You won't believe what this mans wife said when she found hi

Give the specs of the trailer sailers you know off and their pro's and con's
User avatar
elscotto
CompetentCrew
Posts: 120
Joined: Nov 4th, '14, 19:31

You won't believe what this mans wife said when she found hi

Post by elscotto » Aug 9th, '18, 20:18

Well I picked this up yesterday and don't know what it is.
Made of fibreglass, hull and deck, mainsail and jib, steel centreboard. About 15 or 16 feet long.
Missing a boom, and the centreboard case which is timber needs replacing, but all the fibreglass is good. Needs a bit of cosmetic work on the duco as well.
I would like to know what it is so that i can work out the rigging as there is none at the moment.

It came with 3 mains and 4 jibs, one of which is on a furler. Only one main and two jibs are any good though, one jib looks quite new actually. Rudder looks home made so will have to do something with that and fix up all the brightwork[GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES].
Anyway if you know what it is let me know eh.ImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
Haines Hunter Tramp Trimarannosaurus Rex

User avatar
zebedee
Admiral
Posts: 9904
Joined: May 9th, '07, 02:05
Location: Bayside Melbourne

Re: You won't believe what this mans wife said when she foun

Post by zebedee » Aug 9th, '18, 22:45

I believe that that's what's called a "Project"!
A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.

User avatar
elscotto
CompetentCrew
Posts: 120
Joined: Nov 4th, '14, 19:31

Re: You won't believe what this mans wife said when she foun

Post by elscotto » Aug 10th, '18, 07:00

No, cant be a project, i had one of those a few years ago and it looked nothing like.... wait...
Yes alright, i am going to spruce it up with my son (7 yo) to try and get him into sailing on his own boat, he enjoys going out in mine (tramp tri) and shows a bit of natural ability. It is part of my retirement plan to have the next Ben Ainslie support me in my old age. The rest of my portfolio is made up with investments in gold lotto tickets.
It looks worse than it is and the price was right. It also came with a ST1000 tillerpilot which i tested last night and it works! So i have that going for me.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
Haines Hunter Tramp Trimarannosaurus Rex

Jaime
Inshore Skipper
Posts: 190
Joined: Dec 7th, '16, 11:38

Re: You won't believe what this mans wife said when she foun

Post by Jaime » Aug 10th, '18, 08:46

elscotto wrote:No, cant be a project, i had one of those a few years ago and it looked nothing like.... wait...
Yes alright, i am going to spruce it up with my son (7 yo) to try and get him into sailing on his own boat, he enjoys going out in mine (tramp tri) and shows a bit of natural ability. It is part of my retirement plan to have the next Ben Ainslie support me in my old age. The rest of my portfolio is made up with investments in gold lotto tickets.
It looks worse than it is and the price was right. It also came with a ST1000 tillerpilot which i tested last night and it works! So i have that going for me.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
Wasnt that a giveaway on gumtree a couple days ago???
Boomerang 20 DK #??
Currently Slainte, soon to be....

MartinDreaming
Able Skipper
Posts: 514
Joined: Jan 28th, '15, 21:02
Location: Brisbane
Contact:

Re: You won't believe what this mans wife said when she foun

Post by MartinDreaming » Aug 10th, '18, 13:36

Dear TSP mods. Can you do something about click-bait headers on threads? Usually, I avoid anything that has "You won't believe ...", or some such in the header (Click-baiters trying to make up for the lack of actual content by getting you to react, which elicits the most un-reactive response in me). I had thought TSP would be a click-bait-free zone, but alas.
Austral 20 Mark 2 "Yakumin", Sail Number 108
http://theboattinkerer.blogspot.com.au/

User avatar
zebedee
Admiral
Posts: 9904
Joined: May 9th, '07, 02:05
Location: Bayside Melbourne

Re: You won't believe what this mans wife said when she foun

Post by zebedee » Aug 10th, '18, 14:17

Six posts in I'm still waiting to hear what his wife did say!
I expect it will run to about 40 posts, and we'll never actually find out.

