new member guzzis3, maxi trailerables ?

Having problems joining TSP or want to post some feedback?
This is the place to do it.
olddog642
Midshipman
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: new member guzzis3, maxi trailerables ?

Post by olddog642 » May 24th, '16, 22:33

guzzis3 wrote:
olddog642 wrote:Hi Guzzi3
I thought I might jump in here and add my bit to the subject of towing and what you said about your tow bar capacity.

The specs for an AU ute state a legal maximum tow weight of 2050kg which should be okay for a lot of trailer sailers but some of the larger ones will weight lots more than that

Cheers and happy hunting
Hylton
Where did you find that specification ? According to my literature the regular towpack is 1600 and the HD towpack is 2300. Both are for autos, manual cars are much less.

And thank you for the comment :)
No drama the info I had came from Red Book but I also remember being concerned about the weight allowance when I had my AU Marlin and hauling a dual axle trailer around with all my steely gear big Lincoln welder with an old 250 cross flow engine power unit even though my trailer was braked it still took some pulling up.
Cheers
hylton
The older you get, the bumpier the road becomes.

guzzis3
Able Skipper

Post by guzzis3 » May 25th, '16, 17:02

I just rechecked my owners manual. It's definitely 2300. Wouldn't be the first time red book was wrong :)

Thank you for the consideration.

Mojo
Able Skipper
Has thanked: 0

Post by Mojo » May 25th, '16, 22:47

They recommend towing in 3rd gear for the autos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

guzzis3
Able Skipper

Post by guzzis3 » Jul 15th, '17, 15:26

Hi all,

So I've been reading reading trying to find out something about the maxi trailerables. I built a list from threads here (included at bottom), then tried to pair down the list.

The one I am most familiar with is the RL28, so everything gets compared to that. RL28s with no trailer seem to ask in the teens with boats on good trailers asking about mid 20s, so that is the budget.

What I would like to know is how the other boats on the first half of this list compare ? What particular advantages or disadvantages have they compared to the RL28 ?

Do they all have balsa cored decks ? do any have balsa in the hulls ? (hate balsa, yep I know it's stiff but if it's breached..)

I need it be be under 2300 kg on the trailer. That can involve taking stuff off and loading it once it's in the water.

I prefer outboards to diesels. Cheaper maintenance and replacement, and I don't run the engine enough to warrant the fuel savings.

My priority is accommodations and seaworthiness over performance but it shouldn't sail like a pig.

The prices are just the cheapest I could find. Some have trailers some not, some are better than others.

I should have done this last year before asking the same dumb question over. I did try but I'm really hopeless at searching and this has taken me days....

Any thoughts appreciated.

Southcoast 25 $12500 Based on Roberts 25, so probably slow.

Boomaroo/catalina 25 $15000 looks slow. head/locker aft of V berth easy to enclose, galley aft, stub keel so high on trailer

RL28 $15000

Seaway Elite/787/25. 25 $6900 elite $17000 787 none advertised. Really like the layout. Don't know about headroom over the aft bunk ? Board up the forepeak and forget about a standing shower, put in a bath! with jets! Mmmm, bubbles.... :D It's not clear to me whether the early boats had the aft double or not ? but I'm not that keen on the underslung rudder, looks like it might be a problem on the trailer ? Looks like it could be a tad faster ?

Noelex 25 Towing weight 1780kg, head behind V berth, not enclosed. Pop top. Probably smaller ? $18850

Coronet or Sunbird 25 Lots of mentions on the forum. Seems to be regarded as seaworthy and roomy but heavy ? 19000

Sabre 25 enclosed head aft of V berth. looks slow roomy, poptop. Probably nicer to sail than the boomaroo and southcoast ? $19500

Farr 750 Similar layout but looks like lower headroom, probably faster ? $20000

Flinders 7.8 Not much about them ? $24900

Magnum 8.5 too heavy 3t on trailer, well supported by club. $25000

Careel/Sonata 26 $27500,some with no heads area...

Ross 780 - E $36000

Farr/Noelex B30 - $38000

Austral 8 Clubman $45000

zebedee
Admiral

Post by zebedee » Jul 15th, '17, 17:27

A Noelex at 1780kg towing weight is a big ask (or maybe it's a small ask?), but getting one under 2300kg towing weight is definitely do-able. Under 2000kg would definitely require discipline when fitting out and loading.
A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.

PaulS
Able Skipper

Post by PaulS » Jul 15th, '17, 18:24

INMA wrote:I've been on a few yachts with enclosed heads. Never has the walls and door provided privacy on a yacht.

There are no secrets on a yacht, just an illusion of privacy.
that's what a cabin radio is for :)

(I know this post is from last year)
BETTER DROWNED THAN DUFFERS IF NOT DUFFERS WON'T DROWN
South Gippsland Victoria

guzzis3
Able Skipper

Post by guzzis3 » Jul 16th, '17, 11:32

zebedee wrote:A Noelex at 1780kg towing weight is a big ask (or maybe it's a small ask?), but getting one under 2300kg towing weight is definitely do-able. Under 2000kg would definitely require discipline when fitting out and loading.
Sigh. I typed up a reply to this then managed to lose it.

The figures I've quoted are from various sites. I think that and the magnum trailer weights are from their respective association pages.

My plan, such as it is, is to only trailer to my local ramp 3 kms away. Despite this of course I have to be legal. Work at the ramp won't be a problem. The park is quiet even on weekends and when I'll be fiddling about it'll be pretty much deserted. This also has the advantage of me being able to take the car and tailer home, wash it down and cycle back to the boat, so everything will be secure while I'm gone.

My main concern with the RL is the 1 1/2 V berth. Real pity they couldn't be bothered making it a symmetrical double. My desire for headroom and enclosure was mainly for a stand up shower when washing outdoors isn't a good option. Headroom also makes getting about below at anchor a bit easier. I don't sail at night. The boat is for sailing during the day, in good weather. At night at a safe anchorage it becomes a caravan.. That's the plan anyway.

As always thank you for the comments.

Return to “Applying for Membership & Feedback”