New Members Introductions

Having problems joining TSP or want to post some feedback?
This is the place to do it.
carling
Midshipman

Re: New Members Introductions

Post by carling » May 17th, '20, 09:44

Yip, I may only be a 95kg weakling, but I deal with the fallout from all too many "she'll be right" decisions to be comfortable with a situation where a minor slip on deck could escalate into a right military muddle. In my experience, toppling objects have an uncanny ability to seek out the most precious and delicate landing spot within range.

Wanton
Yachtmaster

Post by Wanton » May 17th, '20, 10:47

Well you have a 20 kg advantage on me then. You will find some good mast raising ideas on TSP and also on my club's web site under safety ideas. If there is a Bings 25 website you may find more ideas there.

Good luck and I am almost certain if you ask questions here you will get lots of good help.
Ed
Wanton C22/110
All I wanna do is sail
http://www.baysidetrailableyachtclub.com

koalasailor
Midshipman
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by koalasailor » Jul 5th, '20, 17:31

Hi all!

I bought an 36' sailboat just before coronavirus. I'd been doing some lessons at the local yacht Club and decided to take the plunge. So far all I've done is spent money fixing the anchor winch and some other bits and bobs, really looking forward to getting out there this summer.

Wanton
Yachtmaster

Post by Wanton » Jul 5th, '20, 17:43

:shock: :twisted: What kind of car do you tow it with? Just kidding. Welcome to the forum; "Seek and ye shall find, Ask and you'll get an avalanche of ideas."
Ed
Wanton C22/110
All I wanna do is sail

Furstin
Yachtmaster

Post by Furstin » Jul 5th, '20, 20:29

Welcome, there is a stagnant keel boat section, but a few lurkers. We went from a 38ft to 24ft just before covid, which would seem a good choice at the time!
What boat? Sc36?

Sent from my SM-A705YN using Tapatalk

MargGannet
Yachtmaster

Post by MargGannet » Jul 6th, '20, 09:38

Welcome! I'm another lurking keel boat owner with a 30 ft Cavalier at Williamstown. Some winter days are glorious if maybe light. Days like today - wet - maybe not so much!
Marg
Balderdash Cavalier 30
LC 80 series
Bayswater North, Vic

thesmoo
Midshipman

Post by thesmoo » Aug 19th, '20, 17:39

Well after wanting a trailer sailer for a long time I bit the bullet and bought one. Electrical Engineer by trade and former radio fitter/mechanic so pretty handy with that side of things. 22 years in the Navy but I wasn't involved in any of the navigation or driving bit. Experience is limited to several months racing Tasars as a crew member off mordialloc in the early 90's. I loved it then but family and work got in the way and here I am 27 years later.

An avid fisher, camper I enjoy the outdoors. Would like to step up to bigger boats one day but figure this is the best way to get started. They seem so versatile and I like the opportunity to 'camp' on them. Now just need to wait until vic restrictions are lifted so I can go and pick up my 'new' boat.. Look forward to picking your brains... Dan

thesmoo
Midshipman

Post by thesmoo » Aug 19th, '20, 17:39

Well after wanting a trailer sailer for a long time I bit the bullet and bought one. Electrical Engineer by trade and former radio fitter/mechanic so pretty handy with that side of things. 22 years in the Navy but I wasn't involved in any of the navigation or driving bit. Experience is limited to several months racing Tasars as a crew member off mordialloc in the early 90's. I loved it then but family and work got in the way and here I am 27 years later.

An avid fisher, camper I enjoy the outdoors. Would like to step up to bigger boats one day but figure this is the best way to get started. They seem so versatile and I like the opportunity to 'camp' on them. Now just need to wait until vic restrictions are lifted so I can go and pick up my 'new' boat.. Look forward to picking your brains... Dan

bachus
Yachtmaster

Post by bachus » Aug 19th, '20, 17:47

Welcome. You can see what I sail from my signature :-)
Jim
Castle 650 #96. Mystic.
Tow hack: Ford Territory TX SZ MkII Auto AWD

thesmoo
Midshipman

Post by thesmoo » Aug 19th, '20, 18:08

Well yes I have noticed! Well things going to plan, my future boat is only 6 builds younger than yours so there shouldn't be many differences. Im anticipating a bit of work and some investment in getting things up to scratch but am not worried about that. I figure that's boat ownership. You put things in the water, they need work. Im actually looking forward to the tinkering and farkling. Ill be sure to seek your (and others) advice.. I may even be able to help out with some of the "Electrickery" lol...

bachus
Yachtmaster

Post by bachus » Aug 19th, '20, 18:23

She does look to be in good condition from the photos.
Jim
Castle 650 #96. Mystic.
Tow hack: Ford Territory TX SZ MkII Auto AWD

thesmoo
Midshipman

Post by thesmoo » Aug 19th, '20, 18:30

Well apparently its only the second owner. The first one used it on and off, but the second owner hardly used it at all.. We will see.. but yes looks in reasonable condition. I have the high res photos and it looks really straight and clean. Time will tell.