So far, no ads...
A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.

User avatar
elscotto
CompetentCrew
Posts: 120
Joined: Nov 4th, '14, 19:31

Re: You won't believe what this mans wife said when she foun

Post by elscotto » Aug 10th, '18, 15:29

Sorry mate i was using the clickbait title as a bit of a joke, as this is about the fourth neglected boat i have taken in, i didnt actually think anyone bould be bothered by it.
MartinDreaming wrote:Dear TSP mods. Can you do something about click-bait headers on threads? Usually, I avoid anything that has "You won't believe ...", or some such in the header (Click-baiters trying to make up for the lack of actual content by getting you to react, which elicits the most un-reactive response in me). I had thought TSP would be a click-bait-free zone, but alas.
Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
Haines Hunter Tramp Trimarannosaurus Rex

User avatar
elscotto
CompetentCrew
Posts: 120
Joined: Nov 4th, '14, 19:31

Re: You won't believe what this mans wife said when she foun

Post by elscotto » Aug 10th, '18, 15:35

Jaime wrote:
elscotto wrote:No, cant be a project, i had one of those a few years ago and it looked nothing like.... wait...
Yes alright, i am going to spruce it up with my son (7 yo) to try and get him into sailing on his own boat, he enjoys going out in mine (tramp tri) and shows a bit of natural ability. It is part of my retirement plan to have the next Ben Ainslie support me in my old age. The rest of my portfolio is made up with investments in gold lotto tickets.
It looks worse than it is and the price was right. It also came with a ST1000 tillerpilot which i tested last night and it works! So i have that going for me.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
Wasnt that a giveaway on gumtree a couple days ago???
Yes it was, wife is actually ok with it as it was free, that will last right up until i have to spend money on it, which i already have (sandpaper).
I should get away reasonably cheaply as i am going to strip my hobie 16 (which was another project) that i got quite a few years ago. I have been fixing the delamination in the hulls as it occurs, which works for a while but it always comes back.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
Haines Hunter Tramp Trimarannosaurus Rex

User avatar
elscotto
CompetentCrew
Posts: 120
Joined: Nov 4th, '14, 19:31

Re: You won't believe what this mans wife said when she foun

Post by elscotto » Aug 10th, '18, 15:37

What i really want to know is what it is.
It was once registered in victoria so that may be a clue as to its pedigree.
It is solid fibreglass so i thought it may have been a production boat of some sort.
I was going to do a bit of a photo/log thing here, you know , paypal, patreon, the full works. I think the market is ready for the 48 year old bloke painting a dinghy demographic.
Just in case.... that was a joke.
Haines Hunter Tramp Trimarannosaurus Rex

rseydler
Able Skipper
Posts: 1195
Joined: Oct 31st, '09, 17:12
Location: BrisVegas

Re: You won't believe what this mans wife said when she foun

Post by rseydler » Aug 10th, '18, 17:14

Silly question, is there any insignia on the sail?

User avatar
elscotto
CompetentCrew
Posts: 120
Joined: Nov 4th, '14, 19:31

Re: You won't believe what this mans wife said when she foun

Post by elscotto » Aug 10th, '18, 17:28

rseydler wrote:Silly question, is there any insignia on the sail?
Unfortunately no. There were some numbers that had been removed but no symbols or anything like that.
I didnt have a real good look at the rattiest ones though, will drag them out again and double check. Thanks for the tip.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
Haines Hunter Tramp Trimarannosaurus Rex

Jaime
Inshore Skipper
Posts: 190
Joined: Dec 7th, '16, 11:38

Re: You won't believe what this mans wife said when she foun

Post by Jaime » Aug 10th, '18, 20:58

elscotto wrote:What i really want to know is what it is.
It was once registered in victoria so that may be a clue as to its pedigree.
It is solid fibreglass so i thought it may have been a production boat of some sort.
I was going to do a bit of a photo/log thing here, you know , paypal, patreon, the full works. I think the market is ready for the 48 year old bloke painting a dinghy demographic.
Just in case.... that was a joke.
Mate, i reacon the internet could really go for that, i mean, there aren't THAT many doing it... right??? Haha

How it goes well!

