Isuzu NLS and NLR as tow vehicles

Share information on trailers and towing hacks issues
Grith
Inshore Skipper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Isuzu NLS and NLR as tow vehicles

Post by Grith » Feb 1st, '21, 06:27

Hi All I have just purchased an Isuzu NLS AWD as my new tow vehicle for doing the lap with my Imexus 28 which when loaded for extended cruising comes in at well over 3 ton on trailer. I am also fitting a slide on camper but with a GVM of 4500kg and a GCM of 8000kg I will be well within my respective capacities. Has anyone else taken this slightly left of centre approach to their close to the limit towing capacity problems? I have driven it over 1000klms on rough and gravel roads now having had to take delivery in Inverell whilst living in Kangaroo Valley NSW. We had to do this and added in a camping trip as it was one of the last available of a discounted Trayback special offered by ISUZU late last year. Just interested if anyone else has had experience using these as a tow vehicle?
Grith
South Coast NSW
Imexus 28 2009
Diesel Inboard Cruising Power Sailer
Hobie Adventure Islands (sailing trimaran kayaks)
Isuzu NLS AWD with Beyond Slide On Camper

bachus
Yachtmaster

Re: Isuzu NLS and NLR as tow vehicles

Post by bachus » Feb 1st, '21, 07:30

INMA (now departed) always said, if you want no load issues towing then get a truck. How many have done this, not sure. There was a Macgregor 26M in WA towed by a truck fitted out much as you plan but that was a long time ago.
Jim
Castle 650 #96. Mystic.
Towing with Ford Territory SZII TX AWD

Peridot
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Post by Peridot » Feb 1st, '21, 17:55

Grith wrote:Hi All I have just purchased an Isuzu NLS AWD as my new tow vehicle for doing the lap with my Imexus 28 which when loaded for extended cruising comes in at well over 3 ton on trailer. I am also fitting a slide on camper but with a GVM of 4500kg and a GCM of 8000kg I will be well within my respective capacities. Has anyone else taken this slightly left of centre approach to their close to the limit towing capacity problems? I have driven it over 1000klms on rough and gravel roads now having had to take delivery in Inverell whilst living in Kangaroo Valley NSW. We had to do this and added in a camping trip as it was one of the last available of a discounted Trayback special offered by ISUZU late last year. Just interested if anyone else has had experience using these as a tow vehicle?

Saw a setup like that about 5 years ago. Similar truck with a slide on, and a Farr 7.5 on behind. The boat was called Plan B. They had been as far north as Cairns and were heading south again. Very happy with their rig.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
All that really belongs to us is time,
even he who has nothing else has that. (Balthasar Gracian)

Peter

"Peridòt", 6.0m Jim Young, and 05 Jeep Renegade Cherokee

guzzis3
Able Skipper

Post by guzzis3 » Feb 1st, '21, 20:25

From what I've heard the previous izizu you can't kill them with an axe. Don't know about the new model. New body and motor.

The big complaint about the old one is they are a bit trucklike. I've only driven the boss's dad's one and yes it was an absolute pig to maneuver but everything's a compromise.

They were running out the extra cab 2wd for about 28 as I recall. Should have grabbed one, but then again I can't drive at all now so..

zebedee
Admiral

Post by zebedee » Feb 1st, '21, 22:13

No extra cabs here; you can have single cab, crew cab, or factory fitted tipper body:

https://isuzu.com.au/truck-range/n-series/
https://www.carsguide.com.au/isuzu/nlr

I've driven the automated manual as a rented moving van (NLR200 I think).
Get a proper manual!
A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.

guzzis3
Able Skipper

Post by guzzis3 » Feb 2nd, '21, 17:04

Sorry my mistake. I thought he was talking about the ute...

zebedee
Admiral

Post by zebedee » Feb 2nd, '21, 17:55

guzzis3 wrote:
Feb 2nd, '21, 17:04
Sorry my mistake. I thought he was talking about the ute...
Same 3 litre diesel motor, more truck!
A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.

Castle 610
Yachtmaster

Post by Castle 610 » Feb 2nd, '21, 20:01

Has less power and torque than the ute by the looks
Stephen
Castle 650 'Mad Mouse'
Sabre 1205 'Wasp'
Nacra 14sq 'Vamoose'

zebedee
Admiral

Post by zebedee » Feb 3rd, '21, 01:48

When the 3.0 diesel first appeared on the very last TF Rodeos in 2000, they were 110kW.
A friend's sister has an older (20yo?) Isuzu N series car licence sized motorhome imported complete and used from Japan, with the 3 litre diesel, but unlike the Rodeo/D-Max, it's not turbo charged. It's a slug! And just for fun, the fixed (not lift off) motorhome body prevents the cab tilting forward, rendering some maintenance jobs very difficult, and some potential major repairs simply impossible. One day something that can't be removed will break and that will be the end of it.

