Imexus 28 Specs and Info

Give the specs of the trailer sailers you know off and their pro's and con's
Grith
Inshore Skipper

Re: Imexus 28 Specs and Info

Post by Grith » Nov 1st, '18, 19:57

Hi Pdandy I might be taking Mikes suggestion on board in future but as my yacht has only done 50 hours on water since new I have yet to have that problem. When I purchased my used 2009 yacht last year it had less that 30 hours of on water use and many parts where still wrapped in plastic and unused or unopened. I had test sailed but not purchased another a couple of years prior but it was just too premature to buy back then.
Graeme
Grith
South Coast NSW
Imexus 28 2009
Diesel Inboard Cruising Power Sailer
Hobie Adventure Islands (sailing trimaran kayaks)
VW Touareg

Grith
Inshore Skipper

Post by Grith » Nov 2nd, '18, 23:29

Hi All Attached is an interesting comparison shot of the stern of both an Imexus 28 Outboard Version and a Macgregor. If you imagine the large outboards fitted there you can see the Macgregor is pretty squeezy to get into from land or water whilst the Imexus is very generous. The inboard version of the Imexus has a larger centralised cockpit opening and is way more generous again with room to move around on the swim platform making an ideal entry, exit area and also an excellent outdoor shower area. Above this shot is a shot of the Imexus inboard stern. This large centralised opening and removal of the fold down centre seat has allowed the retro fitting of a tiller to my Imexus. The new tiller which I have yet to photograph has a removable attachment to the current central pin on the twin rudders link arm allowing you to detach the wheel steering/motor arm and drop on the tiller link fitting. The wheel then still turns the inboard leg giving two separate steering options. The new tiller is yet to be tested in high winds but performed well in moderate conditions. It was like having a whole new boat controlling the Imexus with a tiller rather than the small power boat type steering wheel. I had intended to fit a much larger wheel which would have blocked up movement in the cockpit somewhat but this will now not be necessary. I will also now be able to fit a tiller auto pilot rather than the more expensive and complex wheel versions. I will post some photos when I next get out on the yacht. Just didn’t think about taking some photos when my friend David and I fitted it on my last visit to the yacht.
Attachments
95A88B60-DA72-490F-B34A-3DD20C8C68BB.jpeg
Stern of Inboard Imexus 28 Inboard Version
77318B97-E19E-4198-9AFA-07AB6026EE72.jpeg
Comparison of Imexus and Mac Sterns
Last edited by Grith on Nov 3rd, '18, 08:09, edited 1 time in total.
Grith
South Coast NSW
Imexus 28 2009
VW Touareg

Grith
Inshore Skipper

Post by Grith » Nov 3rd, '18, 07:16

Hi All I am still learning the requirements of posting photos on this forum and how to do this from my iPhone.
Trying to get them small enough has been a challenge at times. I have posted here a couple more shots of the stern of my Inboard version of the Imexus 28. The large rear lift up engine cover on my yacht opens to reveal almost the entire opening consumed by motor. I can access the sides of the motor by removing the rear bulkhead behind the queen bed and actually crawl up beside it but it’s not much more than a hand/foreman gap around the engine from the top despite the huge engine hatch. The slightly smaller engined yacht that passed through my hands briefly didn’t have this issue. I believe Brian who purchased and then had the 180 HP Yanmar fitted to now my yacht had a very long period of adaptions and modifications to squeeze the huge motor into Supa Dream. It was barely commissioned when I purchased it but when empty of just about everything had cracked 30 knots during commissioning trials. I haven’t opened it right up but have seen early twenties with plenty of throttle left. The outboard version I test sailed with a view to purchase several years ago in Brisbane was fully loaded with full cruising gear, water, fuel, waterballast onboard and multiple passengers and still made late teens with a 120HP outboard. I was more interested in it’s sailing ability which was good and cemented the Imexus as the choice when I finally came to purchase.
Attachments
BA436BA2-9188-493E-9C02-EE17AD5F7856.jpeg
Rear Boarding Ladders Rudders and ZF Leg
BA436BA2-9188-493E-9C02-EE17AD5F7856.jpeg (38.48 KiB) Viewed 571 times
7378F310-9D09-4992-96F5-51C85406FAE8.jpeg
Rear Fold Down Targa Bar and Mast Support
Grith
South Coast NSW
Imexus 28 2009
VW Touareg

