It is currently Sep 19th, '18, 09:17

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Value for money?
PostPosted: Jan 11th, '13, 18:14 
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Have thanks: 47 times
Hi all, I'd like to get your comments on some recent work I had done. I just want to test out the monopoly in yaringa. In you veiw, fair price and service?

1 sail repairs
David Ryan sails.
Lobbed on him yesterday and asked him to push through the follow before tonight (fri)
A. Lengthen #1 bolt rope
B lengthen aboves leech line
C. Supply and fit missing top batten of main
D. Patch holes in batten ends (3 of)
E. lengthen main leech line
All done by 4Pm today for $150

2. Trailer repairs
Saw him on a Monday and all done by the Thursday.

Remove and replace
A. Four hubs
B. two brakes
C. Hydraulics
D. Coupling
E. jockey wheel
Paint with cold gal (rubbish stuff can already see the rust coming thru after one dunk)

Check to make sure all good for long trip.

Trailer is 1978 vintage

$1360

Thoughts?

Botterill Explorer 16 #10 - Captain Phasma
Macgregor 26X - Lollipop Apocalypse

Post subject: Re: Value for money?
PostPosted: Jan 11th, '13, 18:38 
Admiral

Have thanks: 498 times
Under the circumstances I don't think that you have any complaints really about the sailmaker. I have had work done cheaper but have never given a time frame, so i guess that would up the ante. I had the bolt rope stretched, a minor repair on a batten pocket, slugs to replace the use the rope, slugs put into the foot, and 8" taken out of the foot at the clew tapering down to the tack. $ 60. :D

The trailer work, mmm, sounds a bit over the top, but not a lot from my experience. Had two different folks work on trailers in the last year or so and cannot say that I have been impressed with either. One gave me a quote and then went back on it, we came to an agreement, 8) and the second "forgot" exactly what I had asked him to do. :shock: So, have found a good sailmaker, but not sure that good trailer guys exist at this time. :wink:

Coops.

PostPosted: Jan 11th, '13, 22:16 
Yachtmaster

Have thanks: 589 times
Rick, by remove and replace do you mean fit brand new hubs, brakes, hydraulics, coupling and jockey wheel?If so, that's a fair price given the time constraints.

PostPosted: Jan 11th, '13, 22:47 
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Hi pd, yep all that stuffs new.
Thanks, see you next week!

PostPosted: Jan 11th, '13, 23:54 
Admiral

Have thanks: 1038 times
I took a jib to John Hooper on Wednesday afternoon for a repair to some minor fraying on the foot where it rubs on the pulpit. I opened it out to show him the problem and he immediately dropped into the hole in the floor at his sewing machine and set about fixing it on the spot. Then at about the same point I began to realise I had a grand total of about $3.85 on me, he told me he didn't feel he could charge me for such a minor job.

The sail work you describe sounds similar in scale to having John fit slugs to my main, along with some minor repairs to damaged batten pockets that he spotted and the price is about the same as I paid, and as you've probably guessed, I'm happy with what he charges.

If the trailer work was supply 4 hubs (2 disks, 2 unbraked), 2 calipers, coupling and master cylinder, hydraulic pipes, hoses and clips, and a jockey wheel, all new parts, and fit all parts, I could see that sort of money.

As a guide, in 1998 I paid about $600 for (supply ONLY) 2 disk hubs, cable calipers, caliper mounting tabs, override coupling and associated parts, cable and adjuster; eg: the parts to fit brakes to a single axle trailer around 750kg to 1000kg. Recent research suggests prices are much the same today. Add 2 unbraked hubs and a jockey wheel, make it all hydraulic instead of cables, pay retail rather than best available price for parts and pay someone to fit it all, and I could see parts being around $1000 and half a days labour at $60/hour.

I personally think it is too much to pay, but that's why I do that sort of work myself. More to the point though, is it reasonably competitive with alternative suppliers? - it doesn't sound outrageous to me.

A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.

PostPosted: Jan 12th, '13, 10:05 
Yachtmaster

Have thanks: 147 times
I agree with Zeb about the trailer - parts and labour add up. When I got a new axle and braked hubs calipers etc for Rollercoaster in 2009 it was close to $1000. I didn't shop around much since the place was around the corner. Even then I fitted it to the boat myself.

You could always ask for an itemised account if you are concerned.

BTW the shiny new trailer frame under Rollercoaster that Zeb now owns was great value from the Trailer Factory. Certainly worth getting a quote if yours needs anything like major repairs or gets too rusty.

Having said that the old frame looked horrible since it wasn't galv but you try cutting it up! Underneath there was plenty of steel.

regards

Stephen

Nacra 14sq 'Vamoose'

PostPosted: Jan 12th, '13, 22:18 
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Thanks guys. I was very happy with service and now am comfortable about the price.

Sailmaker: David Ryan of Ryan Sails
Trailer: Condor Trailers, western port Engineering

Cheers