I cant talk though, i have a 125 that I've gotten a bunch of stuff for, considered making a bulb centre board but ditched that idea pretty quick. I did get a furler though. Kicker is that i haven't had time to get it in the water since May so i havent even set it up properly! Even went so far as rigging up a pulley setup to allow me to set it all up single handed and get decent tension on the jib :(

One day I'll get her out again...
Boomerang 20 DK #??
Currently Slainte, soon to be....

User avatar
elscotto
CompetentCrew
Posts: 120
Joined: Nov 4th, '14, 19:31

Re: You won't believe what this mans wife said when she foun

Post by elscotto » Aug 10th, '18, 22:54

Cool, this came wuth a littke furler too. Was quite siezed up but have managed to pull it apart and free the movement. The biggest suprise for me was when i hooked 12v up to the autopilot that was in a sailbag and it worked.
The guy that gave the boat to me threw it in saying he didnt know if it worked. The trailer is a throwaway i think but i have the hobie 16 trailer i can modify.
Get the 125 out, i have visions of restoring old boats to better than new but i always just get them going and have fun on them.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
Haines Hunter Tramp Trimarannosaurus Rex

Jaime
Inshore Skipper
Posts: 190
Joined: Dec 7th, '16, 11:38

Re: You won't believe what this mans wife said when she foun

Post by Jaime » Aug 11th, '18, 12:19

elscotto wrote:Cool, this came wuth a littke furler too. Was quite siezed up but have managed to pull it apart and free the movement. The biggest suprise for me was when i hooked 12v up to the autopilot that was in a sailbag and it worked.
The guy that gave the boat to me threw it in saying he didnt know if it worked. The trailer is a throwaway i think but i have the hobie 16 trailer i can modify.
Get the 125 out, i have visions of restoring old boats to better than new but i always just get them going and have fun on them.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
The 125 works just fine, have raced it and had a blast, just dont have the time or wind when i do. Need to get a new spinnaker made before the race season starts back up too...
Boomerang 20 DK #??
Currently Slainte, soon to be....

Sue H
Lakes & Bays Skipper
Posts: 325
Joined: Jun 17th, '10, 09:57
Location: Melbourne

Re: You won't believe what this mans wife said when she foun

Post by Sue H » Aug 11th, '18, 17:50

Flying 11???? we had one at the club which looked similar in layout.

User avatar
elscotto
CompetentCrew
Posts: 120
Joined: Nov 4th, '14, 19:31

Re: You won't believe what this mans wife said when she foun

Post by elscotto » Aug 12th, '18, 08:51

Nice try, but no dice. Had a look at flying 11's bit too short, then thought flying 15, nope not one of those either.
Did a search on google for production sailing dinghy last night, there are alot but couldnt find a match.
Sue H wrote:Flying 11???? we had one at the club which looked similar in layout.
Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
Haines Hunter Tramp Trimarannosaurus Rex

User avatar
elscotto
CompetentCrew
Posts: 120
Joined: Nov 4th, '14, 19:31

Re: You won't believe what this mans wife said when she foun

Post by elscotto » Aug 12th, '18, 09:24

My son and i took all the timber out yesterday and then i hit it with the gurnie.
Most of the paint came off with the pressure sprayer and most of the timber in the seat supports and transom came off with the pressure sprayer too. There really is something to be said for sealing your screw holes when they go into plywood. The ply was mush.
https://youtu.be/Sbk_2WlUWLM

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
Haines Hunter Tramp Trimarannosaurus Rex

User avatar
elscotto
CompetentCrew
Posts: 120
Joined: Nov 4th, '14, 19:31

Re: You won't believe what this mans wife said when she foun

Post by elscotto » Aug 12th, '18, 14:12

Pulled out the oldest sails and there is the remains of what looks to be some kind of sword.
Ring any bells?Image

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
Haines Hunter Tramp Trimarannosaurus Rex

User avatar
MurrayF
Inshore Skipper
Posts: 262
Joined: Oct 18th, '06, 14:17
Location: Brisbane, QLD

Re: You won't believe what this mans wife said when she foun

Post by MurrayF » Aug 12th, '18, 17:19

That's a Sabre dinghy insignia...