Grith
Inshore Skipper

Post by Grith » Nov 4th, '18, 17:54

Hi All I have now taken a shot of the new experimental tiller the Eric of Erflo designed and built for me in Perth using the other Imexus I swapped trailers with as an experimental template. Deep thanks to Eric and Flo for all their work and help in this pretty big exersize of buying that yacht in the far SW of WA and then towing it in two stages to the South Coast of NSW.
They called off the club race this afternoon due to high and gusting winds so it probably wasn’t going to be a good day for testing anyway so just did some other improvements as I was up at the club anyway with my daughter who was out on her Flying Ant in the morning.
Also took a shot of the cockpit which I have added here as well. Next upgrade is a tiller extension!🙂
Attachments
8AD8F60C-7B57-4D76-A376-EF6B3A8F4467.jpeg
Imexus 28 Cockpit with cover over wheel and instruments.
3E8167F7-C046-4FDE-9116-1365E50491EB.jpeg
New tiller arrangement for my Imexus 28
3E8167F7-C046-4FDE-9116-1365E50491EB.jpeg (51.41 KiB) Viewed 555 times
Grith
South Coast NSW
Imexus 28 2009
VW Touareg

Grith
Inshore Skipper

Re: Imexus 28 First Shakedown Trip

Post by Grith » Jan 8th, '19, 12:40

Hi All I have just completed the first real shakedown cruise of the Imexus 28 doing a week long cruise on the Shoalhaven River near Nowra South Coast NSW. The yacht performed very well except for the inboard engine which I discovered has a sea water heat ex-changer impeller issue probably from so little use since the engine installation nearly 8 years ago.
My recent just running back and forward the the start line at the club hadn't identified this issue as the engine also has a closed coolant system and wasn't running long enough to overheat.
It was a bit of a pain as the girls had been looking forward to some tubing/knee-boarding along with the camping and sailing so that part of the trip was canned along with our first planned ocean passage and river mouth exit to go around to Jervis Bay.
The electric 1003 Torqeedo stepped up to the plate and pushed the yacht along when needed at just over 3 knots on very conservative throttle settings and up to over 5 knots briefly at WOT.
The yacht was very comfortable for 3 people and could accommodate 1 or 2 more without over crowding it I feel.
Several newly fitted systems and extras worked fine like the solar panels powering primarily the Waeco fridge/freezer along with the dodger, bimini, origo stove and cockpit table.
I am hard at finalizing further fitout for the first real test being the big tow up to the Whitsundays for several weeks on water in April this year.
I initially found it pretty daunting cutting big holes in what is like a new brand new yacht but have become more comfortable with hacking holes into it with the reciprocating saw and the hole saw now. Adding them up now I think I have well over a square meter of ex pieces of my yacht in the garage. These have been replaced with the stove, an extra opening porthole, a number of large storage hatches some with sealed compartments and also some extra access hatches. The storage capacity for long trips is now immense.
Despite the one overseas capsize incident many years ago in a precursor Odin 820 I chose to run the yacht on this trip without the 730 liters of water ballast filled as the weather was mild. With now nearly 400kgs wet weight low mounted inboard engine, 180 liters of low mounted drinking water,140 litres of Diesel, 350 amp hours of batteries and the 165kg supplementary lead ballast I feel that this seems OK in anything but really big winds or waves. I also have another (unused this trip) 2 x 100 liters of fresh water capacity mounted centrally down low beside the water ballast tank that can be both filled or used as 100 liters of pumped movable water ballast.
I will carefully test this theory in a variety of winds and conditions but suspect that in full cruising mode that the main water ballast will only be necessary in bigger winds or waves and perhaps reaching under spinnaker. Whilst having the option to quickly add 730kgs of water ballast when needed is a great, leaving it empty with so much other low mounted weight on board should be fine.
This could be a further advantage of the Water Ballasted Inboard Imexus as many other normally ballasted yachts can become overloaded when several weeks of provisions and all the desired cruising equipment is added for extended trips.
Regards Graeme.
PS The new tiller also worked very well but this extended use identified it needs to be longer, mounted higher and have a tiller extension. It was really good to go back to tiller steering and reserve the wheel just for when motor steering with the huge inboard leg.
BB62537A-7C2B-4C79-BCA3-1028C04E7C6F.jpeg
BB62537A-7C2B-4C79-BCA3-1028C04E7C6F.jpeg (47.18 KiB) Viewed 472 times
3622DC68-74FA-4A3B-BF9F-D13DB37B9F11.jpeg
3622DC68-74FA-4A3B-BF9F-D13DB37B9F11.jpeg (37.65 KiB) Viewed 471 times
Last edited by Grith on Jan 8th, '19, 13:31, edited 1 time in total.
Grith
South Coast NSW
Imexus 28 2009
VW Touareg

