Introduction

Having problems joining TSP or want to post some feedback?
This is the place to do it.
nodrama
Midshipman
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Introduction

Post by nodrama » Jan 24th, '12, 16:30

Dave, as Bonanza has already stated, come along to the TCYC hardstand and talk to a few of the other owners.

There are some great benefits from joining a club, lots of guys are very willing to provide advice. Some may know of suitable boats that are on the market and be able to provide some knowledge about specific local yachts.

There is a great social scene at the club and many events including serious racing, twilight sailing and social sailing such as picnics and rallies. Many of our members also tow and sail away.

Another way to gain some experience is to crew on other boats. There are often members looking for crew.

davewilliams

Post by davewilliams » Jan 28th, '12, 12:28

yeah for sure!

I am 100% committed to joining a club, I understand there are many advantages!! the social aspect is just as important to us as the actual sailing!

Had a bit of a quiet week, nothing to update as such, still looking.

I have next weekend off - I will come down to the hardstand - so Sat arvo huh?

nodrama
Midshipman

Post by nodrama » Jan 28th, '12, 13:27

Guys will be there today (28/1) around 1200-1300 launching for a 1400 race start and back around 1600-1700.
Next saturday (4/2) is a marathon race that starts at 1200 so yachts will be launching around 1000-1100.

davewilliams

Post by davewilliams » Jan 28th, '12, 15:40

nodrama wrote:Guys will be there today (28/1) around 1200-1300 launching for a 1400 race start and back around 1600-1700.
Next saturday (4/2) is a marathon race that starts at 1200 so yachts will be launching around 1000-1100.
cool I'll be there, any idea what time they'll be coming back in?

nodrama
Midshipman

Post by nodrama » Jan 29th, '12, 11:36

Since its a long course, it's a bit hard to say, the boats will probably end up a bit further apart. Should be around 1600, since we all need to get back to the bar for a drink or two.

davewilliams

Post by davewilliams » Jan 29th, '12, 14:27

sounds good to me :)

I'll be the guy drooling over the boats with the missus shuffling her feet, trying to work out how many pairs of shoes she could buy :)

nodrama
Midshipman

Post by nodrama » Jan 29th, '12, 22:17

Dave,
TCYC have just announced a 50% discount on the nomination fees.
See the advert page 6 of the Sound Telegraph (25/1/12).
The offer is valid until 31st March 2012.
It will save you some money if you are considering joining the club.

davewilliams

Post by davewilliams » Jan 30th, '12, 10:01

Right, sign me up :)

and thanks, I don't read that paper - I owe you a beer!

linkage
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Post by linkage » Jan 30th, '12, 16:03

Hi Dave, show her these pictures of our twilight racing and you won't have another argument!

https://picasaweb.google.com/jpfoolonth ... directlink
John
Noelex 25 #1022 "Bonanza"

zebedee
Admiral

Post by zebedee » Jan 30th, '12, 19:49

davewilliams wrote:sounds good to me :)

I'll be the guy drooling over the boats with the missus shuffling her feet, trying to work out how many pairs of shoes she could buy :)
Sandals for sunny days, sailing shoes for cloudy days (or is it the other way around to avoid sunburnt feet?), sailing boots for wild winter days....

Wait, that's not what you meant is it?
A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.

davewilliams

Post by davewilliams » Jan 31st, '12, 21:17

hahahaha not exactly but I like your thinking, you do get to buy some new shoes love!

davewilliams

Post by davewilliams » Jan 31st, '12, 21:21

linkage wrote:Hi Dave, show her these pictures of our twilight racing and you won't have another argument!

https://picasaweb.google.com/jpfoolonth ... directlink
Magic!!!

davewilliams

Post by davewilliams » Feb 1st, '12, 03:06

check this

http://www.tradingpost.com.au/Boats/Sail-Boats/AdNumber=TP005019545

this is what I meant by my comment re: eastern states prices

I think I'd buy that tomorrow if I saw one locally for that price, would I be likely to find something like that over here?

nodrama
Midshipman

Post by nodrama » Feb 1st, '12, 10:29

Dave,
I have seen a few Boomerang 20's over here in the wild west.
In fact my sister & husband had one a few years ago. A nice boat, sailed well.
May get something similar (eg Austral 20, Spacesailer 20) for a similar price, but this one looks in very good condition.

zebedee
Admiral

Post by zebedee » Feb 1st, '12, 15:28

davewilliams wrote:http://www.tradingpost.com.au/Boats/Sail-Boats/AdNumber=TP005019545

this is what I meant by my comment re: eastern states prices
Look carefully; that's not actually an "eastern states price"; it's a "stranded in North West Tasmania, far from civilisation" price; he's got a total market of about half a million people on Tasmania to sell to, and even within that market, Smithton is 130km from Devonport, 230km from Launceston and 400km from Hobart (you don't tend to think of Tassie having these sorts of distances do you?).