Jengo
Midshipman

Post by Jengo » Sep 23rd, '20, 17:59

G’day TSP people,
As a long-term lurker of this forum, I thought it high time I joined and contributed something to the site, instead of looking over Davidjohn’s shoulder at his computer screen.
A little about myself in relation to being a member of TSP and how I will fit in on this web-site:
I’m co-owner of Hartley TS 18 Hobbit and enjoy cruising with Davidjohn even though he sometimes refers to me as Mrs Hobbit.
On the odd occasion, he can escape to the Lakes without me, but it’s not very often, as I quite enjoy the chance to get out on the water and sail the briny or freshwater deeps as much as he does.
My favourite cruising waters are The Gippsland Lakes and Westernport and have spent many hours on and in the respective waters with Davidjohn.
I like to take my drawing stuff and watercolour paints when we go out, and enjoy journalling our cruising trips with an old-fashioned method, by using, wait for it, paper.
Did I just hear someone Gasp?!!!!!!!
I also love taking a go-pro out with us and obtain, when it’s not blowing a gale, some interesting footage to create small movies. Davidjohn is too busy sailing to take an interest in making movies, so I’m happy doing my thing on the “Hobbit” whilst he enjoys tweaking the sails to make the boat sail better.
I’m not going to bore you all with my lack of technical knowledge, there’s enough of you on this site who have way more experience and knowledge than me to answer other Noobies questions. I will leave that part of the joy of TSP to youse peoples, but no promises.
I will however, endeavor to share our trips with drawings, sketches and the rough watercolour pictures I enjoy creating and maybe a movie or two. It might be interesting for people to see trailer sailing in a “yarty” perspective. (once we’re out of lockdown that is)
Cheers for now
Jengo
Hartley TS 21 &quot;Pterodactyl&quot; sailing Lake Victoria 2011<br />A5 Watercolour painting by Jennifer Goard 2018
Hartley TS 21 "Pterodactyl" sailing Lake Victoria 2011
A5 Watercolour painting by Jennifer Goard 2018

Johny
Inshore Skipper

Post by Johny » Sep 23rd, '20, 18:04

Wow, welcome Jengo. It'll be great to get an artistic take on sailing. Can't wait to get back to the lakes.
Jarcat 6, Kismet. 6M Catamaran. 9.8HP 2 Stroke Tohatsu.
Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV tow car.
AVAN Cruiseliner land yacht.
https://jarcat6.blogspot.com.au/

Bazzington
Midshipman

Post by Bazzington » Oct 19th, '20, 23:37

Hi everyone.

I'm a new poster to the forum but I've spent a quite bit of time reading and learning over the past few months, from the many great contributors.

In truth I've only ever sailed once in a dingy and I didn't have a clue what l was doing. Lately though for some unknown reason I've felt strongly compelled to feel the freedom of roaming, propelled only by wind in a sail. Maybe its COVID sending me mad or maybe its just my love of exploring and travel but I can't switch off the urge.

I'm 41 years old with a fantastic wife and two kids, 11 and 13 years old who share my love of the outdoors, thankfully. So I'm ideally looking at buying a 20-24 foot TS that will sleep the family for weekends and maybe a little longer and take us to locations like Port Phillip Bay, the Coorong, Gippsland Lakes and Morton Bay - Hervey Bay regions once we have some experience.

I know 20-24 foot isn't a roomy TS for the family but we're close and used to camping together in a small tent so I think we're up for it. Looking at keeping weight low too so the 80 series cruiser won't be too slow, hahaha.

The one catch in all this is, having not really sailed before I'm not actually sure we as a family will enjoy sailing as much as l hope. So my hope is that by joining the forum that someone with a bit of experience might take us under their wing (sail) and show us what we've been missing out on.