Grith
Inshore Skipper

Post by Grith » Jan 8th, '19, 13:26

Hi All Still learning about posting on this forum. I couldn’t get the extra two photos of the recent trip to post so have added them here.
Regards Graeme
A2125A51-E5FA-4EE4-87F2-D28772D6ED02.jpeg
A2125A51-E5FA-4EE4-87F2-D28772D6ED02.jpeg (44.56 KiB) Viewed 468 times
BC766E5D-29BF-4F63-AFAA-0045C4A6BE7D.jpeg
BC766E5D-29BF-4F63-AFAA-0045C4A6BE7D.jpeg (34.06 KiB) Viewed 468 times
Grith
South Coast NSW
Imexus 28 2009
VW Touareg

Grith
Inshore Skipper

Post by Grith » Jan 22nd, '19, 22:07

Hi All I have now fitted the longer tiller which works really well. It was a shame to replace my friend Eric’s tiller after all his hard work to create it but the actual mechanism is per his design, create and fit but as with many prototypes a further modification requirement became evident after use. The new tiller is around 40cms longer, angled higher to come over my leg when seated and with a short lift it comes over the top of the cockpit return backrest allowing getting the tiller harder over on the rare occassions when needed. It also is in a comfortable position to steer between my legs when standing to see close forward and the bow and bowspit. Next additions will be a tiller extension for sitting outboard on the side and a tiller autopilot. Thanks again to Eric and Flo of Court 750 Erflo for all their assistance. There is further discussion about grey nomading on trailer sailers on a thread in the general area.
Regards Graeme
Attachments
A14C6BCF-EEB6-4870-B568-4A397B1025BB.jpeg
Newly fitted replacement longer tiller.
A14C6BCF-EEB6-4870-B568-4A397B1025BB.jpeg (42.22 KiB) Viewed 440 times
195E6A5C-02DB-4233-9C40-7D87767849E4.jpeg
Another angle showing the high backrest depth and opening porthole for the rear queen berth under the cockpit.
195E6A5C-02DB-4233-9C40-7D87767849E4.jpeg (43.32 KiB) Viewed 442 times
Grith
South Coast NSW
Imexus 28 2009
VW Touareg

Grith
Inshore Skipper

Post by Grith » Jan 31st, '19, 21:06

Hi All Imexus have upgraded their website and I have attached the link here.
https://imexusyachts.com/portfolio/proj ... quare-book
Regards Graeme
Grith
South Coast NSW
Imexus 28 2009
VW Touareg

