New Members Introductions

Having problems joining TSP or want to post some feedback?
This is the place to do it.
bachus
Yachtmaster

Re: New Members Introductions

Post by bachus » Oct 2nd, '19, 17:03

Welcome.
Jim
Castle 650 #96. Mystic.
Towing with Ford Territory SZII TX AWD

obowey
CompetentCrew

Post by obowey » Oct 3rd, '19, 00:25

Welcome. Looking forward to your insights on boat mods.

Sent from my SM-A305YN using Tapatalk

jbcoop
Midshipman
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by jbcoop » Oct 23rd, '19, 21:44

Good day to all,
I am a new member from New Zealand. I have recently purchased a Farr 7500 and am working to get it ready for summer sailing. The previous owner had it for 6 years and sailed it on a lake, so it is in pretty good condition. He hadn't replaced the shrouds in his time and has no idea when they were last done, so that is one of my jobs. On the delivery road trip, about 800km, a cross member on the trailer started to split along a weld. Once I can get the boat on a hoist I will get it fixed. When I was under the trailer I noticed that most, if not all, of the keel leading edge was rusted. So I am not keen to put the boat in the (salt) water until I have inspected the whole keel. I will do that once it is on the hoist and can extend the keel. Hopefully it is just the leading edge, and does not extend inside the keel box. The previous owner did say that, after he bought the yacht, he fixed several rust patches on the keel and recovered with two coats of 2-pot epoxy.

Apart from those faults, it all appears good.

Bye for now.
jbcoop

obowey
CompetentCrew

Post by obowey » Oct 24th, '19, 01:37

Welcome.

bachus
Yachtmaster

Post by bachus » Oct 24th, '19, 06:15

Welcome. Not sure if you have sailed a trailer sailer before but you will enjoy it.
Jim
Castle 650 #96. Mystic.

Wanton
Yachtmaster

Post by Wanton » Oct 24th, '19, 06:59

jbcoop wrote:
Oct 23rd, '19, 21:44
Good day to all,
I am a new member from New Zealand. I have recently purchased a Farr 7500 and am working to get it ready for summer sailing. The previous owner had it for 6 years and sailed it on a lake, so it is in pretty good condition. He hadn't replaced the shrouds in his time and has no idea when they were last done, so that is one of my jobs. On the delivery road trip, about 800km, a cross member on the trailer started to split along a weld. Once I can get the boat on a hoist I will get it fixed. When I was under the trailer I noticed that most, if not all, of the keel leading edge was rusted. So I am not keen to put the boat in the (salt) water until I have inspected the whole keel. I will do that once it is on the hoist and can extend the keel. Hopefully it is just the leading edge, and does not extend inside the keel box. The previous owner did say that, after he bought the yacht, he fixed several rust patches on the keel and recovered with two coats of 2-pot epoxy.

Apart from those faults, it all appears good.

Bye for now.
Welcome to our forum. You will find many members of this forum very happy to offer any assistance they can drawing from their knowledge and experience sailing trailer sailers. Even though you live "Farr away" ( :D I had to be the first didn't I?) you will receive cheerful and good information about your boat here and we are all too happy to share our experiences. Many of us, including myself, repair our own boats including removing and restoring the keels on our boats. Just use the search functions and you will find what you may be looking for. I for one know that you are going to love your Farr 7500. Enjoy
Ed
Wanton C22/110
All I wanna do is sail
http://www.baysidetrailableyachtclub.com

Peridot
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Post by Peridot » Oct 24th, '19, 10:38

I see you are in Northland. We lived in Whangarei until 2003, now in Far North QLD. Really enjoyed sailing there, the late 70's were a prime time for trailer yachts, lots of families, and the start of the Optimists. Great cruising grounds, our squadron weekends were as far south as Warkworth and as far north as Whangaroa. Bay of Islands for Christmas. Great memories.
Peter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
All that really belongs to us is time,
even he who has nothing else has that. (Balthasar Gracian)

Peter

"Peridòt", 6.0m Jim Young, and 05 Jeep Renegade Cherokee

obowey
CompetentCrew

Post by obowey » Oct 24th, '19, 22:04

cazgeo wrote:
Sep 29th, '19, 11:44
Thanks for uploading the pics obowey. Looks good. It has more bedding room than I expected for a 24. What is the weight of your boat?

Another quick question (and if I should be starting a new forum post please let me know - am new to forums), would anyone know of where to look or recommend someone in WA to get a survey or inspection of a boat? Most boats coming up for sale tend to be in the Perth region and as we are quite a distance away it might be an option for us to get it looked at before we make the long trip down :)
Hi Caz. Weight on the weigh bridge today was 1380 on the axle and 140kg on the ball. I'm pretty happy with those weights as we had all the gear in the boat.