Cheers.
Bazzington
New to sailing hopefully in the Geelong area, Victoria
Looking for Boomerang, Careel 22, Sunmaid or RL24

LC 80 - Naturally aspirated diesel

Peter Yates
Admiral

Post by Peter Yates » Oct 20th, '20, 07:12

Welcome Bazz,
I had a similar illogical urge which coincided with the arrival of my first daughter over 40 years ago. I went to the Melbourne Boat Show and came away with a little sailing dinghy. My goal was the same as yours, to teach myself to sail and then maybe get the family involved.

Sadly circumstances intervened and it didn't really happen. We lived too far from the water and some family members got sick just at the thought of going on a boat!

Despite that, my wife and I still own a small TS and enjoy daysailing on the Gippsland Lakes.

Just a couple of comments which will invite some disagreement but FWIW:

Of the TS you mentioned, the RL24, whilst being a fine boat, is quite small inside and is more like an 18 footer in that regard. People have said that an Ultimate 18 has more room. It is also probably the tippiest of the TS, so not ideal for any nervous family members.

My other comment is that I always found Port Phillip to be less than ideal in that there is very little shelter if the wind gets up. I far preferred the Gippsland Lakes. But they are far away. Getting the boat down to Newport or St Kilda, rigging it, launching it etc. consumed hours and then after a sail, another saga getting the boat back home all put me off too much day-sailing on a TS.

After many years, my best solution was to have a 25 footer in mast up storage on the Gippsland Lakes. No towing, no rigging and a big, comfy boat complete with toilet etc.. But the drawback there is that you are stuck at the one sailing venue, albeit a great venue!

So I would suggest hiring a yacht on the Gippsland Lakes to see how your family enjoy a few nights aboard. Not cheap but might be worth it. Obviously if a TS person can take you all aboard, that would be great too, but 4 adult sized passengers might be a crowd on most TS.

Good luck!
Peter Y

Investigator 563 "Tricksy"

Tow car - Ford Territory 2WD diesel.

Bazzington
Midshipman

Post by Bazzington » Oct 20th, '20, 23:08

Thanks Peter for the comments and advice. l have much to learn.
Bazzington
New to sailing hopefully in the Geelong area, Victoria
Looking for Boomerang, Careel 22, Sunmaid or RL24

LC 80 - Naturally aspirated diesel

MoodyBlue
Administrator

Post by MoodyBlue » Oct 21st, '20, 09:36

Bazz,
Nothing wrong with getting to know the people at Geelong Trailables. They have a club house at St Helens harbour.

The ramps at St Helens are IMHO second to none in Port Phillip.

St Helens by the way is an EXCELLENT location for day sails and general pottering around with plenty of spots to visit, like Lagoon Yacht Club.

It's also not far to go to Port Arlington and back, even an overnight stay there as there are a variety of eateries from fish & chips to big steaks at the restaurant, or pub.

I think (tongue in cheek) too many of us are spoiled by Gippsland lakes, when Geelong end of the bay has so much to offer, particularly when the winds come from the West that end of the bay is a lot more sheltered.

As to RL24's I think they are not a learners boat. They are an overgrown skiff with small cabin and require an agile crew to keep them upright. Yes they go fast, but a lot have a trapeze to help keep them upright, so once again, NOT for learners.
"There is no perfect boat. There are only those shaded to your preferences.":-)

Wanton
Yachtmaster

Post by Wanton » Oct 21st, '20, 11:07

MoodyBlue wrote:
Oct 21st, '20, 09:36
Bazz,
Nothing wrong with getting to know the people at Geelong Trailables. They have a club house at St Helens harbour.

St Helens by the way is an EXCELLENT location for day sails and general pottering around with plenty of spots to visit, like Lagoon Yacht Club.

It's also not far to go to Port Arlington and back, even an overnight stay there as there are a variety of eateries from fish & chips to big steaks at the restaurant, or pub.

I think (tongue in cheek) too many of us are spoiled by Gippsland lakes, when Geelong end of the bay has so much to offer, particularly when the winds come from the West that end of the bay is a lot more sheltered.

As to RL24's I think they are not a learners boat. They are an overgrown skiff with small cabin and require an agile crew to keep them upright. Yes they go fast, but a lot have a trapeze to help keep them upright, so once again, NOT for learners.