Grith
Inshore Skipper

Post by Grith » Feb 10th, '19, 09:07

Hi All Reading through some old threads on other yachts I came across One regarding the v berth length for RL28’s. I think if this area of the RL28 wasn’t quite so small I might never have ended up with the Imexus 28. Can some one advise me was Rob Legg fairly short?
At six foot 2 inches and a preference to sleep face down and stretched out these otherwise supremely capable large TS’s just couldn’t accommodate me. An even taller friend of mine Brian sleeps in the saloon a bit curled up but from some years of caravanning as well as trailer sailing I prefer to crawl off to a made up bed sometimes late not at that time go about deconstructing tables and constructing beds late. Potential separate partner bed time preferences are also relevant here.
I would have saved a lot of money if Rob Legg has just built that v berth much bigger.🙂
Like some other comments old back war wounds precluded many other yachts as a weekend stooped is entirely different from a few weeks to months that way.
These compromises in part led me to my ultimate choice of the somewhat unusual Imexus 28 which has two very generous and long double berths both the huge v berth and the very large undercockpit floor bed.
Standing headroom “just” at the sink/stove area at six foot one (we all stoop a little with age) completed the package of wants for long term comfortable live aboard periods. The enclosed shower toilet however is for smaller people than me if inside showering is required. Petite ladies fine, and perfectly adequate as a head but I shower on the swim platform on the stern as circus like contortions would be needed for me to shower in this enclosed space.It is fitted with in floor sump from the factory and now auto bilge pump by me.
Another nice thing about the Imexus is opening portholes including one in the shower/head, one in the rear berth area, two above the kitchen and port settee. One over the starboard settee and a glass front opening hatch over the V berth all of these with flyscreens.
The extra benefits of the big inboard were definately secondary to my original purchasing decision whilst perviously owning a 15 knot capable under engine Jarcat6 meant I recognised many advantages in motoring at speed on rare occassions.
My previous choice 16 years ago had been the Australian Built Machman 28 which also had a significant number of these features. Life got in the road of that purchase and upon review I think Imexus has done a better job again of creating a truely versatile trailable cruising yacht.
Regards Graeme
Last edited by Grith on Feb 13th, '19, 22:16, edited 1 time in total.
Grith
South Coast NSW
Imexus 28 2009
VW Touareg

guzzis3
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Post by guzzis3 » Feb 10th, '19, 15:58

As far as I know Rob Legg is still kicking, no pun, and an active participant in the RL forum.

It is well worth reading his essay on the design of the RL28. It explains beautifully why it is as it is. Basically he very sensibly asked people what they wanted and never got 2 same answers so built a compromise which you either acceptor not. I'm 5'6" and I wouldn't want to sleep with a partner in that V berth, so I'd have to use the dinette all the time. The thing is though the RL28 is a beautiful package. They don't have serious problems,they sail nicely, have decent accommodations and are decent trailer boats. There isn't much in that price bracket that will beat one as an all rounder.

Grith
Inshore Skipper

Post by Grith » Feb 10th, '19, 19:57

Hi Guzzis3 I will go on the forum and ask Rob. Whilst many may feel my six foot two is more desirable than five six I can assure you it has been a huge disadvantage in many areas of my life. I would gladly swap you 4 inches or more given the choice. As an ex motor racing driver I had no chance at the big time despite some talent as I was too tall and big. Whilst driving my tiny classic car and having just done a fantastic demonstration run on the Rally Australia circuit on the foreshore in Perth I was approached whilst still sitting in it by a manufacturers talent scout. He saw the tiny car and assumed a tiny driver not special mods to the floor pan, seat and rear fire wall just to fit me in. The moment I unfolded 6 foot 2 from the car we chatted, he smiled, nodded and walked away. Those formula 1 drivers and world rally champions are nearly all jockeys in stature. Yacht berths are also almost always set at six foot and many shorter again. My height has been a problem for yachting, car racing, extreme kayaking and many other passions. My Jarcat 6 at least had a 6 foot 4 double bed if narrow (cosy with partner). I agree the RL 28 is a really great cruising package but couldn’t get myself enthused about the dinette double berth option for sleeping at my size. I think a comfortable sized double bed is perhaps the most important feature followed by headroom then ablutions privacy as far as just the accommadation aspect goes from my perspective. Regards Graeme
Attachments
7695C900-F75C-45AB-A99E-0A99932EDA3A.jpeg
Tiny Bertone X1/9 race car that fitted my 6 foot 2 frame with mods.
7695C900-F75C-45AB-A99E-0A99932EDA3A.jpeg (65.78 KiB) Viewed 251 times
Last edited by Grith on Feb 13th, '19, 22:11, edited 1 time in total.
Grith
South Coast NSW
Imexus 28 2009
VW Touareg

Grith
Inshore Skipper

Post by Grith » Feb 10th, '19, 20:54

Hi I have just checked all the berth sizes on the RL 28 to find they max out at 6 foot. This was common back then and like in hotels these days I just cannot get comfortable even sprawled diagonally across double beds of this length. I won’t stay unless I can get a queen double or king single. Many modern cruising yachts are creating under cockpit floor large double beds and some have very generous v berths yet few TS’s have these as most are now of much older vintage yachts like the RL 28’s.
These designs are changing to suit modern average heights but are still relatively rare in TS’s. At school in the seventies I was the third tallest out of about 130 boys in my year. These days when going to my daughters high school I have ceased to feel exceptionally tall at all due to the high number over over 6 foot boys with some as young as 14 taller than me. Must be the growth hormones in Mac Donald’s!
Regards Graeme
Grith
South Coast NSW
Imexus 28 2009
VW Touareg

