New Members Introductions

Having problems joining TSP or want to post some feedback?
This is the place to do it.
shwell
Midshipman

Re: New Members Introductions

Post by shwell »

Hello I'm Michael, stepping off OTB catamarans on to a Griffen 17. I live in Bittern so Westernport are home waters. Very much looking forward to adventuring, navigating, fishing, camp cooking and star gazing at night. Will look at racing the Griffen, although I've just noticed there's no traveller... maybe not a racing boat haha.
Griffen TS 17 #134 "Birdman"
Yachtseabreeze
Midshipman

Post by Yachtseabreeze »

Lovely to be a new member on TSP
So I bought Iced Mocha - a repainted Comet 6 metre Trailer sailer.
What a surprise package for me as:
The railing caught my leg between boat and dock and almost killed me when the boat moved. I now make a point of feet being waterside of railings when boarding disembarking or moving forward or aft.
Forward Genoa not hanked; (now fixed). JIb placed on furler in cutter position.
Outboard motor reverse linkage busted; ( now replaced). Now using a 15 hp to allow additional power for overcoming tidal flows and sweeping water in river bar entrances. (thankyou for the advice of other trailer sailers about Lakes entrance and Bermagui).
Centreboard cable snapped/frayed; (now modified with rope). Also the cable always allowed for the centreboard to drop an inch on the trailer which meant that the boat would not slide off. I ground out a bigger retriever hole in the winch to fix the problem.
Centreboard was almost permanently stuck due to thick 5mm wet sand caught between boat and plate. Now fixed)
Electric winch was a problem ( moving batteries around) so I decided to revert to manual winch ( now fixed).
Mast base broke during lowering (Now fixed). I fibre-glassed the base fitting with an Inch of glass around the fitting. I now use a 1.2 metre gin stick for raising and lowing mast (thanks for the forum on Gin sticks).
Forstay turnbuckle came off during following breeze and seaway.( now fixed). The problem was that when the wire luff Genoa took all the load on a run the forestay became loose and the fitting shook out. Problem fixed by putting hanks on genoa to forstay.( a $ 60 product available from Miller and Whitworth).
Metho stove caught fire and fell apart-(threw it away). I now use a canister outside of cabin and am aware of associated fire risk.
Internal wiring was ughhh (ngoing ughh)
Mismatched cushioning in cabin. (ongoing and undecided about redecorating cabin at the moment))
So I have had some frustrating days on the boat. However now that everything is becoming shipshape, Iced Mocha is showing her beauty and I am loving her very much.
I am enjoying cooking with dehydrated peas and potato mash, canned fruit, packaged coffee and cake. Life is good as I also carry a bottle of rum.
So the voyages begin at ‘Port of Sale’ and continue all the way up to Torres Strait if I have my way. I would even consider trying for Indonesia eventually. If there are others out there that want adventure please meet me sometime in the 2023 future around Cardwell and we can travel north in company. Many thanks to Aesther and others for your previous inputs about Iced Mocha.
zebedee
Admiral

Post by zebedee »

Yachtseabreeze wrote: Feb 8th, '22, 13:24The railing caught my leg between boat and dock and almost killed me when the boat moved. I now make a point of feet being waterside of railings when boarding disembarking or moving forward or aft.
If you're with a couple of suburbs of me you may have heard my cry of horror as I read that... On New Years Day 2020 I stepped off my boat onto the wharf at Paynesville and missed. I did a quite spectacular amount of damage to myself without breaking the skin, the detailed ultrasound report was not for the squeamish. What's more it was a repeat of a very similar injury I'd done to the same leg two years earlier, though not with a boat. My female GP gave me a severe "mum" look when she got the report (ordered by one of her colleagues)!

As for the rest, it looks like you've packed the first couple of years worth of learning disasters into the first month, so as long as you were paying attention to the lessons, the next 23 months should be smooth sailing, right? Right?!?!

Just keep telling yourself, you're having fun!
A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.
eskutas
Midshipman

Post by eskutas »

Hi all,
Just registered and very pleased to be the new owner of Castle 650 #122. My wife and I are first-time yacht owners and joined our local club (MYC) about 12 months ago with the aim of getting some experience as crew for some of the locals. The Castle became available and looks like the ideal way to gain the experience we need as we look to our future sailing endeavors (and eventual retirement from the daily grind :D ). We are based in Devonport TAS and look forward to a mix of local racing and eventual extended trips in some of the magnificent waterways south of Hobart and around the state.