Anyone else has to organise to get to Tasmania and to get from their arrival point (Devonport or Burnie?) to Smithton just to look at the boat, and if they buy, to get the boat back across Bass Strait.
A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.

davewilliams

Post by davewilliams » Feb 1st, '12, 21:17

yeah I saw that after I posted, Tas isn't exactly an easy transport!

anyway Im out actually looking now, will post up anything I've checked out

although I'm very keen, something is telling me to be sensible and wait till I've spoken to a few people and checked out their boats for myself

I'm a sellers dream though, I love an impulse buy but am trying to resist this time :)

nodrama
Midshipman

Post by nodrama » Feb 4th, '12, 10:50

Hi Dave,
Due to the Strong Wind Warning todays marathon race has been cancelled, so there will not be much action at the hardstanding.
If you would like to get together today and view some of the yachts at the hardstanding and have a talk about trailer sailers and the club please give me a call on 0 4 2 7 5 9 2 2 1 2 to arrange a time to meet.

davewilliams

Post by davewilliams » Feb 8th, '12, 10:03

nodrama wrote:Hi Dave,
Due to the Strong Wind Warning todays marathon race has been cancelled, so there will not be much action at the hardstanding.
If you would like to get together today and view some of the yachts at the hardstanding and have a talk about trailer sailers and the club please give me a call on 0 4 2 7 5 9 2 2 1 2 to arrange a time to meet.

oh bugger! we came down between 3 and 4 and saw no action whatsoever :( I should have checked here first - I did say to the missus it looks pretty rough out there and perhaps it was cancelled - next time!

davewilliams

Post by davewilliams » Feb 19th, '12, 18:07

Hi guys. I'm laid up after ankle surgery on Friday... Enjoying the painkillers :)

Any locals recognize this boat for sale?

http://perth.gumtree.com.au/c-Boats-Jet ... Z355668574

Cheers

Iancoombe
Inshore Skipper

Post by Iancoombe » Feb 19th, '12, 19:10

I think that boat sold about 5yrs ago it was in top condition then, great boats
cheers
Ian

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk
By three methods we may learn wisdom: first, by reflection, which is noblest,second is by imitation, which is easiest,third is by experience, which is the bitterest.

Shellback
Inshore Skipper

Post by Shellback » Mar 1st, '12, 00:04

Dave

A note of caution: for a first TS, it may be best to check out what is popular rather than falling for something less common. It's a buyer's market and there are plenty of trailer sailers on the market. In your local area and around your clubs, there are always boats available for sale even though they are not formally on the market. Start asking around and people will find you.

If you buy a popular design, it will be easier to get expert pre-purchase advice through a website like this, easier to get informed guidance while learning the ropes, and a better chance of selling when you are ready to try something different.
Joe
Seadragon, Timpenny 670

davewilliams

Post by davewilliams » Mar 4th, '12, 16:51

Cheers for the tips Shellback

I'm back in the land of the walking after my op and will be out and about as soon as I can to chat to whomever I can

Can anyone tell me what this is? it doesn't say

http://www.tradingpost.com.au/Boats/Sai ... P005053921

MelN
Able Skipper

Post by MelN » Mar 4th, '12, 17:00

Sheerline 747, according to this ad ...

http://yachthub.com/list/boats-for-sale ... ine/110163
Mel
Gippsland

davewilliams

Post by davewilliams » Mar 4th, '12, 17:45

cheers!

woah shes a heavy girl too!

davewilliams

Post by davewilliams » Mar 20th, '12, 01:00

nodrama wrote:Dave, as Bonanza has already stated, come along to the TCYC hardstand and talk to a few of the other owners.

There are some great benefits from joining a club, lots of guys are very willing to provide advice. Some may know of suitable boats that are on the market and be able to provide some knowledge about specific local yachts.

There is a great social scene at the club and many events including serious racing, twilight sailing and social sailing such as picnics and rallies. Many of our members also tow and sail away.

Another way to gain some experience is to crew on other boats. There are often members looking for crew.
hi guys (quoted above for reference)

are you heading out this saturday? its the first sat I've had off for sometime, Keen to get down and have a chat to some of you

also, can anyone recommend someone who does pre-purchase checks on boats in the area?

Cheers

Return to “Applying for Membership & Feedback”