Marsupial
Midshipman

Post by Marsupial » Feb 23rd, '20, 12:52

Hello TSPeople, long time lurker, now trailer sailer owner.

Live in Cairns FNQld, new owner of Sonata 7 "The Office". Not sure of the boat's history.

First, like to give a big thank you to the managers/moderators of this site for keeping it up and running. Sometimes a thankless time consuming job. Well done.

Secondly, thank you to the members past and present, who over the years have contributed such a wealth of opinion and knowledge for the benefit of fellow TS owners users, potential purchasers. This site has been (along with various owner association websites) my gold mine in the quest to "get back in to it".

Yesterday completed four thousand km round trip from Cairns to Brisbane to pick up the boat. Thankfully uneventful, towed like a dream.

Long time power/sail owners, usual story, start small, over time get bigger, then back to small.

We (wife and self) started sailing at Lake Patricia in Weipa mid nineteen seventies with the local sailing club, sailed a Flying Ant. Graduated to a Caper Cat. Great for cruising over-nighters on the Gulf of Carpenteria. Succession of power boats then S&S 34. Beautiful boat, a joy to sail although deep keel was a bit 'iffy' around the Reef. 10 foot tinnie and plastic kayaks for the last few years.
Now wrong side of 70 and keen to get grand-kids in to sailing, reckon in 5 years time will be too decrepit to launch and retrieve so now is the time.

Hope to catch up with local FNQ TS sailors, I see a few regulars on here.
Main aim is cruising on Lake Tinaroo, Cairns Inlet, Fitzroy Island, Hinchinbrook Island, then further afield.
Simon Carter and his YouTube videos have inspired me to cruise as much of the Queensland coast as possible.
Long term would love to do a long trip to Lake Argyle, Shark Bay, Darwin and Victoria River.

As usual, too verbose, Cheers, Peter Wallace
Peter W
Sonata 7
'The Office'
Cairns

bachus
Yachtmaster

Post by bachus » Feb 23rd, '20, 13:13

Welcome Peter
Jim
Castle 650 #96. Mystic.

Tezza
Able Skipper

Post by Tezza » Feb 23rd, '20, 14:02

G’Day Peter, Good to see yr back sailing ,welcome.
Terry
Sonata 6 Mango

Peridot
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Post by Peridot » Feb 23rd, '20, 21:40

Welcome, Peter. Will watch out for you on Tinaroo. Friday Afternoon Gentlemen Sailing (FAGS) is from 3pm, anything from 2 to 10 boats. Lake level is coming up, hope it will be full again soon.
Peter

Sent from my 5099U using Tapatalk

Peter

obowey
CompetentCrew

Post by obowey » Feb 25th, '20, 00:01

Welcome.

Marsupial
Midshipman

Post by Marsupial » Feb 25th, '20, 08:05

Thanks Peridot, is the FAGs catch-up at/near the sailing club ? Any launching ramps at Tinaroo best suited to aTS ?

Just stripped out everything from the boat to get it to how I prefer. Lots of small changes for personal preferences.
Total re-wire needed longer term, ex sparkie so never happy with the wiring.

Also had to bail out lots of water from the recent monsoon rain, many small holes from removed old deck fittings (boat has been in a warehouse for a long time).
Plan on doing all the 'seaworthiness' stuff first, cosmetics later.

Cheers, Peter.
Peter W
Sonata 7
'The Office'
Cairns

Peridot
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Post by Peridot » Feb 25th, '20, 20:47

Yes, the area between the Club and the dam. There is a good concrete ramp on the same road as the club, Black Gully Rd. The club is on the left, the ramp on the right. There is another past Tinaroo village on the right. Popular with fizz boats, a bit exposed in the prevailing SE. Let us know if you are coming up.
Peter

Sent from my 5099U using Tapatalk

Peter

Rover_Tasmania
Midshipman

Post by Rover_Tasmania » Apr 8th, '20, 14:33

Hi all,

New from Tassie

I have only gotten smitten with sailing over the last few months and have buried myself in all things sailing to this point. Now I am looking for a sailboat (dont have one) and have taken an interest in trailersialers due to all the benefits mentioned in this site. Intention is to use it with the wife and 12yo son fort weekends away, mixed with some solo sailings day trips too.

So, question for you, I am tall (6'2") and I know these boats are small. I also would like a boat on the larger side (20ft+). WHat would be some of the makes/models I could focus on? I also like to hear from Tasmanian's on the subject and if there are any clubs.