Grith
Inshore Skipper

Post by Grith » Feb 23rd, '21, 20:16

Still cannot find anyone who has used these new NLS AWD Isuzu’s for towing their yacht or fitting a slide on camper and tow a yacht combination I will be trying. Surely I cannot be the only one out there trying this vehicle for these uses! I am waiting on my towbar and electric brake controller fitment at present and after this I will drag my 3.3 ton Imexus28 out of Kangaroo Valley and let everyone know how that goes. Currently I use a VW Touareg and don’t expect anything like the speed or pulling power that car generates. If it can just keep up with the semi’s up and down the extreme mountain roads here I will be very happy. Also having an exhaust brake ( and a pretty quiet one ) may be very handy for saving the brakes on both yacht and tow vehicle. It certainly did the job with just the slide on camper on the back coming up the nearly 500 metre climb into Kangaroo Valley and then using this back down about 450 metres controlled fall! It’s going to be a big rig with nearly 11 meters on trailer yacht behind nearly 6 metres of truck with camper on board!
Secondhand Slide on Camper on NLS AWD
Secondhand Slide on Camper on NLS AWD
Last edited by Grith on Feb 23rd, '21, 20:20, edited 1 time in total.
Grith
South Coast NSW
Imexus 28 2009

bachus
Yachtmaster

Post by bachus » Feb 23rd, '21, 20:20

I think a lot of us will wait for your report with interest . . .
Jim
Castle 650 #96. Mystic.
Towing with Ford Territory SZII TX AWD

Grith
Inshore Skipper

Post by Grith » Feb 23rd, '21, 20:30

Hi Jim So far with the slide on on board the Isuzu is getting just better than 14 litres per 100klms and maintained close to posted speeds from Loch Victoria to Kangaroo Valley NSW via the Princes Highway. An extra 3.3 ton could slow it down quite a bit I feel but will let everyone know how it goes and what the fuel consumption is. With the slide on on the back the ride was much less truck like than the previous unloaded journey back from Inverell to Kangaroo Valley as I had expected. If it can maintain reasonable towing speeds I feel these Isuzu’s could be a real winner for those of us pushing the limits with really big Trailable cruisers as distinct from lightweight racers or camping class trailer sailers. It was $52,500 brand new so actually pretty reasonably priced I felt for a 2 ton alloy tray back AWD Ute. It’s at least an interesting experiment that I hope works out as planned. So far so good!
Grith
South Coast NSW
Imexus 28 2009

Grith
Inshore Skipper

Post by Grith » Feb 23rd, '21, 20:32

Just deleting a double post. I forgot it sometimes does this from my phone.
Grith
South Coast NSW
Imexus 28 2009

Even Keel
CompetentCrew

Post by Even Keel » Feb 23rd, '21, 20:46

Sounds pretty good on fuel. How's the ride? You could probably put big air bag shocks on the rear of that thing. I know adjustable shocks made a huge difference to the ride of my little Hilux.

Grith
Inshore Skipper

Post by Grith » Feb 23rd, '21, 21:06

Hi Even Keel The ride was pretty grab your hat and yell yeah har when it was empty on lousy bitumen back roads or gravel but was fine and capable of running smoothly at the 110kph limit and well past (very briefly overtaking ) on freeways. Once the about 1 ton of slide on was on the back it was remarkably smooth and better than many of the larger 4x4’s I have driven and definitely better than most of the rear leaf sprung utes. It has a 5 ton rated rear axle with big leaf springs but the front is a new control arm type suspension in part for ride and in part for lots of lock to lock allowing a very handy 10.1 metre turning circle.
It also has a huge screen nav and entertainment unit with all sorts of fancy features like programmable height and width sensitive navigation, full blue tooth phone and entertainment capabilities and even a CD/DVD player, memory stick slot, DAB radio and picture viewer. It also has a rear camera and ports for 4 more cameras and split screen capability I hope to put to good use. The passenger and combined 3rd front row seat is pretty poor and I will be reupholstering in memory foam shortly and I have already scored a second hand but new Isuzu mechanical suspension seat very cheap for myself. This model NLS can also access all the vital engine components from behind the cab or under the lift up passengers seat but can also tilt the cab off the engine for really superb access if required.
As above so far so good.🙂
PS it happens that the height with slide on ( at just under 3.7m) was the same as my Imexus with the mast in the raised trailering position that allows me to use the Bimini on trailer. Also the Isuzu mirrors have an adjustable wide position that allows rear vision past my 2.5 metre wide yacht with the standard mirrors on their widest setting. Happy camper so far!
Grith
South Coast NSW
Imexus 28 2009

rseydler
Yachtmaster

Post by rseydler » Feb 24th, '21, 18:51

That fuel economy is great, how many kms on it? I've owned petrol land cruisers and diesel patrols and lets not discuss their fuel economy :)

Got a layout for the slide on?

Return to “Trailers and Towing”