 222.2kg = GTM 1999.8kg)

Check your override brake coupling casting, it will be rated one of 2000kg, 2272kg, or 5000lbs ATM, not GTM. (2272kg is of course 5000lbs).
If it's rated 2272kg, then you can look at arranging breakaway brakes which work with it, but if it's 2000lbs, you'll need to find an older casting with the required number cast in, even though it is otherwise identical.

The ADRs don't explicitly prohibit override brakes over 2000kgATM, but they do make it very difficult.
Basically you must have breakaway brakes once over 2000kg GTM, and if the brakes are not override, you must be able to control them from the driver's seat. The coupling must be marked as complying with the Australian Standard OR an acceptable alternative standard. The current Australian Standard (now) only permits couplings rated 750kg, 2000kg, or 3500kg, and none of the AS approved 3500kg couplings are override couplings.

BUT the European standards are acceptable and there are European approved hydraulic override couplings for a 50mm ball which incorporate a breakaway mechanism and which are rated for various ATMs up to at least 3500kg.
A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.
Rcracing2
CompetentCrew

Post by Rcracing2 »

I bought a new trailer override trailer coupling with 3500kg rating as my issues were similar to Frank. Still couldn't always keep the weight below 2.2t so opted for a conversion to electric/hydraulic instead. Still have the coupling on though cause i paid an arm and a leg for it so wasn't about to replace it!
zebedee
Admiral

Post by zebedee »

Rcracing2 wrote:
Jun 10th, '21, 08:42
I bought a new trailer override trailer coupling with 3500kg rating as my issues were similar to Frank. Still couldn't always keep the weight below 2.2t so opted for a conversion to electric/hydraulic instead. Still have the coupling on though cause i paid an arm and a leg for it so wasn't about to replace it!
A European coupling, something like this?
s-l1600.jpg
A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.
Rcracing2
CompetentCrew

Post by Rcracing2 »

zebedee wrote:
Jun 10th, '21, 11:03
Rcracing2 wrote:
Jun 10th, '21, 08:42
A European coupling, something like this?

s-l1600.jpg

No it's a standard override coupling. I'm not at home for a week so i can't take any pictures but definitely 3500kg rating.

Return to “Trailers and Towing”