I am very handy (mechanically and general DIY), so I would very much consider buying a 'project' type boat, one that is complete but hasnt been used and needs TLC - for a low price. This could keep me busy (and out of trouble from the wife lol) for winter. Is this a wise move?

So in a nutshell, new to boating and trailersailers, wanting a boat that can be a fixxer upper or already in good cond, 20+ft with fin keel for a family of 3.

Cheers,

Carlos
Carlos
Tasmania

Peter Yates
Admiral

Post by Peter Yates » Apr 9th, '20, 08:37

Welcome Carlos to a past-time that is very restricted at the moment but will come good again hopefully.

Hard to know what to recommend but being a handy man will be very helpful.

You will need to match any boat you buy to the vehicle you will use to tow it and boats over 20 feet can become quite heavy.

Also your reference to a "fin keel" - I assume you mean a drop or swing centreboard as a fin keel will not generally be trailer or ramp friendly. Some boats do have a fixed shallow "shoal draft keel" (Investigator 563, Spacesailers, Adventure 7) which can be a decent compromise. If you are new to actual sailing, perhaps look for a stable TS with decent ballast down low rather than a sports boat.

Good luck!
Peter Y

Investigator 563 "Tricksy"

Tow car - Ford Territory 2WD diesel.

ETinBrissy
Midshipman

Post by ETinBrissy » May 5th, '20, 11:31

Greetings all at TSP!

I've joined up because the time has come to subject my wife and 3 boys (7,6 & 4) to my mid-life crisis of wanting to own a TS.

We live in Wynnum so are constantly teased by Moreton Bay and reminded of my youth when I would spend time sailing with my family on our Hood 23, which is long gone.

In the pic, I'm the one in the Makita hat and Hook Island t-shirt....the pic is on the broadwater, Gold Coast.

I'm in the market for something <$10k that I can overnight on with reasonable comfort.

All the best,
ETinBrissy
Attachments
IMG-20180901-WA0002.jpg

Tezza
Able Skipper

Post by Tezza » May 5th, '20, 13:33

Welcome ET , I am moored at Jacobs Well so the Broardwater is where I sail and I find that a
ts is the perfect boat for there. Go aground just raise the keel till you float off , raise keel and pull up onto sand no probs.
Three boys ,mum and you overnight means something around 24/25 feet min. IMO.
Im guessing from where you live you want a ts partly to save on mooring fees.
Theres a decent looking RL 24 at Caboolture for $9000 might be worth looking at.
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/caboolt ... 1243246537
and a Northwind (Sonata) for $10000 that might suit .
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/marooch ... 1241783493
Sonata 6 Mango

Gnasher
Midshipman

Post by Gnasher » May 11th, '20, 18:37

Hi TSP members, and thanks for the add.

The wife and I are returning from the “dark side”, from a group owned 35’ keel boat, to an RL24 on our own.

Further info for other RL owners, we have just bought “Windsong”, sail #124, and transported her back to Wynnum/Manly for some well deserved TLC and future bay touring / racing. Needless to say she’s a project, so will be back-reading all the history on here for ideas / reference.

Cheers

Ian

MoodyBlue
Administrator

Post by MoodyBlue » May 11th, '20, 21:12

Welcome to TSP Ian.

Cheers
MoodyBlue
TSP Admin
"There is no perfect boat. There are only those shaded to your preferences.":-)

carling
Midshipman

Post by carling » May 16th, '20, 21:24

G'day all, long time lurker and new trailer sailer owner, so thought it was about time I introduced myself.

I can't remember ever not having at least one boat in the family, however other than some time as crew on a Noelex 30, trailer sailers are a new breed and I'm looking forward to learning more.

Our newly acquired Binks25 seems in fairly good condition, although she is in need of a cosmetic refresh. Haven't had her on the water yet, but a trial mast raising quickly convinced me that there has to be a better way than the current "Armstrong" method, so today's job was constructing a gin pole etc and we'll try again tomorrow.

Further updates follow in due course.
Last edited by carling on May 16th, '20, 23:00, edited 1 time in total.

zebedee
Admiral

Post by zebedee » May 16th, '20, 22:48

Mast raising on the bigger boats can be rather intimidating!
A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.

Wanton
Yachtmaster

Post by Wanton » May 16th, '20, 23:12

Welcome Carling. Enjoy your boat and the challenges.
Ed
Wanton C22/110
All I wanna do is sail
http://www.baysidetrailableyachtclub.com

zebedee
Admiral

Post by zebedee » May 16th, '20, 23:18

Wanton owns a Careel 22 with a lamp-post of a mast! 8- )
A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.

Return to “Applying for Membership & Feedback”