Image

User avatar
zebedee
Admiral
Posts: 9904
Joined: May 9th, '07, 02:05
Location: Bayside Melbourne

Re: You won't believe what this mans wife said when she foun

Post by zebedee » Aug 12th, '18, 18:09

Thats an absurdly high sail number for a Sabre.
(Unless maybe I am hopelessly out of date; mine was 332 in, uhh...1978?)
A man's boat is his Castle. The Gippsland Lakes are my moat. Castle 650 #10, Roller Coaster.

User avatar
elscotto
CompetentCrew
Posts: 120
Joined: Nov 4th, '14, 19:31

Re: You won't believe what this mans wife said when she foun

Post by elscotto » Aug 12th, '18, 18:54

Well the number on the sail was 72, that would explain why it looked so old, but i dont think the boat is a sabre. It is 16 feet long for starters.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
Haines Hunter Tramp Trimarannosaurus Rex

Jaime
Inshore Skipper
Posts: 190
Joined: Dec 7th, '16, 11:38

Re: You won't believe what this mans wife said when she foun

Post by Jaime » Aug 13th, '18, 11:02

elscotto wrote:Well the number on the sail was 72, that would explain why it looked so old, but i dont think the boat is a sabre. It is 16 feet long for starters.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
Maybe someone got a second hand sabre sail cheap
Boomerang 20 DK #??
Currently Slainte, soon to be....

Castle 610
Yachtmaster
Posts: 2074
Joined: Oct 26th, '06, 20:20

Re: You won't believe what this mans wife said when she foun

Post by Castle 610 » Aug 13th, '18, 11:53

Zeb things have moved on. Even mine is 1200 something. Apparently a new Sabre is about $15k so l might stick with the Castle
Stephen
Castle 650 'Mad Mouse'
Sabre 1205 'Wasp'
Nacra 14sq 'Vamoose'

User avatar
Johny
CompetentCrew
Posts: 85
Joined: Jul 22nd, '17, 11:54
Location: Melbourne
Contact:

Re: You won't believe what this mans wife said when she foun

Post by Johny » Aug 13th, '18, 11:57

Jaime wrote:
elscotto wrote:Well the number on the sail was 72, that would explain why it looked so old, but i dont think the boat is a sabre. It is 16 feet long for starters.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
Maybe someone got a second hand sabre sail cheap
which explains why the insignia was removed.
Jarcat 6. Trailerable 6.2M Catamaran. 9.8HP 2 Stroke Tohatsu.
https://jarcat6.blogspot.com.au/

User avatar
elscotto
CompetentCrew
Posts: 120
Joined: Nov 4th, '14, 19:31

Re: You won't believe what this mans wife said when she foun

Post by elscotto » Aug 13th, '18, 17:32

Jaime wrote:
elscotto wrote:Well the number on the sail was 72, that would explain why it looked so old, but i dont think the boat is a sabre. It is 16 feet long for starters.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
Maybe someone got a second hand sabre sail cheap
Well i hope they didn't pay much 'cause it was full of holes. Think some mice had been living there at some stage. The bottom half might make an ok sailbag though, and it had three batons. There are about four sails all up that are trash. Why do we keep our old ratty sails? Me included, i bought a nice new jib for my Tramp and put the old one in a bag in the shed "just in case", i doubt i will ever use that sail again.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
Haines Hunter Tramp Trimarannosaurus Rex

Post Reply

Return to “Trailer yachts”