Looking at a Tow Vehicle

Share information on trailers and towing hacks issues
PaulS
Able Skipper

Re: Looking at a Tow Vehicle

Post by PaulS » Dec 30th, '20, 20:56

Wanton wrote:
Dec 21st, '20, 22:48
The first launch of Wanton from its new trailer. We launched at the Port of Sale So what happened next? Well even the camera lady could not capture what happened next cause Wanton just took off. If flew down the trailer and there was an all mighty splash. Luckily for me it is a good deep boat ramp so certainly no damage was done, but for a second all we saw was spray everywhere.

The second photo shows the wake waves caused by the quick exit. All ended well though cause my able helpers stopped Wanton from sailing by itself down to the next lake by quickly using the cleats on the jetty.

Wanton after the big splash.jpg

Conclusion the trailer worked just great during the launch, all I have to do is make sure there is enough water under the trailer and all will be OK.

The retrieval also worked a treat. The boat came up straight as it did on the original Stacer Careel trailer and it only took the winch just under 45 seconds to complete the task.

So it all worked out just great
The same thing happened when I replaced the 12 squashed black rubber keel rollers with nice red made in Australia rollers new pins and grease..... the Hartley 21 that occasionally had to be winched OFF the trailer took of with a club member attached to the painter - his finger was sore for ages..... it resembled the first launch of a cruise ship huge splash and all.

Lesson learnt....

PaulS
BETTER DROWNED THAN DUFFERS IF NOT DUFFERS WON'T DROWN
South Gippsland Victoria

Wanton
Yachtmaster

Post by Wanton » Dec 30th, '20, 21:12

Castle 610 wrote:
Dec 30th, '20, 18:34
Wanton. Tow in Perf mode so it stays in 5th gear. I sit on about the speed limit and use cruise. Its seems to go fine.
Since l bought the Territory there are no hills between melb and paynesville!

Have to check out what "Tow in Perf mode" Stephen. I am having my mechanic install and oil cooler for the gear box on the 4th January. I am a strong believer in adding a little cooling to the gear oil. :)
Ed
Wanton C22/110
All I wanna do is sail
http://www.baysidetrailableyachtclub.com

Castle 610
Yachtmaster

Post by Castle 610 » Dec 30th, '20, 22:19

Wanton..just push the selector to the left when you get on the freeway. It drops back a gear. Better for gearbox.
Stephen
Castle 650 'Mad Mouse'
Sabre 1205 'Wasp'
Nacra 14sq 'Vamoose'

bachus
Yachtmaster

Post by bachus » Dec 31st, '20, 07:55

Wanton wrote:
Dec 30th, '20, 21:12
Castle 610 wrote:
Dec 30th, '20, 18:34
Wanton. Tow in Perf mode so it stays in 5th gear. I sit on about the speed limit and use cruise. Its seems to go fine.
Since l bought the Territory there are no hills between melb and paynesville!

Have to check out what "Tow in Perf mode" Stephen. I am having my mechanic install and oil cooler for the gear box on the 4th January. I am a strong believer in adding a little cooling to the gear oil. :)
While your mechanic is doing this (not really required with the model you have btw) replace the thermostat valve (not value) in the transmission with a straight through. This however will require a dump of the oil - the correct oil is expensive to replace (and the correct oils must be used) but the bypass means that a full flush is possible from the front hoses unlike the current max 50% at a time flush by dumping the oil from the transmission itself. The stock transmission does not start to circulate oil outside of the transmission case to the cooler until 80 deg C internal thus a “normal” flush is not possible unless the oil is at the correct temperature ie over 80 deg. Go to the ford forums to get more detail on all this.

Edit, valve not value
Jim
Castle 650 #96. Mystic.
Towing with Ford Territory SZII TX AWD

Wanton
Yachtmaster

Post by Wanton » Jan 6th, '21, 09:04

Huh ha, I am changing the gunwale rubber this week. I went down to Pompei's marine at Moridialloc. After speaking with me Len thought that infact I may need 40mm gunwale rubber not 30mm. PS: the gunwale rubber is a old as Wanton is and it was Rock hard. I could not cut it with a stanley knife, I actually had to use a hacksaw. Anyway after checking the size I found that Len was spot on, always consider bowing to experience. I returned to Mordialloc yesterday and as I parked the car near the shop, I spotted my old trailer. It had been repaired and modified to take the motor cruiser it was purchased for, but sure enough, there was the name of the boat and sail number on the side of the trailer. Yes it was my old trailer and it looked good and ready for another 30 years of good service.
Attachments
Trailer at Modialloc creek.jpg
Ed
Wanton C22/110
All I wanna do is sail
http://www.baysidetrailableyachtclub.com

Return to “Trailers and Towing”