Cheers
Steve
Castle 650 #122 "Carrie" (formerly Caz)
bachus
Yachtmaster

Post by bachus »

Welcome.
Only if you are not aware - the Castle has quite a large potential sail area for the hull size and things can get "interesting" and the admiral may not be impressed. This is not a tenable situation for future happiness at sea. I suggest taking it real easy at first - learn to reef the main and use a small jib. If teaching my grandmother to suck eggs apologies :-)

I should add however - you will have sooo much fun in the Castle.
Jim
Castle 650 #96. Mystic.
Towing with Ford Territory SZII TX AWD
Aquila_audax
Midshipman

Post by Aquila_audax »

Hi all. :wave:

I'm a new member of this terrific Trailer Sailer forum. Located in NE NSW. I own an Sonata 7 which at the moment I'm giving a hull refresh, will do a few upgrades, safety fixes and add some personal touches. I may ask a few questions if you'll don't mind, in the process of my endeavours.

Aquila :D
Sonata 7, Yamaha 8HP Longshaft.
MoodyBlue
Administrator

Post by MoodyBlue »

Welcome to our humble site Aquila,

I own a Sonata 26 (1988 model) reputedly to be the second last genuine S26 built.
"There is no perfect boat. There are only those shaded to your preferences.":-)
Aquila_audax
Midshipman

Post by Aquila_audax »

Thank you MB. I've occasionally browsed here before, lots of interesting discussions and welcoming people to the interest of trailer sailers. Your Sonata 26, terrific. They appear a much more spacious yacht given only 3ft extra length than my Sonata 7. Could easily fabricate a shower/toilet space in there, making it a worthy "nomadic" yacht, no need to add the "grey". ;-) I'd like to do some travelling when I have my Sonata back on the trailer. I'm not getting a fair run of dry weather, to do boat work, it's raining again this morning.
Tezza
Able Skipper

Re: New Members Introductionso

Post by Tezza »

Hey Welcome Aquila ,I have a Sonata 6 which I sail solo weekly if possible up on the GC. Love it.
Actually when I bought her I was assured she was young and would grow into a 7 and then 8 but they lied! .
Sonata 6 Mango
Aquila_audax
Midshipman

Post by Aquila_audax »

That's funny :lol: Though you probably rather she retain her youth! Sonata 6, nice yacht. Thank you Tezza, for your welcoming. Lots of wonderful sailing around the GC, that's terrific you're able to sail regularly. Do you have a particular favourite sailing area there?
Tezza
Able Skipper

Post by Tezza »

I am permanently moored in the Northern GC and depending on the wind have the option of sailing north up the main channel around the Islands and further into the Southern reaches of Moreton Bay or heading the other way past Jacobs Well to the Broadwater and either sailing north up to Jumpin Pin and up Canaipa Passage or down through Tipplers Passage . I can also head south down broadwater past couran cove and return. In some areas the tide runs pretty fast so going one way you can be sailing at 8 kn SOG and turn around and be heeled over in a brisk breeze and only doing 3 kn SOG but hey its all about the sailing . Having a swing keel is a big plus as if I hit a sandbank I just lift keel and sail away or beaching on South Stradbroke Island for a bit of a rest and coffee .
CA07EC09-84D7-4AE3-866C-F1380C59DE7B.jpeg
Sonata 6 Mango
rseydler
Yachtmaster

Post by rseydler »

That's a change from your daughter's pontoon. Did she suffer badly with the flood?
Tezza
Able Skipper

Post by Tezza »

rseydler wrote: Apr 25th, '22, 11:17 That's a change from your daughter's pontoon. Did she suffer badly with the flood?
Ha sure is .And I have to pay! The arm I am on is an older one and tucked away. It is mainly occupied by old farts like me so pretty friendly. The guy I share the pen with is a live aboard so keeps on eye on my boat . Daughter bought a bigger boat and kicked me off. Their property does not suffer from floods excepting the roads can be cut off . Actually they had cruised down to Pittwater and had to leave their boat down there for a month. They made a three day dash back a couple of weeks ago.
Sonata 6 Mango
Aquila_audax
Midshipman

Post by Aquila_audax »

Thanks Tezza for describing your sailing. I put those locations in a map, you have so many interesting areas of waterways to adventure around.

Return to “Applying for Membership & Feedback”