Welcome to the soup Bazz. Happy to agree with MoodyBlue, St Helens is a great location and launch ramp, the Geelong Volunteer Marine Rescue also has their club rooms there. You may even spend a night or two at the free marina there so your family will get the feel of sleeping and general living on the boat. The Geelong Traiable Yacht Club (http://www.gtyc.com.au/) is also located at St Helens and I am sure there will be people there to show you the ropes and welcome you to the sport/passtime of TS sailing. Sailing out of StHelens/Geelong is also very good as described by MoodyBlue. We are a bit spoiled by the Gippsland lakes, but Port Phillip Bay is a great location to sail. Take your time to sail in the general area and gain experience. You can venture further after you gain confidence and experience in different conditions under your belt. Going out with the GTYC is a jgood and safe way to learn. My club now sails around the bay every January. It is a great adventure taking us up to 8 days, but mostly less than that. We call it the Around the Bay in 8 days. It is a lot of fun, worth doing with adequate planning after a bit of experience sailing. The bay is not shy to throw a challeng or two so only attempt this after a couple of years experience and when you get confidence in youn new boat. Check this site for TS's for sale, it presents a good summary of what on the market.
Ed
Wanton C22/110
All I wanna do is sail

Wanton
Yachtmaster

Post by Wanton » Oct 21st, '20, 11:13

MoodyBlue wrote:
Oct 21st, '20, 09:36
Bazz,

Welcome to the soup Bazz. Happy to agree with MoodyBlue, St Helens is a great location and launch ramp, the Geelong Volunteer Marine Rescue also has their club rooms there. You may even spend a night or two at the free marina there so your family will get the feel of sleeping and general living on the boat. The Geelong Trailable Yacht Club (http://www.gtyc.com.au/) is also located at St Helens and I am sure there will be people there to show you the ropes and welcome you to the sport/pastime of TS sailing. Sailing out of St. Helens/Geelong is also very good as described by MoodyBlue. We are a bit spoiled by the Gippsland lakes, but Port Phillip Bay is a great location to sail. Take your time to sail in the general area and gain experience. You can venture further after you gain confidence and experience in different conditions under your belt. Going out with the GTYC is a good and safe way to learn.

My club now sails around the bay every January. It is a great adventure taking us up to 8 days, but mostly less than that. We call it the Around the Bay in 8 days Cruise. It is a lot of fun, worth doing with adequate planning after a bit of experience sailing. The bay is not shy to throw a challenge or two so only attempt this after a couple of years’ experience and when you get confidence in your new boat. Check this site for TS's for sale, it presents a good summary of what on the market.

I do agree with the comments above the RL24 is a very fast boat, built for speed not comfort and, in my opinion, it is not for beginners. Because they are built light and for speed, they are tippy and may frighten any new comer who may not have been too keen to get on a boat in the first place. PS: all Ts's heal when under way, but some are more robust in holding that angle in comfort without scaring the daylights out of your better half and family. The thing with sailing is that it has to be fun for all not just the sailor. PS: One word of advice. Make sure your better half is involved in the choice of boat. She'll be happy and you will get to sail more often. Good luck
Ed
Wanton C22/110
All I wanna do is sail

zebedee
Admiral

Post by zebedee » Oct 21st, '20, 14:30

Bazzington wrote:
Oct 19th, '20, 23:37
The one catch in all this is, having not really sailed before I'm not actually sure we as a family will enjoy sailing as much as l hope. So my hope is that by joining the forum that someone with a bit of experience might take us under their wing (sail) and show us what we've been missing out on.
Once you've found a suitable boat, for your very first outing consider launching at Newport and motoring up the Yarra or the Maribyrnong with no mast. (Guide at the link)

This will help get your non-sailers comfortable with being on the boat and with it moving about beneath them, while there is always land within easy swimming distance (purely psychological, nobody's going for a swim!) and while there is stuff to see. There are a number of public jetties on both rivers, so places you can get off and have a walk about.

A guaranteed feel good day trip to get them started on a positive note, it will also give you a chance to get a feel for motoring the boat before add more complications.
A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.

Johny
Inshore Skipper

Post by Johny » Oct 21st, '20, 14:46

That was our first boat outing at the advice from this forum. Very successful. We went all the way to Herring Island (Yarra). A bit of a long day but still a good memory for all aboard.
Jarcat 6, Kismet. 6M Catamaran. 9.8HP 2 Stroke Tohatsu.
Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV tow car.
AVAN Cruiseliner land yacht.
https://jarcat6.blogspot.com.au/

Return to “Applying for Membership & Feedback”