Grith
Inshore Skipper

Post by Grith » Feb 11th, '19, 07:34

Hi All The overheating problem previously mentioned which denied the girls some fun tubing/ kneeboarding on our recent first shakedown cruise is now fixed. It was as guessed the seawater impeller which had disintergrated from age. Every early use of my yacht brings another thing to learn and understand.
I had once before had an impeller fail whilst chartering in the Whitsundays but as previously an outboard owner I was unaware of the regular replacement required for this critical part. Live and learn!
Subsequent to replacing this I have now completed a full day of sea trials on the motor and it’s capabilities.
Previous uses have been fairly limited and with the exception of a couple of relatively short straight runs could have been adequately handled by the usual 9.9hp outboard fitted to most larger cruising TS’s.
I took my daughter and friends kneeboarding and tubing for the trial and it was a reavalation. I have previously done these activities in regular ski boats or trailer power boats. Usually it involves a fair bit of rough riding pounding over waves whilst at speed towing unless conditions are mirror smooth. Even then your own wake creates this same pounding.
The Imexus towed at 16-20knots with plenty of throttle in reserve (25 knots for a few short bursts which saw the tubing become flying) and was exceptionally smooth throughout despite the chop building during the day. It carved turns with precision leaning over very hard on full lock and throwing a significant outside bow wave when doing so. There was no cavitation and no side slip at all despite my strong attempts to provoke this and the steering was razor sharp. Whilst transitting out to the appropriate ski area into the wind the fuel consumption at 5.5 - 6 knots was 1.6 liters per hour which is similar to a four stroke 9.9hp outboard. At around 18-20 knots whilst also towing it was around 18 litres per hour.
Whilst definately a secondary consideration when purchasing this day long trial has given me huge confidence in the capability of my yacht as a fast power cruiser. We had a fair bit of cruising equipment on board for this trial and I am confident that with a multi week cruising load onboard that it would still push to around 25 knots if required.
This certainly opens up some more adventurous trips for the future. Recently a set of trailable power cruisers of around 25 foot crossed Bass Straight in company easily and quickly. With this much reserve power on tap and the way the yacht used and handled it this crossing may even be feasible. The notoriously changeable weather on that crossing precludes most TS’s from doing this as the shallow sea with potentially steep waves can make longer passage times a risk. Being able to just put the hammer down if conditions look like deteriorating makes this much less risky. Next step is probably bar crossings as the controlled power response was as good as any mono powerboat I have previously done these in.
Overall it was surprising how capable the yacht was as a high speed power cruiser given all the negative press it’s smaller distant cousin the Macgregor 26 has received about being a compromise boat not good at anything. I have not done similar high speed motoring trials in the Macgregor so will refrain from comment but can definately say my Imexus is a very competent power boat in addition to its main role as a cruising yacht. Regards Graeme
Attachments
19A08C65-576B-4DFC-BA26-8D9676B2A7F2.jpeg
Impeller now replaced
19A08C65-576B-4DFC-BA26-8D9676B2A7F2.jpeg (24.23 KiB) Viewed 326 times
49B26C02-95AB-43F2-8719-8B69A8B1493B.jpeg
Tubing behind a yacht!
49B26C02-95AB-43F2-8719-8B69A8B1493B.jpeg (39.88 KiB) Viewed 332 times
Grith
South Coast NSW
Imexus 28 2009
VW Touareg

INMA
Admiral

Post by INMA » Feb 13th, '19, 15:20

Graeme, the Yanmar manual would have a method of testing the power unit without the need to leave the jetty.

On commercial vessels in survey, it generally requires the vessel to be tied up to the jetty then motored in gear ar different speeds. Depending on the risks, its normal to work the power unit at more than 50% throttle depending on intended service. I've not been involved in pleasure craft but an hours hot running at the propeller higher cruising speed would be a good start.

