First post - Griffin gts17

Give the specs of the trailer sailers you know off and their pro's and con's
Jules
Midshipman

First post - Griffin gts17

Post by Jules » Nov 18th, '18, 20:51

Hi all,

Probably around 7 years ago now I bought a Griffin gts17. I think I had just completed some paid work placement during uni, and did what any responsible young man would do and bought a boat. I picked it up from somewhere south of Wollongong, and towed it back to home in Newcastle.

When I bought the boat it had no motor or electrical system, so I got to work and installed nav lights, interior light, 12V/usb charging outlets and depth sounder. I was talking to a mates dad shortly after buying it who said he had an old outboard in his garage that he was happy to give me. It was an old two stroke 5hp Valmet, which I used for a while before buying a 4 stroke Yamaha 4hp for a bit more of a quiet, reliable experience, and for the F/N/R gear selection. Whilst going faster would be nice, it will cruise at 10km/h.

I ended up replacing both sets of wheel bearings and building an LED lightbar to replace the crappy and unreliable lights on it.

The boat came with mast, main sail and a couple of jibs, and whilst I used to sail it often, more recently I have just been motoring with it. This is for a couple of reasons. Firstly, the boat was never particularly easy to set up to sail, mainly due to the boom always wanting to hang right in the middle of the cockpit when not raised, and because the sail wouldn't drop completely and hang loose due to the battens in it. It made getting away from the ramp and raising the main difficult, and since I mainly use the boat with my girlfriend it stresses her out a bit to set it up for sailing. We usually take the boat out for overnight trips and do some fishing, so still plenty of things to do without raising the sails.

We usually use the boat in Lake Macquarie or Port Stephens, towing it with our Mitsubishi Delica Spacegear diesel.

Just recently I have had a renewed interest in it, polishing it back, making an anchor light for use without the mast, got a boat cover for it, and fitted a bimini which makes cruising around in the sun much nicer.

I think my dad uploaded a couple of videos of it sailing onto YouTube (from the Cole 19 he owned at the time) but I have also attached some photos.

Anyway, will try to keep this post updated with any adventures/upgrades on the boat, but any tips for making sailing it a bit more user friendly?

Cheers
Attachments
IMG_1542534345004.jpg
IMG_1542534345004.jpg (7.92 KiB) Viewed 129 times

Peter Yates
Admiral

Re: First post - Griffin gts17

Post by Peter Yates » Nov 18th, '18, 21:07

Welcome Jules,
Glad you are returning to sailing. Not sure if you are aware of "topping lifts" but installing one is very cheap and easy and you can then say goodbye to the boom collapsing into the cockpit.

If your friend doesn't like the sailing part, she might be happier if you fit the topping lift and maybe even lazy jacks to contain the sail when you drop it.

Look forward to hearing how you go.
Peter Y

Investigator 563 "Tricksy"
"Myf" the skiff

Daza G
Midshipman

Post by Daza G » Nov 26th, '18, 23:58

Hi Jules,
I remember seeing those videos, I was looking for any info and lay outs of the Griffin 17's a few years back. I've since finished rebuilding my Griffin with a few mods to make sailing easier. A boom topping lift is one of those mods, also I have all my lines now running back to the cockpit, the main & Jib halyards are now internal to the mast , as is the topping lift, and I have an extra slot for when I work out a spinnaker set up for it. I have a small fuller for the jib that works well ( harken ). I've also put in a traveller to give me a bit more control over the main. I bought it when Ronstan had their Traveller sale on, which I think they have on again at the moment - 30% off.
But if you need pics of any of my set up then let me know

Daza G
Midshipman

Post by Daza G » Nov 27th, '18, 01:09

in fact, go here and have a read :) viewtopic.php?t=15653

Return to “Trailer yachts”