New Members Introductions

Having problems joining TSP or want to post some feedback?
This is the place to do it.
carling
Midshipman

Re: New Members Introductions

Post by carling » May 17th, '20, 09:44

Yip, I may only be a 95kg weakling, but I deal with the fallout from all too many "she'll be right" decisions to be comfortable with a situation where a minor slip on deck could escalate into a right military muddle. In my experience, toppling objects have an uncanny ability to seek out the most precious and delicate landing spot within range.

Wanton
Yachtmaster

Post by Wanton » May 17th, '20, 10:47

Well you have a 20 kg advantage on me then. You will find some good mast raising ideas on TSP and also on my club's web site under safety ideas. If there is a Bings 25 website you may find more ideas there.

Good luck and I am almost certain if you ask questions here you will get lots of good help.
Ed
Wanton C22/110
All I wanna do is sail
http://www.baysidetrailableyachtclub.com

koalasailor
Midshipman
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by koalasailor » Jul 5th, '20, 17:31

Hi all!

I bought an 36' sailboat just before coronavirus. I'd been doing some lessons at the local yacht Club and decided to take the plunge. So far all I've done is spent money fixing the anchor winch and some other bits and bobs, really looking forward to getting out there this summer.

Wanton
Yachtmaster

Post by Wanton » Jul 5th, '20, 17:43

:shock: :twisted: What kind of car do you tow it with? Just kidding. Welcome to the forum; "Seek and ye shall find, Ask and you'll get an avalanche of ideas."
Ed
Wanton C22/110
All I wanna do is sail
http://www.baysidetrailableyachtclub.com

Furstin
Yachtmaster

Post by Furstin » Jul 5th, '20, 20:29

Welcome, there is a stagnant keel boat section, but a few lurkers. We went from a 38ft to 24ft just before covid, which would seem a good choice at the time!
What boat? Sc36?

Sent from my SM-A705YN using Tapatalk

MargGannet
Yachtmaster

Post by MargGannet » Jul 6th, '20, 09:38

Welcome! I'm another lurking keel boat owner with a 30 ft Cavalier at Williamstown. Some winter days are glorious if maybe light. Days like today - wet - maybe not so much!
Marg
Balderdash Cavalier 30
LC 80 series
Bayswater North, Vic

thesmoo
Midshipman

Post by thesmoo » Aug 19th, '20, 17:39

Well after wanting a trailer sailer for a long time I bit the bullet and bought one. Electrical Engineer by trade and former radio fitter/mechanic so pretty handy with that side of things. 22 years in the Navy but I wasn't involved in any of the navigation or driving bit. Experience is limited to several months racing Tasars as a crew member off mordialloc in the early 90's. I loved it then but family and work got in the way and here I am 27 years later.

An avid fisher, camper I enjoy the outdoors. Would like to step up to bigger boats one day but figure this is the best way to get started. They seem so versatile and I like the opportunity to 'camp' on them. Now just need to wait until vic restrictions are lifted so I can go and pick up my 'new' boat.. Look forward to picking your brains... Dan

thesmoo
Midshipman

Post by thesmoo » Aug 19th, '20, 17:39

Well after wanting a trailer sailer for a long time I bit the bullet and bought one. Electrical Engineer by trade and former radio fitter/mechanic so pretty handy with that side of things. 22 years in the Navy but I wasn't involved in any of the navigation or driving bit. Experience is limited to several months racing Tasars as a crew member off mordialloc in the early 90's. I loved it then but family and work got in the way and here I am 27 years later.

An avid fisher, camper I enjoy the outdoors. Would like to step up to bigger boats one day but figure this is the best way to get started. They seem so versatile and I like the opportunity to 'camp' on them. Now just need to wait until vic restrictions are lifted so I can go and pick up my 'new' boat.. Look forward to picking your brains... Dan

bachus
Yachtmaster

Post by bachus » Aug 19th, '20, 17:47

Welcome. You can see what I sail from my signature :-)
Jim
Castle 650 #96. Mystic.
Tow hack: Ford Territory TX SZ MkII Auto AWD

thesmoo
Midshipman

Post by thesmoo » Aug 19th, '20, 18:08

Well yes I have noticed! Well things going to plan, my future boat is only 6 builds younger than yours so there shouldn't be many differences. Im anticipating a bit of work and some investment in getting things up to scratch but am not worried about that. I figure that's boat ownership. You put things in the water, they need work. Im actually looking forward to the tinkering and farkling. Ill be sure to seek your (and others) advice.. I may even be able to help out with some of the "Electrickery" lol...

bachus
Yachtmaster

Post by bachus » Aug 19th, '20, 18:23

She does look to be in good condition from the photos.
Jim
Castle 650 #96. Mystic.
Tow hack: Ford Territory TX SZ MkII Auto AWD

thesmoo
Midshipman

Post by thesmoo » Aug 19th, '20, 18:30

Well apparently its only the second owner. The first one used it on and off, but the second owner hardly used it at all.. We will see.. but yes looks in reasonable condition. I have the high res photos and it looks really straight and clean. Time will tell.

Jengo
Midshipman

Post by Jengo » Sep 23rd, '20, 17:59

G’day TSP people,
As a long-term lurker of this forum, I thought it high time I joined and contributed something to the site, instead of looking over Davidjohn’s shoulder at his computer screen.
A little about myself in relation to being a member of TSP and how I will fit in on this web-site:
I’m co-owner of Hartley TS 18 Hobbit and enjoy cruising with Davidjohn even though he sometimes refers to me as Mrs Hobbit.
On the odd occasion, he can escape to the Lakes without me, but it’s not very often, as I quite enjoy the chance to get out on the water and sail the briny or freshwater deeps as much as he does.
My favourite cruising waters are The Gippsland Lakes and Westernport and have spent many hours on and in the respective waters with Davidjohn.
I like to take my drawing stuff and watercolour paints when we go out, and enjoy journalling our cruising trips with an old-fashioned method, by using, wait for it, paper.
Did I just hear someone Gasp?!!!!!!!
I also love taking a go-pro out with us and obtain, when it’s not blowing a gale, some interesting footage to create small movies. Davidjohn is too busy sailing to take an interest in making movies, so I’m happy doing my thing on the “Hobbit” whilst he enjoys tweaking the sails to make the boat sail better.
I’m not going to bore you all with my lack of technical knowledge, there’s enough of you on this site who have way more experience and knowledge than me to answer other Noobies questions. I will leave that part of the joy of TSP to youse peoples, but no promises.
I will however, endeavor to share our trips with drawings, sketches and the rough watercolour pictures I enjoy creating and maybe a movie or two. It might be interesting for people to see trailer sailing in a “yarty” perspective. (once we’re out of lockdown that is)
Cheers for now
Jengo
Hartley TS 21 &quot;Pterodactyl&quot; sailing Lake Victoria 2011<br />A5 Watercolour painting by Jennifer Goard 2018
Hartley TS 21 "Pterodactyl" sailing Lake Victoria 2011
A5 Watercolour painting by Jennifer Goard 2018

Johny
Inshore Skipper

Post by Johny » Sep 23rd, '20, 18:04

Wow, welcome Jengo. It'll be great to get an artistic take on sailing. Can't wait to get back to the lakes.
Jarcat 6, Kismet. 6M Catamaran. 9.8HP 2 Stroke Tohatsu.
Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV tow car.
AVAN Cruiseliner land yacht.
https://jarcat6.blogspot.com.au/

Return to “Applying for Membership & Feedback”