Its the same for most marine installations including small outboards, tie the boat securely select forward and put the required load on the power unit for a length of time. If there is a failure at the jetty, its better than having the failure in exposed waters.

I always do a similar hot run after launching to bring any surprises out before casting off.
Nothing is free, abuse the environment and nature will make us pay the cost with interest.

Anyone ignoring the environment, is probably neglecting our children's future.

Grith
Inshore Skipper

Post by Grith » Feb 13th, '19, 21:41

Hi Inma I have all the Yanmar service, use and workshop manuals for the 4by2180 motor and ZT350 leg and none mentions testing tied to the jetty as a recommended process. I had the operation and installation manuals previously but now have the full set and have read them cover to cover. It’s a good idea I admit but I would have needed to do it at a deep commercial jetty as I bet I would scour all the surroundings and possibly damage the pontoon if I cranked the beast up tied to our clubs pontoon jetty.🙂
Fortunately I have the electric Torqeedo mounted as an auxiliary engine and have sails so the recent week long cruising trip still went fine despite finding out 15-20 minutes into the trip that the main engine was beginning to overheat. The girls did miss their kneeboarding opportunity back then but I made it up to Annabel recently with a whole day blasting around the lake towing her and friends at outrageous speeds.🙂
The inboard has no waterflow indicator outlet stream like many outboards so it was difficult to ascertain that the seawater impeller had failed. The closed fresh water coolant system means it takes some time for the engine to heat up so a quick 5-10 minutes at the jetty wouldn’t have indicated a fault I feel. Thanks for the suggestion anyway. Regards Graeme
PS for those reading this thread Rob Legg tragically passed away this week only days after Guzzis3 had recommended contacting him. Very sad.☹️
Attachments
1BC286A8-66D6-47AC-8D18-6BA7B91A0C72.jpeg
Imexus on the club pontoon beside an RL24 like Greg’s
1BC286A8-66D6-47AC-8D18-6BA7B91A0C72.jpeg (37.18 KiB) Viewed 34 times
Last edited by Grith on Mar 21st, '19, 08:40, edited 1 time in total.
Grith
South Coast NSW
Imexus 28 2009
VW Touareg

Grith
Inshore Skipper

Post by Grith » Mar 21st, '19, 08:22

Hi All I found this video which whilst a bit lame has more focus on the appropriate use of the Imexus 28 punctuated by a very short clip on its use as a power boat making the whole thing a bit more palitable to watch. I rarely use the big engine but it’s fun on occassions.
I note with sadness my previous post on this thread was a response to INMA Greg now passed. A font of knowledge in many areas and very helpful if sometimes a bit off track more recently perhaps due to his serious illness. Missed by many others as well as me I am sure.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pMGk1ERDn ... 4AWx78mOyY#
The mast raising section in the early stages of the video shows two men doing it. By utilising the cabin top sheet and halyard winch my slight 15 yo daughter can get the mast up by winching. It is a really great system which allows easy lowering for bridges and powerlines as all the mast handing equipment is permanently attached and is out of the way when the mast is up. All you need to do is release one safety pin at the foot of the Genoa ( which doesn’t really need to be put in) and release the jammer on the cabin roof and the mast lowers back. As soon as you are clear winch back up. If you don’t use the security pin the whole operation can be handled by one person remaining in the cockpit. Also my Australian built alloy trailer has a longer forward triangle meaning the ability to open the rear hatch of the car and no need to get to close to the water to launch. Regards Graeme
Grith
South Coast NSW
Imexus 28 2009
VW Touareg

guzzis3
Lakes & Bays Skipper

Post by guzzis3 » Mar 21st, '19, 19:44

Geez that ramp is both tight and steep....how would you go recovering if it was wet....

Grith
Inshore Skipper

Post by Grith » Mar 21st, '19, 20:44

Appropriate 4x4’s only in my view for big TS’s.
Attachments
57058CA2-DB23-4F7F-84FF-D1EDAE71000E.jpeg
VW Touareg 4x4 towing an Imexus across Australia late last year.
57058CA2-DB23-4F7F-84FF-D1EDAE71000E.jpeg (46.8 KiB) Viewed 8 times
Grith
South Coast NSW
Imexus 28 2009
VW Touareg

Return to “Trailer yachts”