It is currently Dec 15th, '17, 06:00

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Jun 13th, '14, 21:00 
Admiral

Have thanks: 920 times
My 1999 Rodeo has a 4L30-E auto transmission which is misbehaving intermittently (most of the time, but not always, thankfully, I hate faults that hide when you try to diagnose them!).

I've got the factory workshop manual and from the look of it shift solenoid B is the culprit and the problem is almost certainly electrical in nature since it cuts in and out and when it is working everything is fine. I'll go over the electricals tomorrow in daylight to establish if the problem is internal or external, but if it's inside the gearbox I don't fancy doing it myself.

So getting to the point, does anyone know of an automatic transmission workshop in the South East suburbs that they are prepared to recommend?

A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.

PostPosted: Jun 13th, '14, 23:00 
Able Skipper

Have thanks: 125 times
Go to the one that the cabbies use.
Which one is that?
Ask a cab owner.

PostPosted: Jun 13th, '14, 23:46 
Admiral

Have thanks: 920 times
I used to drive cabs. The local depot does all their own work.

My gearbox is used in some BMW models, the Opel Omega that the VT Commodore was based on, and Rodeos/Fronteras, but not any Falcons or Commodores!

I've narrowed the problem down to "Solenoid B" and almost certainly to an intermittent short to earth on a particular wire. I'm about to go out to the car and try to talk to the TCM with my laptop, otherwise I'll extract the fault code manually (with a paperclip) in the morning, but there's really no other way to get the same symptoms, which are caused by solenoid B being turned on when it shouldn't.

In the unlikely event that the solenoid itself needs replacing, it's inside the pan, behind the filter, retained by one roll pin. And I've already got a filter and pan gasket kit and a drum of transmission fluid which were going to go into it at my next service.

I think I'm going to be fine on my own with this one afterall, but I was rather worried for a while. Complete second hand transmissions start at about $400 and reconditioned transmissions cost several thousand dollars!

A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.

PostPosted: Jun 14th, '14, 11:35 
CompetentCrew

Have thanks: 15 times
Hi Zeb,
AW Automatics Factory 1, 25 Kevin Avenue Ferntree Gully 3156, Andrew Williams (03) 9758 0448.
Good honest service but might be a bit far from home for you!
Barry