Having problems joining TSP or want to post some feedback?
This is the place to do it.
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie » Mar 31st, '11, 11:07

I cannot add an avatar on this new forum , the icon is dulled, any clues?

Ozzie

Re: Avatar

Post by Ozzie » Apr 1st, '11, 21:04

Admins... All is well, was a local problem . I though it may have been a "permissions" setting on the new forum and wanted to check. ta

Berny
Able Skipper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Berny » Jan 11th, '15, 19:37

I don't seem to be able find info on adding an avatar?? And posting pics is still beyond my 'old person' capabilities nso far. :-(
Must think about that, but later cause I'm sailing this-arvo. ;-)

zebedee
Admiral

Post by zebedee » Jan 12th, '15, 00:24

The section you need is How to do stuff - Quotes, Editing, Deleting etc

This thread addresses avatars.

To understand how to include images in posts, first you need to understand that there are two very different ways to do this.

You can "attach" an image to a post; when you do this you upload an image from your own hard drive to the TSP website and it is associated with the particular post and stored at TSP. See the "Upload attachment" section at the bottom of the screen when you are preparing a post.

Alternatively (and preferably) you can place a tag in a post which points to an image somewhere else on the internet.

When you use the image tags, the post is displayed, the image is fetched directly from the source by the reader's web browser and placed in the text where the tag calls for it. The image is not actually on TSP, just the tag saying "go fetch this image and place it here in the text".

This lets you display images from elsewhere, but remember, someone is paying to host those images, so unless it's your own image, it's generally good practice to provide a link to sites whose images you use.

For example, in a discussion about anchors, you might include an image of a new fangled "Better mousetrap brand anchor" from their website. As long as you link to their website, bringing them interested traffic, they are unlikely to object to their images and bandwidth being used.

And after all, it's pretty frustrating when people post about their brilliant "Rats too!" brand anchor, without including a link for more information!

There are various ways to get your own images hosted somewhere so you can insert markers for them in your posts. I own my own domain name and use that, so I'm actually not very familiar with image hosting websites, but doubtless someone else will suggest suitable sites!
A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.

Berny
Able Skipper

Post by Berny » Jan 12th, '15, 21:51

Tnx for the info. Now I need to put it to good use.
There should be a pic in this if things went ok;

No such luck!!!

MoodyBlue
Administrator

Post by MoodyBlue » Jan 12th, '15, 22:30

Berny,
E-mail me a pic that you want to use and I'll have a play.

Jeff
TSP Administrator moodyblue933@hotmail.com
"There is no perfect boat. There are only those shaded to your preferences.":-)

Berny
Able Skipper

Post by Berny » Jan 13th, '15, 09:24

Sent you an email.

Return to “Applying for Membership & Feedback”